Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Divergent
13,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i was on the way home from work tonight (about 10pm, 80 degrees out).

I come up to a stop sign about 2 miles from home, stop, roll slow for about 50 yards and then open it up a little...probably 75% throttle.

Runs through first, second, shifts into third and about a third of the way through third there is a massive surge so i immediately let off not knowing what it is. Well i get slowed down and its not acting funny or making any strange noises so I continue home. As soon as i pull in the drive i hear belts squealing so i know theyre wet, kill the truck, pop the hood and smoke billows out for about 2 minutes straight and coolant is everywhere.
:violent069:violent069:violent069

·
Slowest Silver Lightning
2,547 Posts
I'm pretty sure this is a known issue iirc. Unfortunately I can't remember anyone posting up a pic of exactly which hose in the bay it is. If you can, take a oic of the bay or circle it for future reference. This happened to a few of us.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Common issue, just the cheap OEM clamps on the hose getting weak over time. Get a high quality clamp on it and keep on going. The issue that causes this is that the hose has a restrictor in it to keep from overpressurizing the heater core at high RPMs, this unforuntely causes a higher pressure behind the restrictor and blows the hose off when the clamps get weak.

·
Slowest Silver Lightning
2,547 Posts
Common issue, just the cheap OEM clamps on the hose getting weak over time. Get a high quality clamp on it and keep on going. The issue that causes this is that the hose has a restrictor in it to keep from overpressurizing the heater core at high RPMs, this unforuntely causes a higher pressure behind the restrictor and blows the hose off when the clamps get weak.
So it just the clamps. Thanks for the great info:bigtu love this site

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Mine wasn't a clamp but rather a heeter core hose burst doing a burnout, of couse in front of a WRX driver. Wound up soaking and ruining the two rear passenger side coils too.

·
Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
5,887 Posts
If the hose didn't break and popped off the connection under WOT.
Better have the tune looked at, you may have detonation issues and lifted a head. Its common.

·
Divergent
13,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well hopefully it is just the hose and not a head gasket.
not a head gasket, no water in the oil but that was my first thought as well

I'm pretty sure this is a known issue iirc. Unfortunately I can't remember anyone posting up a pic of exactly which hose in the bay it is. If you can, take a oic of the bay or circle it for future reference. This happened to a few of us.
it wasnt a hose slippin off issue, it had a hole about an inch in diameter blown through it. I'll post a pic, but to be honest i dont know a ton about all this, so it might not have even been a heater hose. but it was radiator fluid everywhere....

Ill get a pic up soon

Maybe I need to consider a plan to begin replacing all of my hoses.

Roach
This was my first thought after i got it patched up this morning

-------------------------------------------------------------
goin to the parts store for coolant and some other unrelated stuff. I'll post a pic after while of what im dealing with.

Is there a shop manual for these things so that people like me can learn about this stuff and know what theyre looking at and tearing into?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts