Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got this 2k4 with Kenne Bell 2 years ago and no issues. Now I’m hearing unpleasant sounds from the engine compartment. I live on the outskirts of Los Angeles 93536, but don’t know where to turn for help. I’d very much appreciate helpful suggestions.

Noisy Blower?

· Slevin
1,107 Posts
what noises? your video doesn't work, try uploading it to any major video hosting site

· Slevin
1,107 Posts
Have you verified it is coming from the KB?
Take the blower belt off.
Either a bearing or snout gear(s) need replacing, or maybe it just needs supercharger oil. Check the dipstick for the level. Im drawing a blank on what oil the KB needs

· 10 second street truck
13,158 Posts
Have you verified it is coming from the KB?
Take the blower belt off.
Either a bearing or snout gear(s) need replacing, or maybe it just needs supercharger oil. Check the dipstick for the level. Im drawing a blank on what oil the KB needs
Kb has a specific oil. And I can't remember what can be used.

But the 2.3 is known for trashing it's coupler. It's an easy swap.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I very much appreciate all the replies especially since I’m new and such an idiot for letting it get too low. The KB takes a 50W synthetic. I found the actual branded blue oil with “Special Additives”, filled it to the line but still it’s not right. Frankly I no longer enjoy crawling in and around vehicles except to drive them and because of another disassembled vehicle in the garage and unhappy wife parking on the driveway I’m likely hiring a pro so I can enjoy both sooner. GRC did the mods on this when my brother owned it, so that’s where I’m likely sending it. Mike at KB indicated the blower can likely be rebuilt cost effectively. If not, I always have the original one. Just kidding that KB sounds too good. I know many of you could wrench this out in a few hours with parts. I’m just not willing to chance that I can. A big thank you to all who are helping here though.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I couldn't take it anymore so I was able to loosen the supercharger belt off. Supercharger seems to rotate OK a little noise but there is what I consider to be a lot of backlash. I would think this would be a tighter fit. I'm embarrassed to ask, but in which direction does it rotate? There was a moment of resistance when I changed from clockwise to counter clockwise (looking at it). Not sure if I can safely start the engine without entirely removing the belt and it looks like the tensioner comes off first. How much are those belts anyway?

· 10 second street truck
13,158 Posts
I couldn't take it anymore so I was able to loosen the supercharger belt off. Supercharger seems to rotate OK a little noise but there is what I consider to be a lot of backlash. I would think this would be a tighter fit. I'm embarrassed to ask, but in which direction does it rotate? There was a moment of resistance when I changed from clockwise to counter clockwise (looking at it). Not sure if I can safely start the engine without entirely removing the belt and it looks like the tensioner comes off first. How much are those belts anyway?

The blower spins clockwise.
The belt will come off without removing the tensioner. It just slides between the pulley and bridge.

A new belt is 60-80 last I bought one.

Again, the kenne bell is known for bad couples. I'd bet that's your issue without being there to put hands on the blower.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The blower spins clockwise.
The belt will come off without removing the tensioner. It just slides between the pulley and bridge.

A new belt is 60-80 last I bought one.

Again, the kenne bell is known for bad couples. I'd bet that's your issue without being there to put hands on the blower.

Thanks Dustin. I had tried yesterday but after reading your reply "we" got the belt off and engine started right up. Sounds fine, but wineless. So we got a hurt blower.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts