Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about a week ago I launched a plug again. This time couldn't put back,took all the threads with it.(not that there were that many to begin with). I understand that either time sert or calvan is the preferred method of repairing the hole but both of those kits are rather pricey. I have a local machine shop here that says he will fix it for $15.00 a hole. But I have to bring him the head. So now I'm wondering if I am going to do that then I may as well have him fix all the plug holes and just pull both heads. But now the cost greatly increases right? New gaskets, new head bolts, plus the cost of the inserts. I'm already about to pull the blower and intake and clean it all out and put in new coils and plugs. Should I just bite the bullet and do it or is it not worth the hassle and just get a over the fender hole fix kit?

Sorry for the long post and if you made it through to the end...Thanks. Any exta input or advice is more than welcomed.

·
Registered
524 Posts
To pull or not to pull, that is the question

I know it is a PITA but I would get it all done now. Otherwise you will be just wondering when the next plug will go, like maybe on a road trip.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One more issue is that the guy says he only uses KD inserts. I'm assuming they're going to fix the thread count issue but they're still aluminum and I'm not sure about the thickness. I understand that time sert and calvan both use thick walled steel inserts. Now this guy is a reputable machinist and has been doing this a long time. Just not sure

·
Stock block 11 second club
10,556 Posts
If you retorque the plug periodically you won't launch them. With these trucks, particularly the earlier models with four-thread heads, retorquing the plugs is preventative maintenance just like oil changes and air filters.

BTW... Lock-N-Stitch is the recommended method.

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,677 Posts
I would not pull the heads entirely off to do the repairs for inserts for a spit plug. Many guys over the years have done the in-place insert kits with no issues. In fact I think Hoffmann made a how-to on NHTOC and did all 8 of his in the truck himself. I'd find another shop that's willing to do it in the truck. You're talking a lot more money and aggravation to pull the heads off to have them do inserts. More than just head gaskets and head bolts. You're also undoing the front cover (pulling allthe accessories off, pulling the balancer, etc. ) pulling the timing chains off, pulling the headers off, pulling the lower intake off, etc. etc. all so he can do inserts on the bench. Pay a little more and find a shop that will do them in-place, or read the how-to's and attempt it yourself, should be even easier ifyou're pulling the top end stuff to clean the IC.

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
With josh on this one. Pulling the head off is a pain in the ass. If u were doing a head gasket or something I'd say pull it in the truck for sure

1 - 6 of 6 Posts