Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
AntiSocial
21 BMW M550i xDrive, 18 Chevy Equinox LT 2.0T
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The water at my house leaves horrible spots on the cars. Its running through a Culligan Whole House water filtration system, but apparently the salt doesn't soften the water enough. Was talking to one of the techs over at Aerolon, hoping that Tech Shine would help keep the spots away, and he suggested the Griots portable deionizer. Wondering if its worth dropping the coin and giving it a shot. I mean its only $300. After spending $1950 on the BMWs paint and $600 on the CQuartz UK ceramic, its only like 10% more.
Thoughts or other ideas? Waterless washing has been brought up, but its not a solution I like as it tends to leave minute scratches and swirls.

Thx.

·
Registered
2004 Sonic Blue Truck is # 3348 of 3781 built on 05/03/2004
3,061 Posts
I have not used the Griot's however I am using these currently with success https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024E6V3...olid=3NHI6IM5ZL2MV&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Also heard these work really well https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H8MQTM...olid=3NHI6IM5ZL2MV&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I am not a fan at all of waterless washing for any vehicle after it's been driven. For me if it's been sitting in a nice clean garage and has gotten "dusty" and you want to clean it up before taking it out it then waterless works better than a car duster which is what I use mine for as well as a clay lubricant.... If you have any road dirt/grime on your surface that is going to mar the paint using a waterless wash. I don't care which product you are using. I have used sprayers to spray a small section down and the big red sponge to wipe it "dry" and see micro marring after.

That being said I do want to try the Mike Phillips recommended process of having multiple low pile microfiber (mf) rags soaking in waterless wash mixture and using one at a time flipping and folding as you go along till you have used it folded and unfolded once each time across each section as possible and see how that works out.... Time consuming but it may reduce marks by using multiple mf rags opposed to attempting to rinse off one or two multiple times and having a grit guard catch what is possible to. Another possibility is ceramic coatings but I am still not sold on them compared to doing a sealant and carnuba wax.

I use and recommend these wash mitts https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RXKR6...olid=3NHI6IM5ZL2MV&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it as they allow you to visually see any debris that may be on the mitt where the other shaggy ones tend to tangle/"hide" debris/grit.

·
AntiSocial
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hummm...... I may try that. Never thought of using RV filters.

The second one looks very similar to what I have under my kitchen sink.

·
Member Senior
188 Posts
If you have a water softener as part of the water treatment system then you need to have it serviced because it is not functioning properly. Filters don't do anything to help with water spots because the stuff that leaves spots is dissolved in the water and filters can only remove what is floating around in the water.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
849 Posts
Ive got a double canister similar to this for mine. First canister/filter is for sediments and 2nd is full of the powder stuff for softening the water after it is filterd. Works great. Ive washed my L in direct sun light earlier in the morning 80ish degrees and got it towel dried with no spots using a double canister. U can tell the water quality is just dif when using a kit like this. Just flows and rinses better if that makes sense. Lol. But for 3 bills there are better systems out there for this than the one you mentioned.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Heres a pic of it after i got done that day. Like i said direct sunlight 80 simething degrees and still towel dried off with no water spots or residue.

·
AntiSocial
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
If you have a water softener as part of the water treatment system then you need to have it serviced because it is not functioning properly. Filters don't do anything to help with water spots because the stuff that leaves spots is dissolved in the water and filters can only remove what is floating around in the water.

Actually, they were here today. Just refilled the salt. Dissolved solids came up high, like always, but supposedly that’s not something the softener can fix.

·
Member Senior
188 Posts
How high? Average in my area is 260 ppm and the systems I worked with had no problem dropping that to single digits. I have heard stories about places that have water so hard that the best treatment system available can only manage to drop the numbers to a few hundred ppm.

·
AntiSocial
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
336ppm going into the softener. Just under 50 coming out. And thats supposed to be filtered at the municipal plant as well as here, so I'd hate to imagine how high it is before they filter it. Apparently Florida has the worst water in the country because it comes from up in Canada and has to run through aquifers down the coast where it collects minerals.

I ordered a TDS Meter, but the way the USPS is lagging, who knows when or if it'll ever get here.

·
Member Senior
188 Posts
Verify that the hose bib you are using is is in fact connected to the water treatment system. Most systems are not because people don't want to spend the money to treat outside water.
But all that aside, the unit you originally inquired about seems like a good unit. And should have plenty of capacity for a few car washes.

·
AntiSocial
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It must be connected, because when we turn the system off, the water stops.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts