Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I've been dealing with this noise that's been driving me nuts for a while now and I figured it was time to ask the experts for some help.
Real quick, I want to give a shout out to Dusten for the SC gasket he sent out to me, and Kenny (Leeproctor83) for pointing me in his direction, thanks a lot to both of you. Ok so back to the issue, I developed this high pitch sound coming from the engine bay area roughly about 2-3 months ago, I injured my hand at work a few weeks so I haven't been able to spend as much time as I'd like working on it. So, the noise just randomly appeared one day while driving home, I didn't drive it any different that I usually do. I don't beat on it or romp on the gas pedal too much, kind of a lazy driver...(no pun intended). The noise isn't constantly there, I've been able to duplicate it once I get into boost, that's when the noise pops up and doesn't seem to go away until the truck sits for a while, the noise also seems to temporary go away if I give it some throttle. Possibly a vacuum leak?? I replaced the SC gasket today , and while I was there I looked at the gasket between the intercooler and turkey pan and that seemed fine. IAC was also replaced because I was sure that's where the noise was coming from, which I was wrong about. SC was put back together and torqued according to specs. I've sprayed around the SC area with brake cleaner to see if that changed anything and no luck there. Truck has 150k miles on it, the last mod was a Jokerz rebuilt/ported/rotor recoat back in February, I don't drive the truck too often maybe once or twice a month. OH, I also noticed oil all over the SC area, the pcv hose from the air intake to the IAC also seems to get a little build up of oil, which I've never had an issue with, but it seems to have appeared around the same time as the noise. I've noticed a little pool of oil on the passenger front side in a little valley near the first SC bolt on that side. I've cleaned up that oil and it returns shortly after. I'm assuming both issues are related. I attached a video to the noise and a picture of the oil puddle. Any help is appreciated, I'm stumped at this point, my next thought was maybe replacing all the gaskets are going from there. If any more info is needed I'll be sure to provide it. Thanks in advance.

Ford lightning oil leak..jpg

local painter
Part it out !! 馃槀馃槀馃槀

Just kidding

11 second street truck
I'm positive that a vacuum leak. Just a matter of finding it. Might need a shop that can do a smoke test.

Registered
I had the same noise before now that I think about it. plenum to blower gasket
Me too. Metal midplate gasket failed.

Smoke the intake

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Now that I think about it, I did have to trim the gasket when I got the blower ported and the sound seems to be the loudest in that general area. But would that also cause the oil seepage around the blower area?

11 second street truck
Where around the blower

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
So around where the blower meets the ic, I just went to go look at it again, and it also looks like it's coming from where the ic meets the turkey pan. It's kind of all over the place, I noticed it around the same time as the noise. Never had any issues prior to the noise

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Haven't had a chance to look at the plenum to blower gasket yet, will have some time this weekend. But I went ahead and ordered 2 of them anyway since they were $7 for OEM ones, also got some engine oil dye to help with the leak. I saw a couple of videos on how to make your own smoke machine at home, didn't look too difficult and now I'm interested in making my own to further diagnose the issue, and get it taken care of asap so I can go back to enjoying the truck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts