Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Tyler Woosley.
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna be ordering a short block soon and I picked out the 278 comp cams to go with it but I haven't picked heads. Any reccomended heads?Trucks not gonna be a daily but it is gonna see its fair share of driving.

·
Falafel
1,160 Posts
Gonna be ordering a short block soon and I picked out the 278 comp cams to go with it but I haven't picked heads. Any reccomended heads?Trucks not gonna be a daily but it is gonna see its fair share of driving.

Ported TFS heads FTW.

·
......Leroy Brown
1,348 Posts
Definitely use the trick flows!! And dont use comp if you do go trick flows. Call bullet racing and have them pick and grind you a cam for the combo and trick flow heads. the intake valve events are about 7-8° off from a standard PI head due to the changed valve location. Even if you stay PI heads still get bullet cams!

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
Just have fox lake pick out the cam and head combo worked out well for him. Ported tfs heads are money tho but u get what you pay for

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
I'm thinking, pick your heads, and then select the cams that are going to compliment the power adder that you are going to be using.

·
Falafel
1,160 Posts
Just have fox lake pick out the cam and head combo worked out well for him. Ported tfs heads are money tho but u get what you pay for
This right here is your best solution. Fox Lake has been around a LONNGGGGGG time and they know their shit when it comes to heads and cams.

·
Former Rowing Team.
04 Lightning
11,884 Posts
I have MMR stage 3 ported heads with my 278's. In 09 when trick flows were too new so i didnt want to be the test mule. Now, id go trick flow but unsure about cam selection

·
Registered
705 Posts
This right here is your best solution. Fox Lake has been around a LONNGGGGGG time and they know their shit when it comes to heads and cams.
Agree 100% thats who did all my work. It may take a month or so for the porting and work to get done just a heads up. :sly: pun intended lol.

Maybe ask about the upgraded valves..... depending on budget as there have been some failures.... its one thing i didn't have done that i wish i would have.

·
Registered
966 Posts
If you go with 185 heads you will def need to change valve train out. 195 R's are sort of a ported version of the 185's with better valve train and accommodates much more lift and duration.

Plus being able to change cam towers out of the TF's makes them well worth the money.

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
Def ask about the upgrades cause I hear the tfs drop out and blow ur motor

·
Administrator
18,571 Posts
Buy the best heads you can afford. That is the real difference between the best and those not quite there.

Jim

·
Falafel
1,160 Posts
Jlp heads or trickflows? I decided on a jlp shortblock.

The Trickflows start where the PI head ends. Remember that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts