Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I keep getting a random loud humming noise/howling noise! I thought it was the cats possibly but those got changed and still getting the noise. I can feel the vibration at my feet and feels like it’s coming from the drivers side. I’ve noticed it’s always on de acceleration around idk b/n 20-45 mph when it starts. I can get it to stop by just tapping on the gas and it goes away immediately. If I don’t press the gas and put it in park, the noise continues and I cannot pinpoint from where it’s coming from, and there is no change in engine idle or anything of the sorts. Sometimes it’ll happen twice a week sometimes not even once a month so it’s very random. Any help or insight is greatly appreciated, it’s driving me nuts!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thats what mine sounded like when it went up. It would randomly fail to close all the way and cause a horrible harmonic hum / howl that I could feel in the floor boards. It was hell trying to find because the intake amplified it and masked it's source.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats what mine sounded like when it went up. It would randomly fail to close all the way and cause a horrible harmonic hum / howl that I could feel in the floor boards. It was hell trying to find because the intake amplified it and masked it's source.

Thanks man! I can def feel the vibration in the floor board, I hope that’s the issue! I’ll get me one ASAP and change it lol

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
You don't even have to buy one to see if its a bad iac. While the humming sound is happening. Unplug the iac, if the noise goes away instantly its a bad iac. I had a 2000 v6 ranger that howled for several years before I figured it out. (wasn't mechanically inclined at the time) Then one day I researched the issue and someone mentioned bad iac's and you can test it out by just simply unplugging it while its making the noise. Sure enough it fixed my issue.

Reactions: 01SvtLightning12

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You don't even have to buy one to see if its a bad iac. While the humming sound is happening. Unplug the iac, if the noise goes away instantly its a bad iac. I had a 2000 v6 ranger that howled for several years before I figured it out. (wasn't mechanically inclined at the time) Then one day I researched the issue and someone mentioned bad iac's and you can test it out by just simply unplugging it while its making the noise. Sure enough it fixed my issue.
I haven’t even thought of that. But it’ll be a bit tough to test it because it’ll happen when I’m slowing down in traffic just randomly. As soon as I even tap the gas, the humming goes away. But I’ll try to pull over and try it out! Thanks for the input

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,402 Posts
When mine went bad back in 2010, it made more of a moo cow sound. And the idle bounced around a lot. Wouldn't maintain a steady idle, and it wasn't intermittent, it was full time. I guess there is more than one way they can fail. My Ranger used to eat IACs for lunch. I'd go through one of Vato Zones el cheapo made in Mexico units every year. They have a one year warranty, so had to buy one. I finally spotted in their catalog that they have a made in Japan Hitachi IAC. Put one on the Lightning (two years ago) and Ranger (five years ago) and they've both been fine since.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When mine went bad back in 2010, it made more of a moo cow sound. And the idle bounced around a lot. Wouldn't maintain a steady idle, and it wasn't intermittent, it was full time. I guess there is more than one way they can fail. My Ranger used to eat IACs for lunch. I'd go through one of Vato Zones el cheapo made in Mexico units every year. They have a one year warranty, so had to buy one. I finally spotted in their catalog that they have a made in Japan Hitachi IAC. Put one on the Lightning (two years ago) and Ranger (five years ago) and they've both been fine since.
Yea mines a loud humming or howling sound...just find it wierd that it rpms don’t fluctuate and with a small tap in the gas, the noise immediately goes away and don’t come back up I’ll who knows when. May be a month or a few days down the line. But I’ll try to check it out to see if it’s the iac once it does it. I’ll pull over and unplug and see if noise goes away

·
Registered
284 Posts
Mine didn't go away when I unplugged it. The valve was already stuck in such a way that it created the "Harmonic Disturbance"

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
The one that I had that went bad, would only hum when temps were below 60F or so. As soon as you hit the gas it would go away, sometimes for a while, sometimes for only a few seconds. It would hum at idle and anything below highway speeds.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,402 Posts
My V-6 Ranger has a old MAC cai intake. And when it's cold and I drive it, it has a loud squeal from the intake. But it goes away within minutes once things start to warm up. If I do warm it up, I'll never hear it at all. My Lightning I warm up every time I drive it. No exceptions. I don't drive it until the idle drops down from the high cold idle to the normal warm idle of 700 rpms. Then I drive it. So I don't know about any cold noises in it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts