Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Ford Lightning
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did my research on Lightning Rodder on the correct Hellwig rear sway bar to buy. Everything I found on here said to buy model number 7821. No one has those in stock so I called Hellwig directly. They said that model number was been discontinued and had no alternative recommendations. I did more digging and Hellwig listed model 7621 fits 1998-2004 Ford F150 2WD/4WD (including Heritage). Does anyone have any experience with installing model 7621 on their Lightning? I would like to know if it really would work and what types of modifications that had to be made to make it work for you.

Thank you!

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
11,291 Posts
Tim Skelton's site says the 7821. So, no idea on the 7621. Problem is the Lightning has a 9.75 differential, whereas most standard F-150's have an 8.8. So, no clue. Maybe someone else has tried it and found it to work? If so, hopefully they post it up.

·
Stiffler's guinea pig
6,726 Posts
Correct part numbers are 7821 for rear and 7646 for front.

·
11,291 Posts
Hotchkis still makes parts for these trucks..
Correct, But, if you read the link from Tim's site, the hollow Hotchkiss is weaker than the solid Hellwig. Only benefit to the Hotchkiss is it's lighter. Not much stronger than the stock one. He has charts posted with strength figures all laid out. But, if Hellwig no longer makes one, than Oh Well. I'll keep my stock one.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Just spoke to Kevin at Hellwig...the difference between the 7621 kit, which they still offer, and the discontinued 7821 kit is one bolt. The 7621 kit uses a 7/16" x 4 1/2" bolt whereas the 7821 kit needs a 7/16" x 6" bolt. Pretty confident that's an easy fix...

·
11,291 Posts
Robert, Your truck needs a alignment, not a sway bar.
Is that why the 9.5 rims with the Goodyear 295's on them are wearing flat across the tread? Gee, thanks for the information. I thought tires wearing flat across the tread was appropriate.

When/if, I put the 7.0 rims with the 225's on them, I'll see what happens. I don't want to do a realignment just to make them work. I'll just go ahead and buy another set of 295's for the 9.5 rims instead.

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
12,296 Posts
The alignment doesn't change based on the tire size.

Sorry OP for derailing your thread.

·
10 second street truck
12,209 Posts
Is that why the 9.5 rims with the Goodyear 295's on them are wearing flat across the tread? Gee, thanks for the information. I thought tires wearing flat across the tread was appropriate.

When/if, I put the 7.0 rims with the 225's on them, I'll see what happens. I don't want to do a realignment just to make them work. I'll just go ahead and buy another set of 295's for the 9.5 rims instead.

You're applying more weight per square inch with skinnier tires and the effects are more pronounced. Come on Robert. Use some common sense.

Just for fun I did some rough math. When you run the skinny fronts you're putting almost 55 lbs/in^2 on those tires

When you run the OEM size you're Putting 36 lbs/in^2

That's 65% more weight per square inch. You don't think that has anything to do with increased wear when couples with an alignment issue?

Just for fun get the alignment check and show us the specs.

As for the hellwig/hotchkis
99% of people won't notice or need the difference between. But it's nice to hear the hellwig is an easy fix.

·
Registered
2001 Ford Lightning
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just spoke to Kevin at Hellwig...the difference between the 7621 kit, which they still offer, and the discontinued 7821 kit is one bolt. The 7621 kit uses a 7/16" x 4 1/2" bolt whereas the 7821 kit needs a 7/16" x 6" bolt. Pretty confident that's an easy fix...
Thank you for that information. I have a Hellwig front sway bar and I like that it is solid and not hollow. It made a noticeable difference when I installed it. Interstate cloverleaf off ramps are more fun now.:D🍀

·
regular joe
2002 True Blue
1,737 Posts
Update after install?

·
Registered
2001 Ford Lightning
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just ordered a Hellwig model 4621 from JEGS. It was $440 with free shipping, $15 off promo code, and FL 7.5% tax. Estimated arrival is sometime in March...lol. At least it's ordered. Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
380 Posts
hotchkis rear bar is solid and a much smaller diameter than the front.. the end links seem to be where the difference is depending on ride height..

my "regular '01 f150 has a 93/4 sterling axle ..never seen an 8.8 in a tenth gen truck ..

and I've called out that page linked to above.. regarding the percentage stiffer than stock for each of the bars..
yeahh .. 80 something percent .. for the hotchkis bar..that's TOTAL bullcrap

hotchkis THEMSELVES have a video showing the bar being tested at 19% stiffer than stock ..yes NINETEEN PERCENT ...not eighty some odd..

so... next wee have the solid vs hollow bar debate..
sigh,

the "stiffer" solid bar isn't really what you want.. see it's not a spring or torsion bar .. those store and return energy to the point of origin..like the spring compressing then pushing down to maintain ride height..
a sway or anti roll bar is an energy transfer device.. it transfers energy across the chassis to the opposite side wheel where that energy is then exerted

if , you use a solid bar it takes more energy to operate as it takes more energy to twist the bar thus transferring force across the chassis..

a hollow bar can be "as stiff" but it will take much less energy before it begins to twist do to it's lesser mass.. this means the hollow bar transfers more energy across the chassis , more quickly .. which is what you want..

that's why they make hollow bars .. it's not to save money..

and yep I have that hollow hotchkis bar in my truck .. it's notable.. 19% stiffer sounds..about right.. driveabality .. would be ####ing laughable at 80 percenrt

·
Registered
380 Posts
adding ,
there seems to be a difference in the frame to axle brake hose and the across axle brake lines when looking at regular f150 vs a lightning ..maybe..(?)

my truck the brake hose attaches to the axle tube on the driver's side via the axle vent ..
the stainless steel line kit I got seems to have the brake hose mounted to the top of the diff.. and the lines are made to fit that application..

the hotchkis rear bar comes with a little extension piece to raise the axle vent / brake hose mount on the axle tube to clear the sway bar..with the brake lines..

I have no idea how it would fit with the hose ending on top of the diff

I have the bars for a lowered truck , front and back .. - driver's tire rubs at lock turning right (nbd)..

looking at the little space between my diff and the box crossmember I know I ain't putting any brake hose , up there ..that just looks like more problems waiting to happen.

three fittings and a couple of flares & I just put it together as is

·
Registered
380 Posts
one last thought..lol
a four inch rear drop .. in/on a regular f150 that has two leaves plus the helper...

ea..
not a great idea..

I have the bent over bumpstops to prove that one..
at three inches you might get away with it ..

longer.
.cough

I just put in some +500#' springs from rock auto ..
(three leaves and a really fuggly helper)
still on the four inch drop it went up about an inch and it hasn't hit the bumpstops yet in the two months of daily driving it's done since ..(RELIEF) it used to hit on everything, for the past 6 years since I droped the back end..

..more than ya wanted to know .. I know .. it happens..

·
Stiffler's guinea pig
6,726 Posts
From Tim Skelton's website.

Attachments

Reactions: kirk

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
12,296 Posts
Forget those heavy ass sway bars, Get a chromoly ARB. It's lighter than stock bar and 1000x stiffer than a Hellwig bar.
The ARB is NOT intended for street use. lol

Automotive engine gasket Gas Wood Metal Auto part

·
Registered
380 Posts
From Tim Skelton's website.
yeah .. exactly the numbers I mentioned he stated..hotchkis, in all their sales info have a video of them actually testing and comparing the stock 00-04 f150 front bar and their own..
results are the hotchkis bar is 19% stiffer..it's right there in their own info package..so..I have no idea where this "tim skelton" guy gets his info ..but it's wack as hell....
and I looked for the video last night after posting but couldn't find it again..it is out there however

1 - 20 of 46 Posts