Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a while back I had a 01 cobra that I sold to help buy my terminator. But right before I sold the 01, I bought a megasquirt 3 pnp for the 01. After digging thru my parts I found the brand new ms3 pnp that I totally forgot I had bought. After some emails with the guys at diyautotune they say that all I would have to do is swap a couple wires on my ms3 and it would work with my 02 L. The biggest issue would be a way of controlling the stock trans, which sounds like a simple solution of getting their microsquirt trans controller. I'm very tempted to try but I was looking for some feedback about going thru with this before I started. The ability to run a flex fuel sensor, bar map sensor and that I have had so many problems with my sct's on both cobras and my truck are kinda why I'm looking for a better option on my new build. Currently finishing up my wire tuck and im trying to figure out if Im going to need to figure out more wiring now.

They also said they know a couple L guys that have done it so I'm curious if anyone here has? Any reason to not try the ms3 pnp in our trucks?
Screenshot_20210402-215821.png
Screenshot_20210402-215733.png
Screenshot_20210402-215821.png

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Tons of Gen 1 Lightning guys buy what’s called a PiMPxshift which is made by Stinger Performance. It’s is a MS3 plus a microsquirt all in a factory ford ECU case.

It controls the engine and transmission all in one unit. I’d bet that would work good on a Gen 2!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My setup is a 98 f150 with a 5.4 4v, 4r100 and a 67mm turbo.

I run an aftermarket ecu called Speeduino and have retained my stock pcm for transmission control. There are only a few inputs the stock pcm needs in order to control the trans. It's not plug and play and you have to cut and splice into the factory harness but it's free transmission control.

PIMPxshift is for OBD1 fords. As far as I can tell it won't work on a gen 2 lightning.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I run an aftermarket ecu called Speeduino and have retained my stock pcm for transmission control. There are only a few inputs the stock pcm needs in order to control the trans. It's not plug and play and you have to cut and splice into the factory harness but it's free transmission control.

PIMPxshift is for OBD1 fords. As far as I can tell it won't work on a gen 2 lightning.
I'm kinda scared of splicing into my factory harness, so the less cutting, the better for me, and the trans controller from megasquirt is only a few hundred bucks, so if I don't have to, I'd rather just get the trans controller... But that's good to know still thanks. Were you able to use the stock gauge cluster or did you have to go aftermarket for your ECU?

·
Registered
797 Posts
I was wondering the same thing other day. I like the pimpxshift for my gen 1. I would convert the gen 2 over if they had it available.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was able to use my stock cluster but I believe the 97/98 were unique in that regard. AFAIK the 99+ f150s got data for most of the gauges over can bus the same way the new edge mustangs did.

Diyautotune came out with a pnp ms3 for the new edge mustangs that retains the factory gauges by integrating with that can bus system. It may be worth asking them if something similar would be possible by modifying that ecu for use in a lightning. I'm guessing the answer would be no but that's probably your only potential option to retain the factory cluster.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I saw holley makes a mod motor plug and play set up. Doesn't control trans but a quick 4 would do the job. Wonder how good it would do on a lightning.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: G19

·
Registered
266 Posts

What inputs you need for the factory ecu to run the transmission?

·
Registered
5 Posts
My setup is the factory pcm in the factory location with most of the engine control wiring cut or spliced to allow connection to an aftermarket ecu. This is typically referred to as a parallel ecu install. The aftermarket ecu fully controls fuel and spark. The factory pcm controls the transmission. In a 99+ F150 this configuration would also allow you to retain all of the stock gauges. There are a few engine sensors with shared signal as there was no reason not to share them with both units. Since this is my configuration there is no reason for me to go through deleting sensors from the factory ecu just to see when the trans control fails. I'm clarifying this because I haven't taken a random lightning pcm and connected just the bare minimum inputs to run the trans.

All that said I have done a bunch of research and I'm pretty confident I know what the necessary inputs would be.

As far as engine sensor inputs I believe it needs the throttle position sensor and crankshaft position sensor. It might need cylinder head temp but I don't think so.

Non engine inputs it needs are input and output shaft speed sensors on the trans, VSS, transmission range sensor, and trans fluid temp.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My setup is the factory pcm in the factory location with most of the engine control wiring cut or spliced to allow connection to an aftermarket ecu. This is typically referred to as a parallel ecu install. The aftermarket ecu fully controls fuel and spark. The factory pcm controls the transmission. In a 99+ F150 this configuration would also allow you to retain all of the stock gauges. There are a few engine sensors with shared signal as there was no reason not to share them with both units. Since this is my configuration there is no reason for me to go through deleting sensors from the factory ecu just to see when the trans control fails. I'm clarifying this because I haven't taken a random lightning pcm and connected just the bare minimum inputs to run the trans.

All that said I have done a bunch of research and I'm pretty confident I know what the necessary inputs would be.

As far as engine sensor inputs I believe it needs the throttle position sensor and crankshaft position sensor. It might need cylinder head temp but I don't think so.

Non engine inputs it needs are input and output shaft speed sensors on the trans, VSS, transmission range sensor, and trans fluid temp.
Good info to know thanks. I'm pretty sure we will be trying to go ahead and make my ms3 work. Plan on ordering the trans controller from diyautotune tommorow. I'll be sure to document everything and post it up when we finish.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I assembled a megasquirt 3X for my turbo miata and have been running it for a few years. It's been fantastic and I think you'll be very happy with a MS3 controlling your engine.

However, I would strongly suggest a bit more research into the microsquirt trans controller before you pull the trigger. I had looked at it pretty extensively and never really found anyone using it on an E4OD/4R100. The firmware for it has been listed as "in development" for years. In theory you should be able to make it work, but you'll be on your own as there is basically zero documentation. You're also going to be cutting and splicing your harness. If you're willing to cut and splice your harness then run the stock ecu in parallel like I did.

The Quick 4 would be a much better choice IMO. A harness is available, and there's proper documentation for it.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Good info to know thanks. I'm pretty sure we will be trying to go ahead and make my ms3 work. Plan on ordering the trans controller from diyautotune tommorow. I'll be sure to document everything and post it up when we finish.
if you do let me know, I have been debating the same, but versus re-pinning the 20 or wires they said i would need, i debated making a jumper harness if the connectors were available.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was thinking about this a little more and remembered another non-engine input. Brake pedal switch. The torque converter gets unlocked by the pcm whenever the brake pedal is touched.

I just wanted to be thorough in case it's helpful for someone else.

·
Registered
03 dsg twin 67mm th400 haltech street truck
4 Posts
I have a haltech elit2500 in my truck ben running thay for about 2 years now the trans running off of the stock ecm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts