Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
The Asshole from Mass
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a break in cruise on a nice cool 80 degree night.. got home and was checking everything out and noticed the coolant in the reservoir is pretty hot. There was even pressure when i removed the lid (never happened before)

I just stuck a meat thermometer in there and it read 120 degrees.. :smt102

Is it just me or is that way too hot?

I have a JLP race reservoir
Fluidine heat exchanger
stock intercooler
no more hard lines
And my pump IS working full blast

Thanks guys

·
Mr. Crossfire
16,162 Posts
Your fine being 120, pretty normal from cruising around and being 80*.

·
AYHIN
3,004 Posts
Agreed 120* isn't an issue. The water in the reservoir has just had the heat from the intercooler transferred to it before it heads back to the heat exchanger.

The pressure on the other hand isn't normal. Check to make sure your cap is venting properly.

·
The Asshole from Mass
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks guys, now it makes sense.. i had a brain fart and forgot that the tank is before the exchanger.

As far as the pressure, ill check out the vent tomorrow.

:bigtu

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm curious if this was at idle and how long was it parked before u checked how hot it was. I'm wondering cause I have been getting curious as I just got a SCT X4

·
Rebel from across the water
52 Posts
Has puzzled me and have not finished my JLP tank and Uprated lower rad yet.
You run ice in the tank for a run on the strip.
The ice chilled water then passes through pump and lower rad before circulating through the intercooler and back to the tank.
So the ice chilled water first passes through the lower rad which effectively will warm up the chilled water as the ambient temperature will be much higher.
Would you not want the chilled water to pass into the intercooler first ?

Just a thought however for daily driving without added ice it would not matter.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Mine usually runs 30 below ambient at cruise on interstate and 30-40 degrees at idle depending on ambient. But this is with a killer chiller��. Sorry I pop up in these kinda theads but I think most people should run them. I am not sponsored though.

·
AYHIN
3,004 Posts
Has puzzled me and have not finished my JLP tank and Uprated lower rad yet.
You run ice in the tank for a run on the strip.
The ice chilled water then passes through pump and lower rad before circulating through the intercooler and back to the tank.
So the ice chilled water first passes through the lower rad which effectively will warm up the chilled water as the ambient temperature will be much higher.
Would you not want the chilled water to pass into the intercooler first ?

Just a thought however for daily driving without added ice it would not matter.

You are correct. This is why some guys remove their heat exchangers when they go to the track.

·
Divergent
13,541 Posts
120* is terrible cause for concern. My intercooler coolant is at 40* almost all the time, it may get as high as 75* after a few back to back pulls

killer chiller ftw

·
The Asshole from Mass
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i would run a KC but i have no A/C.. :shitstormretarded

·
The Asshole from Mass
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You must be old school tuff to deal with that in Florida.??
LOL im in no way old school. Im probably one of the youngest on this forum :scared003

Im used to sweating my nutz off riding my harley so being in a vehicle at all is AC to me :bigtu

·
Registered
705 Posts
Hang on a second.... lets get this all straight i think you guys are mixing INTERCOOLER FLUID TEMP with intake air 2 (IAT2) temps.....

I cant say ive ever measured my actual fluid before.... but the IAT2 is the main thing to watch....

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
11,120 Posts
LOL im in no way old school. Im probably one of the youngest on this forum :scared003

Im used to sweating my nutz off riding my harley so being in a vehicle at all is AC to me :bigtu
So, did you remove the AC equipment? Or did you buy it that way.

I live in OKC and d.d. a Ranger in which the AC no longer works. I have no problems doing this, even in high heat and humidity. Thinking about removing all the equipment and leaving it that way for good. But there's no way I'd remove it from my L.

As for the OP, I've never measured the temp of the ic fluid. But even on the hottest of days, after putting around town, I can stick my hand in the JLP tank and it only feels luke warm. Since our body temperature is 98.6, anything that feels remotely warm is higher than that. So 120 could be luke warm. I'll have to get a thermometer and measure it soon.

·
Divergent
13,541 Posts
Hang on a second.... lets get this all straight i think you guys are mixing INTERCOOLER FLUID TEMP with intake air 2 (IAT2) temps.....

I cant say ive ever measured my actual fluid before.... but the IAT2 is the main thing to watch....
No, we are discussing the fluid temperature.
OP said he stuck a meat thermometer in the intercooler fluid.

The intercooler fluid temp is what dictates the charge temp (IAT2).
Hot blower discharge passes through the intercooler, the intercooler fluid absorbs the heat reducing the temperature of the air. The hotter the fluid, the less heat it can absorb.

It isn't unrealistic for intercooler fluid in factory style heat exchanger setup to be 120* or higher.
Even in a perfect system the fluid could only get as cool as ambient. The factory system or even an upgraded pump lines and dual pass h/e still wouldn't perform perfectly. Lines in the bay absorb heat, etc

Then my comment about a killer chiller, the intercooler fluid temps are 40-50*F, post blower.
Colder fluid temp allows for more heat transfer, therfore much colder IAT2 temps....usually within 5* of ambient.

All of this to say, the colder you get the fluid, the cooler the IAT2 will be, the more power the truck will make. :bigtu

Lots of testing done over the years shows, there is no such thing as "too much flow" in our style intercooler system. A true single pass IC, multiple pass HE, 3/4" lines, 30gpm pump, all showed big gains when pushing a setup.

·
Former Rowing Team.
04 Lightning
11,884 Posts
The fluid will cook and get warmer if the truck is sitting unless you have fans on it(the heat exchanger). Just make sure you pump is working and the IC rows are clean. That's about all you can do.

Or you can tax your a/c's in cab cooling and your radiator cooling and run a KC(or KC with drag kit at on) like i do.

·
Registered
705 Posts
120* is terrible cause for concern. My intercooler coolant is at 40* almost all the time, it may get as high as 75* after a few back to back pulls

killer chiller ftw
Well just making sure.... lots of different responses on here you saying its terrible.....

Others saying no its fine.... which if your not running a KC i would agree....

Then 1 guy asking about his sct x4 reading temps..... as far as i know the x4 won't give you the actual IC fluid temps.....

Just checking :what::rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts