Lightning Rodder banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
bunch of spewed BS
holy hell dude, you have no idea WTF you're talking about. You cite date with no evidence or math to back it up, you post a video comparing bars of different than stock sizes, different arm lengths than a lightning and think that's your evidence. read a chassis book and get back to me.
Tim's numbers are correct.
Also if you use your brain and get your opinion out of it you can realize felt improvement is not only different among people, ride height and bar placement may effect the felt change. None the less math doesnt lie. A sway bar is a spring lever its strength at transfer of weight can be calculated exactly.

·
Polishing My SVTs
121 Posts
Why? Is the Hellwig so stiff, that when you go around corners, the inside rear tire lifts off the ground? My Ranger has front and rear Helwligs, and it does that in town on sharp hard right or left turns. So much so, the inside tire always spins on had turns. It's a pain sometimes. But man, does it go around Lake Stanley Draper Road great! I'll never remove them. Put new bushings and end links on it in 2015. Was out on that road one fine, a guy in a slammed two door Honda sport coupe with a large splitter and huge carbon fiber rear wing following me. He never got around me. Priceless!

I've thought about doing the Lightning, cause it in no way, handles as good as my old Ranger does. Too heavy!

The Hellwig bar for the rear of the Lightning, the arms go forward rather than rearward as the stock one does. Do you have to drill new holes for that?
Wow, My Ranger never did that with the front & rear Hellwig sway-bar setup... but then again mine had 2" coil-drop up front with a 4" hanger-drop in the rear... on 255/50R17 tires front & rear...

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
11,297 Posts
Wow, My Ranger never did that with the front & rear Hellwig sway-bar setup... but then again mine had 2" coil-drop up front with a 4" hanger-drop in the rear... on 255/50R17 tires front & rear...
I'm talking about a hard right or left turn at intersections. I don't know if the wheel comes off the ground, some guys on The Ranger Station say it can happen with too stiff a bar. But almost all the time, I get bad wheel spin on the inside tire in those situations. Otherwise, going around curvy roads is a blast. And I have 255/60-15 Cooper Cobra GTs on mine.

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
12,302 Posts
Robert, The sway bar has nothing the to do with a one wheel peel.. It's from over powering the spider gear in the differential.

·
GoD GiVeN
1,956 Posts
OP, you will be very pleased with the Hellwig sway bar set up, I have had Hellwig on the front and rear of my L since Tim recommended them way back in the day. I love the handling, he also told me do the bump steer shock on the front, I daily my truck and I absolutly love the handling on my baby! Install on the rear is a little tricky and time consuming, but well worth it! Keep us updated on how you like the feel... Take care!

-Adam

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Hellwig bars are the bomb on a L. I love them. A stock L is already a pretty good handling 1/2 ton, and the Hellwigs take it to the next level. Easily the best and most noticeable/rewarding mod I've done on my L. (I think I did mine in 2012) I liked them so much on my L that I did them F/R on my 02 Camaro SS and on the rear of my 18 F150 FX4 crewcab. All were improved with the Hellwigs, but the L was the most noticeable. It did really calm down the wallow on my 18 F150 though. (I added rear Bilstein 4600's at the same time as well) Props to Dodge for putting a rear bar on a Ram, and shame on Ford and GM for not using a rear bar from the factory. People act like the Rams rearend is more composed because of the rear coils instead of leafs, but IMO it has more to do with it coming with a rear anti-swaybar. Still it's a trip that a L being one of the few F150's to ever get a rear bar is even more improved from upgrading to a beefier bar than a F150 that doesn't use one from the factory is from adding one. The improvement on a L is huge with the Hellwig bars.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts