Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
So I just completed installation of the full Stifflers UCA and LCA set-up. The only thing that I'm left wondering is do these spacers stay in, or do you remove them with the Stifflers pieces? There was no mention of what to do with them in the instructions, the only thing that seemed to be related was the instruction to push the arm bolts completely inward, toward the center of the vehicle.
Do these stay, or do they go?
Thanks in advance...

Attachments

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,306 Posts
Those aren't spacers. They're alignment keys. They stay. Or replace them with new cams and washers.

Reactions: jblot

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those aren't spacers. They're alignment keys. They stay. Or replace them with new cams and washers.
Yeah, I've been looking back through posts for pics. What I'm mostly seeing is cam bolts instead of these alignment keys. Did Ford use both set-ups?
But with the Stifflers, I should be able to get any adjust that's needed via the adjustment in the arms, correct?
Thanks for chiming in, Dusten!

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,306 Posts
Yeah, I've been looking back through posts for pics. What I'm mostly seeing is cam bolts instead of these alignment keys. Did Ford use both set-ups?
But with the Stifflers, I should be able to get any adjust that's needed via the adjustment in the arms, correct?
Thanks for chiming in, Dusten!
Cam bolts are aftermarket to give a little more oomph. Ford only installed the keys.

I can't answer the question about needing them.
I have keys. Actually in the instructions for the uppers it tells you where to set the keys

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cam bolts are aftermarket to give a little more oomph. Ford only installed the keys.

I can't answer the question about needing them.
I have keys. Actually in the instructions for the uppers it tells you where to set the keys
Hmmm... I'm seeing no mention or pics of alignment keys. I DO see cam bolts in one of the pics, and the instruction is to 'rotate the cam-bolts completely inboard'. Not sure if Brian was taking into account that some of us would still have the original parts.
In any case, you've given me the answer I was looking for, so thanks! I'll re-install those alignment keys, and get to an alignment shop (tomorrow maybe, but limited choices on a Saturday).
Thanks again!

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,306 Posts
I mean cams not keys.

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
11,443 Posts
Must trucks have had the keys replaced with cam bolts. They sell the cam bolt kit at NAPA.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. It seem that I should re-install the keys and put the bolts back where they were (roughly center of the holes). That should get me back in the ball park. Then the task will be to find an alignment shop that is willing and able to work with a set-up that is so far from stock (!).
Wish me luck!
Best,
Ken

·
Registered
798 Posts
Any reputable alignment shop should have no problems with the stifflers. They (stifflers uca) are easier and more precise than useing factory or aftermarket keys or cams to set alignment. 👍👍👍

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, alignment keys are back in, arms are set to roughly where they were pre-upgrade. I like the height in the front; I'm right at 16", axle to wheel well. Now I'll probably add the hangers that I've had for a couple of years, to bring the rear down 1-1.5", to match the front.
Thanks for all the good info, folks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I’m getting ready to do this same thing,so does this mean either or with the keys/cam bolt kit? You have to have one of them installed? Preferenc?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m getting ready to do this same thing,so does this mean either or with the keys/cam bolt kit? You have to have one of them installed? Preferenc?
If you've got the original alignment keys, leave them in; if you've got cam bolts, they should be pushed inward, toward the engine. My alignment keys positioned the bolts roughly in the middle of the slot; I don't know much more about it, but it would make sense that Ford probably makes them in a variety of increments. And that's probably why people go to cam bolts, b/c they don't have easy access to the full array of adjustment shims (?).

Reactions: dannyrok

·
11.42 @119.87 Stock Block
2,928 Posts
The cam bolts are a must for perfect alignment. I would put the arms on with a set of cam bolts and take it to a alignment place that will give you the best results. cam bolts are cheap anway

Reactions: dannyrok

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I was mainly asking because I have a Moog kit that’s new and been sitting in my
parts stash for years and I figure if the bolts/washers are a better route to go,I might as well use them. I’ll just keep the keys in my stash box instead.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts