Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Mr. Crossfire
16,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using the above mentioned? I went to raise my truck an inch or so and tried to put the leaf in the second hole from the top and it seems the shackle needs modification.

· Registered
1,220 Posts
Anyone using the above mentioned? I went to raise my truck an inch or so and tried to put the leaf in the second hole from the top and it seems the shackle needs modification.
Did you remove the bottom bolt of the shackle/hanger, then raise the axle high enough to clear the frame?

Please elaborate on what you're having a problem with.

· Even Then I Was Old Skool!
10,415 Posts
Brad...

I have Hotchkis TVS leafs and I had to ditch the 2" shackles and go back to stock shackles to get some clearance between the axle and frame. But I had to also cut the OEM snubber so in half to make it work. Originally I had tried stock shocks with shock extenders, that didn't work at all. Got rid of them, used the Strange Adjustables.

I'm of the belief that Hotchkis made two generations of TVS leafs for our trucks. Mine are the early ones and with no other lowering mod they dropped my back end 3.5" if not 4". Stan and I both have 2001 trucks, he put TVS leafs on it and it was much higher than mine, so he added 2" drop shackles and now we're close.

Go figure. Of course I have a 3" drop up front and a 4x4 Trans pan so I have to be careful driving over speed bumps and going up and down steep driveways (like mine). But I'm managing okay.

My suggestion is to try a set of stock shackles.

Mike

· Mr. Crossfire
16,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you remove the bottom bolt of the shackle/hanger, then raise the axle high enough to clear the frame?

Please elaborate on what you're having a problem with.
Yes I removed the shackle completely, tried to place the shackles onto the leaf on the second hole above the highest setting and no go. Seems that the end of the leaf is so thick that the shackle would need to be either grounded down or maybe a JLP shackle of some sort.

I have 2.5 inches of clearance from the rear tube to the bump stop which are trimmed flat. Wanted to raise truck up an inch or so in the rear and throw in ISO up front. Ill attach a pic with my current ride height in a minute.

· Registered
1,220 Posts
Yes I removed the shackle completely, tried to place the shackles onto the leaf on the second hole above the highest setting and no go. Seems that the end of the leaf is so thick that the shackle would need to be either grounded down or maybe a JLP shackle of some sort.

I have 2.5 inches of clearance from the rear tube to the bump stop which are trimmed flat. Wanted to raise truck up an inch or so in the rear and throw in ISO up front. Ill attach a pic with my current ride height in a minute.
Ok, I gottcha...I have the newest version of the Hotchkis leaf springs with JLP shackles.

· Mr. Crossfire
16,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stance

Attachments

· Mr. Crossfire
16,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ok, I gottcha...I have the newest version of the Hotchkis leaf springs with JLP shackles.
I bought my leafs back in November of 2014. Guess I need the jlp shackles. You have your leafs on highest setting? Have you ever tried the second holes?

· Mr. Crossfire
16,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All god info an answering my questions. One last question, are the JLP shackles longer than the belltech?

· Registered
1,561 Posts
Yes, a good bit longer. When I had my 02..6# truck..I had the jlp shackles in lowest setting and I hit the bed with them shackles leaving the line. That was the only imperfection on the truck! Going back to a stock shackle is about the best option I'd think...then would be to modify the beltech

· Mr. Crossfire
16,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks boys, much helpful with this. Back to drawing board.

10,415 Posts
Brad... No matter what aftermarket shackle you buy/use, it will _LOWER_ the back of your truck, not raise it. You need to throw in a set of _STOCK_ shackles to raise the back end.

Hell, I'm lower than you, but I'm not racing. I'm guessing that you'd like the truck to be able to "squat" more on launch?

Mike

· Divergent
13,557 Posts
Stan and I both have 2001 trucks, he put TVS leafs on it and it was much higher than mine, so he added 2" drop shackles and now we're close.

Mike

Bedcover makes a big difference. I dropped mine with hotchkis leafs and couldnt run a drop shackle when i had a bedcover, tow package and spare tire.

Ditched the spare and tow package, added 1" shackle, dtiched the bedcover moved to 2" setting

· Mr. Crossfire
16,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes this for racing Mike, seeing the issues Caleb has last week has me concerned.

· Likes the corn brew
5,340 Posts
Hotchkis leafs were a big part of making my truck hook:smt023
Why I dont run fiberglass leafs.......

Put some Hotchkis leafs back there and might have to put some traction bars with heims instead of poly bushings. You would be amazed how much those bushings move.
...then in reference to me asking if he's run FG leafs

Never have.........Id love to lose a little more weight, but dont think thats the place.

10,415 Posts
Yes this for racing Mike, seeing the issues Caleb has last week has me concerned.
Of course we can't see the suspension spacing, but if you're trucks still sitting like this... it looks higher than Caleb's truck. Stock shackles are the way to go unless you want to dick around with ride height for street and strip. Moving leafs is a PITA LOL but I did my Hotchkis swap twice, once with the drop shackles and then again when I put the stockers in. Did it by myself, jack and jackstands, probably a couple hours if you're alone. Alternative is to bag the rear LOL.

Attachments

· JDM Built/KB 3.2
2,193 Posts
Looking to go with Hotchkis leafs. I currently have the JLP shackles and since I have a 2004 I believe they were 2" higher in the rear?? Here is a picture of my truck which still sits high in the rear. If I put the Hotchkis leaf springs on I will not have any clearance issues I hope... what do you guys think.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.