Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to get my hood fixed. It has some rust spots. Want to go matte black. Wondering if I should paint it or get the hood fixed then wrap it. Anyone do something similar? 20201007_175607.jpg 20201007_175602.jpg 20201007_175516.jpg 20201007_175504.jpg

Attachments

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,482 Posts
I see no problem with wrap. There used to be a young woman here that had a pink Lightning. The entire vehicle was wrapped. Looked really nice, for being pink and all.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Our factory hoods are all aluminum arent they? I would def get it fixed before either. Or you could get a new after market hood. Or you could find a black f150 hood at a pull a part then just buff it out.

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
11,203 Posts
Our factory hoods are all aluminum arent they? I would def get it fixed before either. Or you could get a new after market hood. Or you could find a black f150 hood at a pull a part then just buff it out.

Yes, the stock hood is aluminum.

·
Registered
702 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
From what Ive read if your going to put a wrap on it then what’s underneath needs to be in good shape. You would have to fix it to have it wrapped so why not just paint it while it’s at the shop getting fixed. That’s my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
11.42 @119.87 Stock Block
2,880 Posts
My 97 f150 also had a aluminum hood

·
10,482 Posts
Here's the pink L. Total wrap.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,403 Posts
I would not put money into the aftermarket steel hood. Find a stock one or buy a new aftermarket one you like. Unless the hood is repaired extremely well it will always be subject to more rust. Not easy to address the cavities and most will not take the time. Nor do you want to pay for the time to get it done correctly.

Jim

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think what i am going to do is get a Cervinis 3" cowl hood and just wrap that instead of painting it

·
Registered
702 Posts

·
10,482 Posts
I have a steel hood that Kenny Proctor did a superb job on. Doubt it will rust anywhere. But yeah, I paid for it. Painted top and bottom.

Attachments

Reactions: 2001SVT

·
Registered
96 Posts
Reactions: Boss Hoss

·
10,482 Posts
I have the same hood just without the black vents on the side
Those black vents are actually carbon fiber, left in it's natural state. Got them from CARiD, but made by APR Performance. the same company that makes the diffuser on the back of my Stang.

I just put a set of cheaper plastic ones on my Ranger's hood, to see if I could do it myself. Then buying two more of the above to put on my Mustangs hood. Even just idling, the amount of hot air escaping out them is worth the addition.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 52 Posts