Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced master cylinder, bleed system many times. Some air was in the lines. Bleed many more times.
Sometimes the pedal goes down & stops vehicle fine. Other times it goes down & then the pedal sinks another 1/2", but both times the vehicle stops fine?????
The new master cylinder helped a little, but did not fix the problem. Has original front calipers, rear calipers were replace 5 years ago.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, but there is no brake pull & all the front rotors have the same temperatures when shot with a heat gun, back rotors match.
If i pump the brake pedal at a stop the pedal is hard. When bleeding with no vacuum the pedal is hard.

·
Registered
1999 lightning
80 Posts
Boosters go bad and give ya a spongy to no pedal, and check vacuum line too. The rubber hoses ford used is for crap!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The vacuum hose to the check valve from the intake at the rear past the throttle body is at the top. What is the other vacuum hose just below it??

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Installed a new check valve today & no change. I may bleed the system again. If no air sounds like booster time.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,148 Posts
I replaced those hoses years ago. Like back in 2010 or 11, right after I bought it. The originals looked like crap. I just used fuel hose, 3/8 I believe. And worm gear clamps on the ends. Haven't messed with them again since, except for the blower swap last July.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Most are going to think I am crazy but I had the same issue after replacing my pads and rotors on all 4 corners. What I had done is put the calipers on upside down (drivers side on passenger side etc), doing this put the bleed valves on the bottom of caliper instead of the top. Once I had realized what I had done, I felt like a dummy! What this does is allow air to be trapped in the top of the caliper because it cannot bleed out! Flipped them over and to the correct side, problem solved! On a positive note, my 8 year old daughter has massive calves from all the pushing of the brake pedal.... :D

·
Registered
1999 lightning
80 Posts
Still runnin original pads from 99🤣😂🤣 This gt350 on the other hand gettin pad change this weekend, the brake dust is more than soap can handle, was it drive around block and it looks the same😫 swapping out to ceramics.

·
AntiSocial
17 X3 35i, 18 Equinox LT 2.0T
806 Posts
This gt350 on the other hand gettin pad change this weekend, the brake dust is more than soap can handle, was it drive around block and it looks the same😫 swapping out to ceramics.
Those are the good Brembo pads. Don't swap them out or you'll lose braking power. I've had them on a bunch of vehicles. The solution is just use Brake Dust Pro on the wheels like once a week to clean them. Spray on, hose off. Been using it for close to 10 years. A non-stick coating on the wheels helps too, like the Ceramic sprays.

·
Registered
1999 lightning
80 Posts
Ugggghhh already bought pads, the brakes on this are some of the best ever developed ask my wife she frequently examines the dash😂 but the red brake dust is beyond manageable. I’ll give it a shot with the cleaner but it is beyond up keep. I’m not track racing, street pounder. I love beatin up on that srt crap.

·
Registered
77 Posts
U might have to get a scan tool or go to a garage and get an abs service bleed done. Ive had that cause spongy brake pedals on other ford vehicles.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I may have to go that route. The pedal is spongy again, but after the pads get hot, sometimes the pedal is fine. I'm sick of Funging with this deal.
I will try to bleed the entire system one more time to see what happens. I will also disconnect the negative battery cable to reboot the ABS. ????

·
Registered
1999 lightning
80 Posts
Scan tool opens the valves in the abs unit for bleeding, you’ll need a more high end scan tool, snap-on, or other brand, the cheap auto zone stuff will not help ya. I rarely have to go this route bleeding cars, but I have had a few we’re I had to open the abs valves for proper bleeding

·
Registered
762 Posts
Your discription of the problem is the classic blow by blow of a bad master cylinder. Even a new item can be faulty. Just saying

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Condition is getting worse. Have to pump the brake pedal to get even close to a non spongy condition. I will bleed them once more, then warranty the master cylinder?? Even disconnected the battery for an hour to reset the ABS??? Any other comments?? Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts