Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck was purchased with a JLP CAI and it works just fine, but I really like the way the factory airbox looks and was wondering if you go from a paper filter to a K&N panel filter if it would be much of a restriction with the mods in my sig and probably a soon to be ported Eaton.

Of coarse I want all the power I can get, but I'm wondering if the factory intake, wich can only pull air from the fender would keep IAT's down better and possibly overcome the power lost from a small amount of restriction,

I know everyone loves the ever popular CAI, and I do feel the more power you make the more air you need to move and the more importan limiting the restricion becomes, but they all are more capable of pulling in warmer air from under the hood than factory designs, yes there's small tubes, ducts, and shield and all sorts of gimmicky stuff to stave agains thet, but I'm sure at wot the huge open top of my CAI is where the majority of the air is coming from while the engines under a large load especially.

·
Johnny Law
17,766 Posts
Im not sure how restrictive it is but I got a Volant intake for sale with a sealed box in the classifieds... Looks way better than the stock one and can also be modded to become a ram air intake

·
Premium Member
8,947 Posts
like i say all the time im in the 12's using my stock airbox still,

works great IMO

im not gonna change it out for anything except something like a volant

·
Premium Member
8,947 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,947 Posts
btw im sure that my air box is saving my ass,

i think with my tune and not having an extender a big CAI like an AEM would be enough to throw a rod on my current tune

·
Premium Member
8,947 Posts
I took my stock airbox off asap and went with an open filter unfortunately I did that C&L inlet, SBTB, C&L plenum, 6lb pulley all at once so I noticed a little difference by removing my stock airbox:laughing25

see i almost had an open filter on mine, i just dont see the benefits of more air if its going to be as hot as ambient temps under the hood

·
Banned
4,138 Posts
Its not that its too restrictive, a stock airbox with a hole cut in the bottom with a K&N drop in filter is not that bad for lightly modded trucks.

Anyone who mod's for the maximum airflow in and out will ditch it though, those ribs in the elbow reduce the sound and disrupt airflow, the diameter restricts the CFM. And if anyone is running a pulley with the stock airbox and no aftermarket maf or maf extender, I'll give you a warning: A 4# lower on the stock elbow and box will peg the Maf, luckily I was smart enough to datalog mine before I did some damage, the airflow (or lack their-of) causes a big vaccuum effect and forces the air over the maf at higher speeds causing the maf to read a higher voltage and count.

·
Farm Truck Owner
58,414 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,914 Posts
I cut the bottom out of the stock air box on my DD Lightning and installed a K&N panel filter. Seems to work pretty good and I can tell its flowing much better than it did. I gained a psi or so and the truck went 12.5's full weight with nothing more than a 6# lower and tune. I'm gonna see how far it will take me before putting an actual cai on the truck. Shooting for 11's this spring with the addition of a port, a more aggressive tune, and the basic weight reduction.

·
Premium Member
8,947 Posts
anybody got a picture of how much they are cutting out of the air box?

i just took out the piece that goes between the box and frame and opened that hole the whole 1/4 inch it could be opened

·
Premium Member
3,914 Posts
anybody got a picture of how much they are cutting out of the air box?

i just took out the piece that goes between the box and frame and opened that hole the whole 1/4 inch it could be opened
No pic's here but, I just more or less cut the whole bottom out of the damn thing!

·
Premium Member
8,947 Posts
No pic's here but, I just more or less cut the whole bottom out of the damn thing!

no mounting issues? damn i might have to just try it out

i cant recall but those "tabs" or whatever the hell they are should give me plenty of room to play

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
485/567 with my stock airbox, stock maf (with an extender), and stock accordian air tube. I only have two 2 inch holes cut into the bottom of it and a K&N panel filter.

Some guy actually did a flow test on one years ago...I'll see if I can find the link to his website.

·
White Lightning!
3,584 Posts
Not trying to jack ur thread Jeffs but if the box bottom is cut, which elbow would you guys suggest to help that air through to the TB and take advantage of the factory box cut???

·
Premium Member
3,914 Posts
no mounting issues? damn i might have to just try it out

i cant recall but those "tabs" or whatever the hell they are should give me plenty of room to play
I cant remember if there are mounting tabs on the bottom of the box or not(Its been 5yrs since I did it). If there are, I would have left them and just enough material to keep it mounted. In any case, mine is very secure and looking in the engine bay, you'd never know anything was ever done.

·
Premium Member
8,947 Posts
I cant remember if there are mounting tabs on the bottom of the box or not(Its been 5yrs since I did it). If there are, I would have left them and just enough material to keep it mounted. In any case, mine is very secure and looking in the engine bay, you'd never know anything was ever done.

thanks man, ill check it out

your a dick btw your DD has more mods than my toy! LOL

whats the big truck running for an intake?

·
Premium Member
3,914 Posts
thanks man, ill check it out

your a dick btw your DD has more mods than my toy! LOL

whats the big truck running for an intake?
LOL! Sorry. Gotta garage full of parts ready to go on too!
The other truck has a JLP forced air kit on it along with a thunder tube and Powerflow plenum.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts