Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This doesn't look like it's going to be a big deal but before I dig in and tear things up... thought I would seek the genus of the community first.

I have a leak at the crimp of hose... not really sure what it is going to take to replace. Not sure if this in one piece or not, or if the crimp is something that needs replacing.

Leak, for obvious reasons, only happens once everything is warmed up.

Any help is appreciated y'all!

I've highlighted the hose in both pictures.

Attachments

·
The Asshole from Mass
297 Posts
Those are for the heater core, the one that is leaking connects to that big elbow that goes into the intake manifold.

Assuming you can find a replacement hose its not really a terrible job, behind the spot where it is leaking from the hose has a quick disconnect and then the other end is just a hose clamp.

Pulling the blower would make it 100 times easier. And then you can clean your IC while its off also! :bigtu

·
Stock block 11 second club
10,556 Posts
Is it leaking from the quick disconnect fitting or the pressed-on coupler? If its the quick disconnect fitting you can get a replacement coupler from Auto Zone for about $10 to get the nylon washer and two o-rings.

·
10,556 Posts
Forward to the 9:10 minute mark of this video to see what the o-rings and nylon washer of the quick disconnect fitting looks like. The Dorman part number for the replacement quick disconnect can be seen in the video, I believe its part # 800-403.

http://youtu.be/DyOtCAkWSRE

Also worth mentioning, you can remove the short hose extension pieces if you want. I removed them when I replaced my heater core recently. Its amazing how much cleaner the bay looks and how much easier the rear passenger side plugs are with those extensions removed. Removing them will also allow you to pilfer the necessary pieces from to possibly fix your leak.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have pulled the blower twice to clean the intercooler and change the fricken elbow breather in the back of the manifold. But like you said, assuming I can find a hose.

Best start there before I start pulling things apart.

Is it a once piece hose? I should replace both and maybe more... One owner with 198k on it and other than two radiators and standard maintenance, nothing has ever broken.

·
The Asshole from Mass
297 Posts
If it were my truck with all those miles i would pull the blower and the lower intake manifold.

Plug the turkey pan to get rid of that elbow that you have had to replace before. There is a HOW-TO on here.

Replace BOTH of the heater core hoses now that you will have access to the other one which connects to a tube behind the head/valve cover.

They are both one piece hoses, nothing complicated.

Or if it is just the quick disconnect that is leaking like Throttle Jockey said, just get a replacement and take the easy route.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it leaking from the quick disconnect fitting or the pressed-on coupler? If its the quick disconnect fitting you can get a replacement coupler from Auto Zone for about $10 to get the nylon washer and two o-rings.
Leaking from the press on coupling...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Forward to the 9:10 minute mark of this video to see what the o-rings and nylon washer of the quick disconnect fitting looks like. The Dorman part number for the replacement quick disconnect can be seen in the video, I believe its part # 800-403.

http://youtu.be/DyOtCAkWSRE

Also worth mentioning, you can remove the short hose extension pieces if you want. I removed them when I replaced my heater core recently. Its amazing how much cleaner the bay looks and how much easier the rear passenger side plugs are with those extensions removed. Removing them will also allow you to pilfer the necessary pieces from to possibly fix your leak.
Awesome video.... although I hope I don't EVER have to do that job.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any idea where to get these hoses from or is it a Ford only part?

·
The Asshole from Mass
297 Posts
Most likely ford only, and that means you may not like the price.. LOL

·
10,556 Posts
Most likely ford only, and that means you may not like the price.. LOL
You can use regular heater hose but there are two downsides to doing this:

- The unusual angles will get the lines to connect will cause kinks so you will need to consider using Uni-Coils to prevent kinks.​

-The tubes for the heater core and the tube for the rear of the intake are different diameters so it can be a PITA to prevent a leak. 3/4" hose fits the heater core tubes with no leak but its a loose fit for the tube on the intake, even when secured with a hose clamp. I bypassed my heater core until I could replace it when it failed this summer and it took several attempts to keep it from leaking, ultimately I had to use two hose clamps.​

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cost wasn't too bad... of course it helps to be a member of the local SVT club.

23.64 for one and
46.68 for the other
70.32 all total plus tax.

·
The Asshole from Mass
297 Posts
Cost wasn't too bad... of course it helps to be a member of the local SVT club.

23.64 for one and
46.68 for the other
70.32 all total plus tax.
Not bad!

Small price to pay to get rid of an annoying coolant leak

1 - 13 of 13 Posts