Lightning Rodder banner
121 - 129 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
You're right, the lower grill looks terrible. I would get something close to stock. This link will hurt when you look at the price.

I would hook a scan tool up and see if you can find out if a cylinder is missing. It might be as simple as a plug, COP or an injector. I used Forescan to find my miss.

Forescan will also allow you to program your own keys. Very easy to do.

Lucky for me, it's the honeycomb one. Only $50 cheaper! 🤮
Looks like I'll be ugly for a while.

I've had Snap-On scanners hooked up to it and have been told, until it throws a check engine light, they can't see much. Crappy part is that it ran this way before all that work.
Only check engine light I have right now is for that stupid EGR sensor that I've already replaced once.

My curiosity is if it's running rough because it needs a tune.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've had Snap-On scanners hooked up to it and have been told, until it throws a check engine light, they can't see much.
Not true. No code for me. You need to run mode 6 (if I remember right) on your scanner to look for a misfire. And look for a cylinder different than the rest. I had a bad plug in Cylinder 5.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
That's awesome. I'll have to look into it.
Just a laptop hook up?
You need Forscan and an ELM327 scan interface. Forscan is free but you have to apply for a serial number. Takes 24 hours or something. Make sure and send a request in ASAP.

There are lots of different ELM327 interfaces, even ones that bluetooth to your phone. The one I picked is below. I probably paid too much. I made keys with this setup and found my misfire.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
How did you find it?
Took the breather hose off passenger valve cover, plugged it with my finger, and could instantly notice the change in the motors attitude. And then blew through the valve and I could tell it was toast.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
When I bought this truck, it appears 1 of the cats was deleted - leaving the other 3. How probable is it that the missing cat can influence how smooth the motor runs. At idle, I'm still having issues but no issues under acceleration. Next question, how much is a replacement and does anyone have one that they deleted?

121 - 129 of 129 Posts