Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Blown
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the truck battery keeps dying, i alredy put a new battery and changed the alternator twice. I took it to the parts store to get it checked out and its reading low charge. I dnt know what to do any more, i think i have a short some were but dnt know were. Can i get some help any ideas? The only light that comes on in the dash is the battery i checked all the fooses and nothing. A good charged battery would last about a week before it died, but now it kills it like in 20 mins.:smt100

·
Blown
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any one? It started acting up after getting the motor put back in, if i cant fix it soon im just going to sell it, im tired of fixing one thing after another and putting money in it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Trace the wires from the alternator to the battery. I haven't had this problem with a ford before, but in a previous life: Ive had some wires/fusable links melt between the aternator and battery. Change the fusable links while you are there. Clean battery terminals???

Have you used a multimeter on the battery as the truck is running? See how many volts are going to the battery from the alternator (13-15). If not, then you have a charging problem. If so, then you have an open circut somewhere draining your battery.

·
NO RAGRETS!!!
12,119 Posts
Sounds like you have a draw on the system. A short would do nothing but pop a fuse or burn the harness up. I'd look up how to perform a draw test and start there.

·
Registered
516 Posts
start buy pulling the fuses one by one and narrow the draw down then check the things that are run by that fuse..that is the easyest way...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts