Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Just a farm truck
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, its 110 here today and I had to putz around town all day. Charge temps were in the 170+ range for about an hour straight of slow driving and idling. My wideband was showing 17.0 and up at idle. Truck runs fine and idles fine, but I threw a lean code. I'm at the track cooling it down to see what it does but I've just about talked myself out of running. I cleared the code and it didn't come back, but I haven't cooled it down enough to check af again. Any thoughts?

·
Innovator of the Bombassani exhaust
2,428 Posts
over 150* on the IAT2s will pull time....maybe this caused a lean issue??? :smt102:smt102

170* :shocked003:shocked003 yikes.... might want to check the I/C pump

·
Mr. Crossfire
16,162 Posts
Im not sure about the lean condition but your computer was pulling timing which is fine and safe. The 110* outside in stop and go traffic will defentantly cause this for sure even of the pump was working.

·
Just a farm truck
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah pump is fine. Meziere pump, afco h/e, jlp res, killer chiller and it was still that bad. KB 2.6 with a 3.75 upper an 10 lb lower generates SERIOUS heat... Gonna let it cool for another hour and start it and see.

·
Mr. Crossfire
16,162 Posts
Your fine, what were engine temps?

·
E85 POWERED L
839 Posts
If your at the track ice it down and circulate some water through it while your waiting I believe at 145 IATS it will pull timing and run poorly

·
Innovator of the Bombassani exhaust
2,428 Posts
10 lower with 3.75 upper...... Should have read your sig!!!! HEAT for sure.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Isnt using the Afco HE contradicting the Killer Chiller?
Yes, Joe Kinkaid doesn't recommend a larger heat exchanger when using his Killer Chiller or a unshroulded air-filter.

:bigtu:bigtu-Bob

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
I put my Jabsco on a switch during my trucks rebuild, just to make it easy to circulate ice water between passes...Pretty sure Joe recommends a stock H/E when using the KC, and a certain kind of freon in the system.

·
Just a farm truck
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I am going to work with the H/E, he told me to block it off and I haven't done it. I'm going to do that soon and log the results. I have my pump on a switch that I circulate the water with in the pits as well. Very handy. An update on my lean issue. The AF was still hunting in the 15-17 range so I didn't run it. Drove it home and halfway the code popped up again, P1151. I think I melted the O2 sensor extender on the drivers side. I'll tear into it this week and see.

·
Administrator
18,597 Posts
You can simply block the HE off at the track with cardboard and duct tape. It will help the KC work better.

As for the A/F issue? Pulling that much timing can skew the burn rate. I would keep my eye on it, but not be too worried. Get the temps in check!

Jim

·
333 Posts
Heat soaked....170 would be about right. As the air charge temp rises the air becomes less dense so this would cause it to run more lean. Like others have stated this is a huge drawback to an uncovered filter. The engine compartment when sitting still...drive and go traffic you were in....will raise considerably especially if you have headers that aren't wrapped or coated. So what you saw was normal. If you plan or have to do much driving like that you should get a covered filtered and wrap or get those headers coated...JMO

·
Registered
17,565 Posts
less dense air would mean, well, less air....

·
333 Posts
No....same air volume less O2 to burn.... And there you go...just contradicted my own opinion.... Right stew...In other words by my own assumption it would run more rich... Less O2 same amount of fuel...???
Thanks for the checks and balance stew....

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
and i thought i was the only one... im running 19psi on my whipple and it seems like as soon as i drive it no more than 5 minutes it is heat soaked and runs very poorly :( (houston)

i see you have a killer chiller too.. i thought that would be the cure?

i hate texas heat, makes me not want to drive the truck at all until it gets cooler. i swear it feels like its losing 100+ horsepower

·
333 Posts
You probably are loosing 100HP. When we get these trucks dyno tuned they are tuned to run as good as they can at those conditions at the time they were tuned. I have two tunes...One I got in Feb and one I got in Aug. I only have to run the Aug tune for about 2-3 months. Don't give up....as soon as it cools off she will start to run right again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts