Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to make the truck faster. But not really knowing what would be the best way; All motor? Boosted? or Nitrous? I have settled on all motor, but in the dark as where to start, I could really use some help as to where to start and what would be the best combo for low end torque and higher rpm hp.

Mods as of now. 75mm bbk throttle body(ported Gt40 intake), 1 5/8ths inch bbk chrome headers, bassani stainless steel exhaust, High discharge coil with 10mm wires.
PS. I would like to stay away form stroker kits.

·
AntiSocial
21 BMW M550i xDrive, 10 Nissan Murano SL
936 Posts
Heads and cam.

·
AntiSocial
936 Posts
Not sure who still supports the pushrod SBF. I used to run Ford Racing heads and an F303 cam in my Mustang, but that was nearly two decades ago. I do like the alphabet cams from Ford Racing/Motorsports though if they're still available. I think there are 4 of them, depending on your rpm range (B303, E303, F303 and X303?). Heads should still be offered from Ford, or I'm pretty sure Edelbrock or TrickFlow should have something that will work. You'll probably need 1 3/4 long tube headers to go with them, and some sort of higher rpm intake manifold and plenum.
Remember, horsepower is a calculation between torque and rpm, and since you don't want to increase displacement or go forced induction, you're going to have to rev it higher to make the power you want.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure who still supports the pushrod SBF. I used to run Ford Racing heads and an F303 cam in my Mustang, but that was nearly two decades ago. I do like the alphabet cams from Ford Racing/Motorsports though if they're still available. I think there are 4 of them, depending on your rpm range (B303, E303, F303 and X303?). Heads should still be offered from Ford, or I'm pretty sure Edelbrock or TrickFlow should have something that will work. You'll probably need 1 3/4 long tube headers to go with them, and some sort of higher rpm intake manifold and plenum.
Remember, horsepower is a calculation between torque and rpm, and since you don't want to increase displacement or go forced induction, you're going to have to rev it higher to make the power you want.
The heads I found are Trick flow twisted wedge 170cc, with an F cam. Do you have a figure for the Ford Racing heads? Like what was their size?

·
AntiSocial
936 Posts
I have no idea. Like I said, it was like 20 years ago. I’ve modded 15 cars since then.

·
Registered
847 Posts
If you are talking 400hp to the tires you won't reach that goal without going stroker or spinning the snot out of a 351.. will need 205 or larger heads and a sizeable cam. If running stock speed density the cam will be limited. However it is easy to make 400 to the tires with a little boost on a stock motor..

·
Registered
847 Posts
If it were me I would bolt on a blower with 8 psi and leave it speed density. Run a fmu for fuel and get a btm for timing. Easy and reliable. Will outrun just about any stock displacement head/cam truck too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a PowerDyne BD11A that was pulled from a 99 F250 V10. I still have all the piping, valves and spare belt. Would need the mounting bracket, crank pully and the main drive belt. Would this work to get me closer to say 350 at the crank?

·
AntiSocial
936 Posts
The V10 piping isn’t going to work with the 351. It’s based on the newer OHC motors, not the old pushrod ones.
All you basically have is the head unit. You need the rest of the kit.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I have a PowerDyne BD11A that was pulled from a 99 F250 V10. I still have all the piping, valves and spare belt. Would need the mounting bracket, crank pully and the main drive belt. Would this work to get me closer to say 350 at the crank?
The little powerdyne is a good upgrade. You can get a new bracket on eBay. I had one back in the day and ran consistent 8.7's in the 1/8th. You will make more power with that and spend less money than most head cam swaps. And you can keep most everything else stock.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
This really isn’t the right forum for your questions. Most Gen 1 Lightning owners are over on www.NLOC.net (and I send the Gen 2 Lightning owners here) but I’ll start here.

This is actually a complex question and requires more questions to be answered.

Your goal = 400hp to the crank
Your budget =
Intended use =

Then we need to know more about your truck as it sits.

Is it in good running/driving condition right now?

How many miles does the truck/Engine/trans have on it?

What modifications does it currently have?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Decent heads. Mild cam. Strong pistons/rods/crank. Maybe a few extra cubes. And hit it with a decent shot. I would not spray on the stock pistons.

Jim
The stock hyper pistons can take some punishment. My truck making well over 500rwhp and close to running 6's in the 1/8 on a stock shortblock with 205k miles... And I'm still on stock speed density.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This really isn’t the right forum for your questions. Most Gen 1 Lightning owners are over on www.NLOC.net (and I send the Gen 2 Lightning owners here) but I’ll start here.

This is actually a complex question and requires more questions to be answered.

Your goal = 400hp to the crank
Your budget =
Intended use =

Then we need to know more about your truck as it sits.

Is it in good running/driving condition right now?

How many miles does the truck/Engine/trans have on it?

What modifications does it currently have?
I am going a little lower on hp to 350, budget is whatever I can do, Use is for street. She runs very well(slightly rich on fuel) Truck has 202000k miles, motor has about 80k and trans 5k. Mods 75mm bbk throttle body(ported Gt40 intake), 1 5/8ths inch bbk chrome headers, bassani stainless steel exhaust. screamin demon coil with 10mm wires.

·
Administrator
18,597 Posts
The stock hyper pistons can take some punishment. My truck making well over 500rwhp and close to running 6's in the 1/8 on a stock shortblock with 205k miles... And I'm still on stock speed density.
I agree that they are better than their rep. And on a turbo or blower I would have confidence up past the 500HP mark. But I don't like spray on the hyper' pistons. And the easiest way to big HP numbers with speed density cam and no boost is a bottle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
80k on the motor, tell us about the motor?
It is a remanufactured motor from Ford, block numbers out it at 1995 Lightning block. Info from the previous owner, it was just a short block that he purchased and installed. Other then a slight oil consumption(valve stem seals?) and the aforementioned mods. That is all for the motor.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts