Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shopping around getting quotes on header/exhaust install and the variance in quotes has been surprising. One shop quoted $500 (initial) just for headers. A local (nationally renowned) performance shop quoted me over $2k for full exhaust install (I thought that was pretty steep). I'm probably capable of doing it over a weekend on jacks but looking to avoid that headache (especially for headers on a 12-year old vehicle). What is a reasonable expectation to pay for header install? Exhaust in question is full SS Dynatech.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Probably 6-8 hours at shop rate plus whatever time they have to spend if any studs break, if they have to work with rusted parts etc.
It's doable on Jack stands by yourself with basic hand tools, but specialty wrenches can make it much quicker when it comes to removing and tightening the nuts at the head.

·
Dude
2,363 Posts
If I really didnt feel like doing it I would pay 500.00 for headers, 1st time I did it took 7 hrs. Then take it to a muffler guy and for $400-500 more have a custom 3" exhaust set up done w/Xpipe and glaspaks. like I did. In fact I am shopping for headers again too! Good luck with the project!:smt023

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you plan to keep the truck awhile by some good headers to start with.you want get them for 500$ though.my kooks have been on since 1999 and still look new,never replaced gaskets and no leaks.expensive but I new the truck was a keeper.read up on header installs here and then make up your mind .

·
Pappa de los Pollitos
1,145 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I'd guess $600 to $800 for just the headers would be about the norm.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I had my old manifolds off and headers hanging in 1 hour. I soaked the nuts in glacier break penetrating spray for two days (drove it to expand and contract). Every nut came off with ease. Mine were obx long-tubes. Had everything on and driving in 3hours. I do have a lift though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts