Lightning Rodder banner

Help! Big project. Bought Crashed Lightning

16K views 131 replies 32 participants last post by  lmc289 
#1 ·
I bought a 2000 Lightning and I have a few questions.

The axle sheared off on the right side and the right box / bed side is junk.

I'm wondering if stock parts fit this truck and what are specialty items?

What axle fits this truck?

Can I use a stock box / bed side without the fender flares?

If you have any suggestions, I'm open!

I'm sure I'll have more questions later but at this point, I'm trying to take care of the major issues first - like getting it back on all 4s and off the trailer!

I have included a picture so you can see what I'm working with! Winter Project!!!

I'll post more pics later!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Sir,
This is T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E !! Our resident paint and body repair ace, who I have spoken to on numerous calls, can help you with that end...@Leeprocter. He is here regularly or PM. Hope this helps!
Gonna take a big paint brush.. :shitstormretarded

#4 ·
save the ground effects there... those are expensive and hard to find.

You can bed swap it pretty easily with a non-lightning truck. Grab a flareside off any old 2 door 97-03 truck. The painted bumpers are harder to find already in your color in my experience, but it's do-able. Don't get a chrome one. A rollpan would be another cheap option and add cool factor.

Is that a cloned truck to start? The back window, 3rd brake light, and mirrors look funny to me. I'm accustomed to staring at my 03's though.

It definitely looks fixable in either case.

Sorry I can't help you on the axle question.

Reactions: n6packer
#72 ·
I was wondering same thing with the "clone" comment. I thought ALL lightnings came with the sliding rear window??

#5 ·
Welcome to LR. Sorry your truck is jacked. What is your location?
These days I only paint. We have an excellent frame and body shop here in SEMO. My best advice is for you to find a reputable shop near you.
If your a do it yourself-er and have any technical questions you can always shoot me a PM

#6 ·
Differential is a 9.75" 3.55 gear in 99/00 trucks. The lightning differential is slightly different than a standard 9.75 I believe, something about the axle diameter.

Bed side can be found on any 97-03 heritage step style bed. Just make sure its the same length as there is also a longer version.

Keep any pieces of the body kit, like mentioned they are hard to come by and are very expensive when you do.

The trucks vin doesn't end in 1124 does it?

#7 ·
if that's a stock lightning/f150 OEM bed cover I'll buy it from you, I'm in SoCal. I have an extra flare side bed, but no longer have any side panels. if you're in SoCal I can help out. If you're just looking to get the truck back on the road temporarily you can swap a fleet side bed on there, non Lightning rear end and any other suspension parts needed, i.e. shocks, leaf springs etc.

#8 ·
Try to answer a few questions.
Thank you for the warm welcome!

It is not a clone. 04/00. Vin ending in 81978.
I am a used dealer/repair shop/body shop.
I have a frame shop guy I send stuff to. (which is going to happen)
I will be doing all of the cosmetic repairs myself. But thank you Capt. for the suggestion!

I'm new to the Lightning.
I'm from Michigan. So this is a winter project.
I will be making this my driver come spring.

Saw some body kit parts on ebay, and yes, $200 a piece for anything.

I'm on the lookout for a bed side and axle shaft. The bed itself is repairable.

Any suggestions on a roll pan?

I'm learning more that the truck is compatible with same year expedition and F150s?
Correct me if I'm wrong!

The shaft is brand new on eBay for $120 and also fits expedition and F150s.

So I'm wondering if my local salvage yard can pull one for me?
So long as the axle itself isn't hurt, I'll try to repair what I have.

I'm going to keep the cover, for sure since I'm in Michigan weather! (sorry)

Not sure how to add pictures like I did before.
I'll figure it out later. Hittin the hay.
Thank you everyone!

#10 ·
WOW.. looks like the ass end broke loose, came around and kissed a barrier / wall.
Nice to see you're trying to save one from the crusher. Good luck on the project.

Not sure how to add pictures like I did before.
I'll figure it out later. Hittin the hay.
Thank you everyone!
If the pictures are stored on the computer you're posting on:

1. Scroll down the post / reply to thread page and click on "Manage Attachments"
2. When the window opens, click on "Browse" to search for the picture(s).
3. Select the picture or pictures you want to post.
4. When done, click on "Upload". Note: This upload box is on the right side of the window so, you may have to "stretch" the window larger to see it.
(at least I do)
5. Once the upload is done, close the window and click on "Preview Post" to make sure you got what you wanted to post...

:smt023

#12 · (Edited)
Looks like you might need the heat exchanger that goes behind the bumper. I have a stock one complete with the brackets if you can't find one I would be willing to part with it.
I'm not suspension guy but the 99-2000 lightnings have 3:55s and the 01-04 has 3:73. Not sure about the Harley trucks. I found on car-part.com I searched 48180( my old area code) there's a rear end at Dix automotive recyclers in Lincoln Park.and several pages of others in MI. I don't know the ins and outs of swapping to a 3:73 or if you would want to. You might luck out and they have more parts you need. Just throwing that out there.

#15 ·
I don't know the ins and outs of swapping to a 3:73 or if you would want to.
What would be the advantage? or the + - of either.

If you were closer with those rear axles Certified Drunk, I'd take them off your hands!

I use car-part as well.
I'm trying to get stuff that will just make it "work" for now.
Big concern is getting it off the trailer, so I gotta get an axle.
I'll be pulling the current one to match it up with something here soon.
Holidays are making it a pain to work on.

Forget to mention that it has no keys either. I've messaged a state police friend to see if he can run the vin and get me some phone numbers to try to find the original set.
I've read on here, lost keys are a pain. I don't want to spend a fortune trying to get the thing to turn on let alone try to fix it.

After figuring that, it's putting some spare tires on it, getting it off the trailer, taking the box side, front and rear bumpers off, and taking it to the frame shop.

As I continue to drool looking at it - visions of sugar plums and lightnings, dance in my head.

#18 ·
I had similar damage to my truck a few years ago(let someone drive my truck), except no frame damage(I'll have it checked one day) and no rear end, bumper/tail gate damage. partial damage on drivers side front, but not bad. once you take off the side panel, you'll see if you do need another bed, or possibly repair the damage. my drivers side cab corner is worse and I have another cab corner to cut/weld into, but might not need to; drivers side door isn't compromised and opens/closes perfectly.

here's some pictures of the drivers bed damage and cab corner. also I painted the bumper, grills, grill surround in my backyard with rattle cans for a cheap fix. I'll get paint work done next year.

Attachments

#20 ·
just to clarify a couple things, the 99-04 L bed is called a flareside bed, and all flareside beds are the same 6.5' length. The L version of the flareside has holes pre-drilled in the bottom edge for the ground effects, but if you get a regular f-150 flareside version all you need to do is drill the holes for the ground effects, not a big deal. One thing to watch out for is some regular f-150 flareside trucks came with OEM Fender flares, which would have holes drilled around the wheel arch. Not the biggest deal to fix though if you're a body guy and need paint & body work anyway. 97-03 regular f-150's were offered with flareside beds.

Tailgate if you need one, flareside bed and supercrew beds use the same tailgate. Again, flairside 97-03 regular f150, 99-04 Lightning, or 01-03 supercrew.

Axles, many f150's came with the 9.75" rear end, but the L's did have a beefier axle. If you want to convert to regular f150 axles, it's just a different bearing/seal set. Harley trucks came with the thinner axles. It's not a notable downgrade necessarily either, my 00 HD has the regular f150 axles and has been multiple 1.34 sixties and 9.88 in the 1/4. They're still very strong (watch now I"ll break one lol).

Brakes if you need those, rear's are the same as regular f150's and Harley trucks, fronts are f250 brakes (hd trucks got regular f150 brakes up front).

Suspension, the L came with factory 1" lowering springs and leafs, so if you need new leafs, if you use regular f150 parts, it'll sit 1" higher. Not the biggest deal though you can toss on regular f150 leafs and 2" shackles and still end up a hair lower than stock. All depends on your goals if it's just a flip truck to get back to running and good condition, or if it's a full on build project.

#23 ·
Tailgate if you need one, flareside bed and supercrew beds use the same tailgate. Again, flairside 97-03 regular f150, 99-04 Lightning, or 01-03 supercrew.....
The first gen Explorer Sport Trac also uses the same tailgate. Probably a better chance of finding one of these in good shape since those trucks likely saw lighter use than most F150's.

#21 ·
Axle shaft trick

When you install an axle shaft, take a good straight edge and scribe a line all the way down the length of the axle.
Install it. When you next take it out, look down the scribed line. If it is still straight, you're good. If it has a small twist, it will show up and save you from breaking an axle later.

Before we could get racing axles made, it was a standard drag racing procedure.

#22 ·
Harley, your response was really helpful and something I was looking for. Thank you.

I still have to tear the rear end apart. I'm going to need a new bearing along with the axle. I'm going to try and stick with the stock L axles. I don't really want to buy both sides and bearings/seals.

I wish I could find 2 wheels to make a full set of the ones I've got.
Taking one wheel to a friend to get a key for the lugs and also see if he can find this wheel since he sells KMC wheels.
Big wheels compared to stock. 305 x 40 x 22

Fingers crossed the rear end is clean when I take it apart.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#27 ·
You da man Harley#356.

I found a place in Michigan that can ship me the leafs for $90-$100
I would drive, but they are almost 3 hours away.

Found out last night when we got the truck off the trailer (Thank God for the [smilie=bo tow truck), that the loader with giant forks from the auction, smashed in my gas tank. One more thing I've got to buy.

I'm going to attempt to inflate it with an airhose and check for leaks. I'll see how well that works at taking the dents out. It's literally half the size. haha

#28 ·
Someone posted they just replaced their tank for like 100 some bucks, it was actually pretty cheap. There's plastic baffles inside so if it's that banged up, likely they got messed up. And the fuel pump assy is in the tank too so if that was damaged you may be out some more coin. The pump assembly is L specific with dual pumps.

Too bad you aren't closer. I've got a set of stock leafs and a stock tank sitting in my shed leftover from a truck I parted out lol

#29 ·
That's frustrating. My dad is driving out tonight to PA to pick up a 1927 Lincoln. That's why I had to get my truck off the trailer.

I'll find out soon if that stuff is ruined. I had the fuel pump in mind - if it is broken, is yours available Harley?

#30 ·
That's frustrating. My dad is driving out tonight to PA to pick up a 1927 Lincoln. That's why I had to get my truck off the trailer.

I'll find out soon if that stuff is ruined. I had the fuel pump in mind - if it is broken, is yours available Harley?

Perfect time to upgrade the pumps for any future plans, unless you're keeping it stock, in which a ton of guys might have the OEMs laying around...

#35 ·
03/04 were still L specific, but sat 1" higher than previous year Ls due to a higher payload capacity leaf pack

#37 ·
Gotcha. This thread : http://www.lightningrodder.com/foru.../321666-look-99-02-vs-03-04-leaf-springs.html

is what made me think of it.

One of TJ's quotes : "So the '03-'04 Lightning leafs measure the same thickness as my '02 HD leafs at .3275". IIRC the HDs came with standard F-150 leafs so it appears as though there might be some validity to the notion that the added ride height of the '03-'04 Lightning can be attributed to standard F-150 leafs."