Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else experiencing this? Is it possible this is an oil thing getting to my intake, and the seperator that I am getting ready to install will fix the issue? Not sure what it is but sure would like to get rid of it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
What year Lightning do you own and what are all of your mods installed onto this vehicle??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2002 no mods as of yet, but it may have something I am unaware of I bought it used from Carmax.

Just tomorrow I am getting my JLP CAI, and a oil seperator in.

·
Registered
159 Posts
What is your mileage on it now, plus does it llok like any mods were done before.

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Please define "HOT SMELL" ???
AND WHERE do you smell it ?

Oil ?
Tranny ?
Anti-Freeze ?
or just a heat smell ?

(hey that was pretty cool how it ended up in size order)  [smilie=laugh.gif]

The reason I ask is, for @ a year now, if I give it a good beating, and then shut it down and walk near the front of the truck, I have "a smell" ??? I'm like a frigging nut out there sticking my nose in the grill, under the hood, under the Truck, EVERYWHERE.

Mine Def Comes right out of the grill, but NOT the underneath or engine compartment ?

Keep us informed AND GOOD LUCK on the Mods :D

·
Registered
270 Posts
i had the same thing it might start pinging soon also. it does that b/c the intercooler gets jammed with oil and and it raises air intake temps. thats why my truck did it but thats the same thing mine did. why do u hold it at full throttle for 45 seconds? just curious

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, the truck has 28,000 miles. The smell is inside the entire cab and smells like hot metal. and it was run for 45 seconds twice due to me running a mustang gt, and by the way I won. If this is the intercooler, and my warranty is still there should ford take care of this, and if not is it very difficult to clean out and refill the intercooler?

·
Registered
270 Posts
have ford do it. they should take care of it. if your truck si stock and u have a warranty dont even bother posting and get stressed out trying to fix it yourself. thats what a warranty is for. good luck

·
Enlarged Member
1,985 Posts
Could also be catalytic convertors.......which is nomal.

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
SUX2BU said:
Could also be catalytic convertors.......which is nomal.
This is true  :smt023

BoostinSvt954 has a great idea too, why not use the wrrnty ?
HOWEVER some (LIKE ME) will NEVER allow a Ford Dealership to touch my L,
PLUS Good luck trying to get Ford to simulate something that happens after 45 sec's of WOT  [smilie=laugh.gif]

I went though that with my Former 96 Cobra "when 2nd gear was going".
It would only grind "IF" you stayed WOT in 1st "and did an all out Power Shift"  :D
So of course anytime they took it for a ride, they'd say the tranny is fine
It took a few trips to the Dealership and then getting the Orig Salesman involved (that sold me the Cobra) OK and a little temper tantrum and threatening too [smilie=laugh.gif]
(then they overnighted the parts, and I had my Cobra back in 1 day)

I always appreciated what they did for me,
and to show that,
I would power shift everytime I passed the place there after [smilie=3gears.gif] [smilie=omgrofl.gif]

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
:sad:THE WAY YOU DESCRIBED IT WITH SMELL PROBLEY A HEAD GASKET JUST MY .02

1 - 11 of 11 Posts