Lightning Rodder banner
81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
That's a good bit of progress...you're working fast!
I'm trying - your comment makes me feel like I've done something when I feel like I haven't. I'll be happy to be driving it this summer.

Friend's wife made the comment "Oh, that'll be a nice summer project!"
I thought, oh Hell No. This better be finished before summer!

Even if it all isn't cosmetically complete, I'm still going to be driving it.[smilie=3g
It'll be pretty when I'm done, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy it.

I still have to pinch myself because I've wanted this truck since I was in high school.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
when I saw a Red 99 or 00 on the used car lot I fell in love with the Gen 2. think it was 01 and didn't even now they were out.

Reactions: n6packer

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
when I saw a Red 99 or 00 on the used car lot I fell in love with the Gen 2. think it was 01 and didn't even now they were out.
Somehow my brother got a motor from a lightning and was planning on putting it in his notch. That's when I learned of them. (He scrapped the idea, sold the motor, put twin turbos on existing crate motor that was in it - then last year it received a coyote - it's mean)

I had a red 1998 Ranger that has the same body style as the lightning I have now. (Step side, single cab) 5 speed 4cyl. Poor truck. Had 185k when I got it, and sold it with 235k. Loved that thing. Beat it on a regular basis and it didn't care.
Now I just imagine I have its bigger badder brother. :rockon_ford

·
Slevin
1,014 Posts
You're working fast!

looking good. Hope you have no trouble finding the rest of what you need

It would probably be too expensive to ship but I will be pulling my slider soon to swap a solid rear window

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
You're working fast!

looking good. Hope you have no trouble finding the rest of what you need

It would probably be too expensive to ship but I will be pulling my slider soon to swap a solid rear window
Thank you! - I think the bumper reinforcement and bumper cover are going to be the hardest fixes. I'm not buying a new bumper cover. The reinforcement I believe is specific to the L. So that's a pain. Maybe heat it up and try to hammer it out as close as possible. Not sure yet - not like I have a lot of options.

There are a few sliders at the local yard. I like having my window down and that slider cracked for circulation - definitely a truck thing for me. Not sure if I'll go through the hassle or not. Maybe down the road.

Harley's comment about it looking cleaner is a valid point IMO.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
should've kept the ranger and swapped in a 87-93 mustang 5.0 engine.
Definitely something I considered. I could see myself dumping a lot of cash on that project. Different subject for sure - would have been a death trap haha.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,992 Posts
Definitely something I considered. I could see myself dumping a lot of cash on that project. Different subject for sure - would have been a death trap haha.
No more of a death trap than the one-off Ranger Ford built with a Lightning motor. It was even a possible consideration for production, but I think it was just too high tempered for the average joe. Just look at the staggered wheel/tire set up this rig has.

http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/18-general-chat/53102-2002-ford-ranger-lightning-bolt.html

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·

·
Registered
211 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Slight update - and reminder - I had keys made at the Ford Dealer.

Frame guy wants to drive the truck now that it's finished to make sure it doesn't track.
Won't start.

Question is, is it possible the keys aren't fully programmed or do you think since the Dealer did it, they should work irregardless?
Is there any telltale signs of when the keys don't work? I've turned on the truck when I first got the keys made, but since the tank was smashed, I didn't make an attempt to start it.

If I don't get to drive this thing before winter, I'm going to blow a gasket.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You can always try to bypass the ignition switch and hotwire it to see if it will start. If that's the case you can get your answer pretty quickly.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Slight update - and reminder - I had keys made at the Ford Dealer.

Frame guy wants to drive the truck now that it's finished to make sure it doesn't track.
Won't start.

Question is, is it possible the keys aren't fully programmed or do you think since the Dealer did it, they should work irregardless?
Is there any telltale signs of when the keys don't work? I've turned on the truck when I first got the keys made, but since the tank was smashed, I didn't make an attempt to start it.

If I don't get to drive this thing before winter, I'm going to blow a gasket.

Does the red THEFT light flash quickly when trying to start? Is so, this if I recall is a sign of a key not programmed. Did you try BOTH keys?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Does the red THEFT light flash quickly when trying to start? Is so, this if I recall is a sign of a key not programmed. Did you try BOTH keys?
I have not tried both keys even though they look identical.
I kept one and left him the other.
I will direct him to observe the "Theft" light when he tries starting it.

Thank you for the suggestion.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Definitely let us know what the theft light is doing and try both keys. Of course they'll look identical but the programming is the question. If the theft light is blinking it is telling you PATS isn't recognizing the key (why they need to be programmed) and isn't going to let it start.

81 - 100 of 129 Posts