Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put the new leaf springs on truck this weekend but had an issue come up. When I bought the truck, it had long bars already installed (unsure of brand). After the install the exhaust rests and is even pushed up by the long bar and is stopped by the ground effect. Sorry for the pic, I'm at work and all I had on my phone after install. Is there a certain brand I need to use or something else I can try? I don't want my exhaust surround body piece to crack or anything because I know they are hard to find but also don't want to de-mod either
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Car

·
Registered
335 Posts
Generally it's the exhaust that would need to be modified as opposed to the long bars...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Generally it's the exhaust that would need to be modified as opposed to the long bars...

Hmm...well the exhaust is now sitting on top of the long bar but pushed against the body skirt. I cant raise the exhaust any higher. How would I modify it to work with everything?

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I would figure out what traction bars you have. I have factory leaf springs for now, but with the stifflers traction bars and full 3" exhaust I have no issues.

Reactions: dannyrok

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hmm...well the exhaust is now sitting on top of the long bar but pushed against the body skirt. I cant raise the exhaust any higher. How would I modify it to work with everything?
It's hard to say without seeing it firsthand. I would recommend taking it to a muffler shop to see what can be done with routing and muffler options.
I haven't heard of any long bars that would prevent you from lowering it your present height (I'm assuming your just running the leaf springs and not hangers or drop shackles).

Also, I would personally remove the muffler or longbars (if possible) to prevent damage to your side skirts until you get it sorted.
Just my personal opinion.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I planned to get some pics and remove the traction bar on that side for now. In the paperwork it had jlp 2 inch drop shackles and I replaced with some new belltech 2 inch drops I had laying around. Other than that, the hotchkis leafs only have two bars to them compared to the like 4 stock. I thought about putting a spacer under the axle where the ubolts clamp on to the long bars in order to lower them down so they will clear but didn't know that it would help. I'm pretty sure that's what I'll have to do but it wouldn't have an effect on anything else would it? Like ride height or functionality of long bars? I understand it might be hard to say without pics, I'll get them up tonight

·
Registered
335 Posts
The Hotchkis leafs are a different spring rate than the stockers, so you cant compare the number of leafs to one another.

Judging from the pictures, I would def take it to a reputable muffler shop. You should have wiggle room in the exhaust routing to raise it up a hair to clear the long bars.

Another option would be to get a spacer fabed for the front mounting points of the bars. From what I can see in the pictures, I dont think putting a spacer at the rear will get you what you need.

Either way, make sure you check and adjust your pinion angle once its sorted.

·
Registered
257 Posts
check the clearance from the axle to the bumpstop on the frame and add half an inch.. then check if you have room to raise the exhaust that much
if so you should be able to make things fit by raising it and cutting & angling the tips to find the notch in the side skirt.

if that's not going to work I'd simply find another little skirt piece and fill the notch & install a harley truck tailpipe

though trust me when I say to do that you're going to still have to raise the exhaust as you're not going to have clearance going over the axle using stock length hanger brackets in a lowered truck
it may look ok, but it will pound the tailpipe until it breaks off at the axle

·
Registered
335 Posts
check the clearance from the axle to the bumpstop on the frame and add half an inch.. then check if you have room to raise the exhaust that much
if so you should be able to make things fit by raising it and cutting & angling the tips to find the notch in the side skirt.
I'm not a welder or an exhaust expert, but the distance between the axle and the bump stop + half an inch seems excessive for this situation (assuming that OP is retaining the stock exhaust exit) considering the bar has less vertical travel as you get closer to the front mount point.
Can you elaborate as to the reasoning?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any how to's on pinion angle?
The Hotchkis leafs are a different spring rate than the stockers, so you cant compare the number of leafs to one another.

Judging from the pictures, I would def take it to a reputable muffler shop. You should have wiggle room in the exhaust routing to raise it up a hair to clear the long bars.

Another option would be to get a spacer fabed for the front mounting points of the bars. From what I can see in the pictures, I dont think putting a spacer at the rear will get you what you need.

Either way, make sure you check and adjust your pinion angle once its sorted.

I've never done a pinion angle adjustment before. I looked it up on youtube but got interrupted by a sick kiddo, is it something easy to do? I'll try to get into the video on my lunch break today. The bars were good before the leaf spring replacement, the reason I bring up how many leafs is because now those rear u-bolts have to be tightened up around 1/2 -3/4 inch more which I believe is causing the issue. With how the front is bolted on to the frame, I think it would be easier to make a bracket for the rear (in between axle and mounting for long bars) to kick it back down. I'm not entirely sure if re-welding exhaust will help due to its already pinched between the body panel and long bar, if its cut and welded again, i'd still be in the same situation don't you think?

·
Registered
257 Posts
well with a 3 inch lowering spring that bump stop clearance is now much more limited
the 1/2 inch allows for compression of the bump stop when the axle hits it ..and it well

my truck has a 4 inch drop in back..so far with 10' of thousands of miles on it the exhaust has been amputated by the axle as well as the bump stops have been pounded upwards by the axle..

the bottom flanges on my frame where the stops are has been bent upwards SUBSTANTIALLY..

one side is cracked and needs a notch kit to repair or prevent the frame from cracking all the way through - that bump stop now points sideways as the flange is that bent....cough
but..it all "LOOKED" ok when I first lowered it
axle moves a lot more than you might expect..though , granted, mine's a daily driver not a garage / track queen..

the side exhaust is practically at the wheel so the more clearance the better as it's at the most active end of the long bar

that and the resulting suckage (expense) incured at the exhaust shop to gain an inch or two only to find it still hits on hard bumps

·
Registered
257 Posts
Key might be losing the lightning tips and finding much shorter ones that preserve the appearance at the notch in the skirt while allowing enough space behind to add a couple of bends leading into each tip.. so the exhaust can be moved up close to the frame while allowing it to bend down going over the long bar to get to the tips..like a pair of "Z's" coming down to the tips

·
Registered
257 Posts
or if applicable the "race car solution"

cut the exhaust just before the elbow that turns to the side..toss on a pair of turn downs.. and spend a couple of weekends making a new little skirt piece with no notch..

lightning skirts and side exhaust are about style .. this is where you decide if you want to compromise for style of go with functionality..which should be determined by how the truck's going to be used
..long bars might be an indication of that....

if you make it fast enough no one's going to be able to look at it long enough to see a difference...

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
If you already had a flip kit installed,then that’s probably gonna be your issue.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you already had a flip kit installed,then that’s probably gonna be your issue.
Still learning the lingo of this platform. What exactly is that? Bought truck with a lot of stuff already done but the only thing I found in the mound of receipts for suspension was the shackles

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Still learning the lingo of this platform. What exactly is that? Bought truck with a lot of stuff already done but the only thing I found in the mound of receipts for suspension was the shackles
Most of the time a flip kit refers to moving the leaf springs to below the axle rather than on top. This helps get alot of drop most of the time. I dont think this is your problem though as your leaf springs remain on top of the axle.

Reactions: dannyrok

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Most of the time a flip kit refers to moving the leaf springs to below the axle rather than on top. This helps get alot of drop most of the time. I dont think this is your problem though as your leaf springs remain on top of the axle.
I can’t really see in his pics. Small cell screen and old eyes with very poor diabetic eyesight☹

1 - 20 of 26 Posts