Lightning Rodder banner

Home brewed cogs

2K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  tgarlock 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is something I have been working on. I wanted cogs but didn't want the $1000 pricetag. I built these from a vortech setup for 5.0 mustangs. The lipped idler are from bwracing. The tensioner is a mustang tensioner with a subaru timing belt idler .

And a video....

See less See more
#3 ·
I have $450 into it so far and will be adding a larger cog idler and 2nd lipped idler to bring my total to $640. Not cheap but it was fun to build.

#8 ·
All the guys that are interested, there is already a kit available on lrodder.

Very cool project tyler

#10 ·
Very creative Ty... You have to give us the details. LOL I've already got cogs but I'm curious about what the upper and lower are, how many teeth are on the upper and lower. Somebody else might have the ability to build something similar. And as noted in the other thread you don't need the Metco idler setup if you get a second lipped idler, and you can use the Ford idler bridge. There's no slippage with cogs ?

Mike

Attachments

#11 ·
I am running a 28 tooth upper, a 77 tooth lower. The pulley ratio is 2.75:1 which is about a 2lb setup. I am running the Metco idler only because it looks nice I know it's not needed.

To make it work I milled the mounting flange off the stock lower then mounted it in the lathe to turn down the outer diameter so it would fit into the lightning damper. Then I built a new mounting flange and pressed it in a welded it. The upper is a vortech 50mm wide pulley that was bored out to fit over a metco hub then the bolt holes were added on the mill. The tensioner is a Subaru timing belt idler on a mustang tensioner arm with the pulley mount milled off and replace with an exhaust stud.

I could make different uppers pretty easily but this is all I want to run with the stock tune.

#13 ·
i wouldn't mind running home brewed cogs like these as long as they get the job done and at way much less of cost

#19 ·
MAKE IT AMERICAN CHEESE PLEASE

#25 ·
Bretts parts are nice. Much more stout than the billetflow pulleys they replaced. Haven't seen the cog idler yet but I am sure it will impress too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.