Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I THINK this is the first HD to go manual, but I may be wrong. my 4r100 is going out on me after some upgrades and runs at the track. shifts from first to second are extremely rough, it revs up to red line if you don't let out and then slams into second. the truck itself has about 35000 miles on it and I just put in an A1 street valve body and a moroso pan. I plan on rebuilding it and selling it to get some of my money back off of the build.

I've been following relykz's how-to for a parts list. I think I've got a good line on a cobra T56, though it hasn't been finalized yet. Parts I've already purchased are:

viper master cylinder
clutch position switch
Tremec 26 spline input shaft and shim kit
RAM street dual disc clutch and flywheel
bronze shifter bushing
ARP flywheel bolts
JTS Venom shifter
t56 trans mount
leather shift boot from American Muscle

Not too many parts left to source, mainly the transmission itself and the parts off of a manual 150 for the steering column and pedal assembly. then a couple of sensors and solenoids and I'll be on my way. Not sure which route I want to take for my drive shaft yet, but it will probably be decided once the transmission is in and I can get accurate measurements.

only question I have so far is will the cobra transmission work with the viper sixth gear ratio if I have one put in?

·
Believing Believer
2,179 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, not the first but I'm happy for second!

·
Believing Believer
2,179 Posts

·
Former Rowing Team.
04 Lightning
11,884 Posts
Just get a t56 magnum made to work. Viper gears are too low in over drive.

Fallow the parts list of the HD owner who did it

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I do have my eyes on a magnum. It's more expensive but for the peace of mind I think I'm going to.

Got a set of pedals and a column cover yesterday from a local truck. Want to find another column cover since this one has a small gouge, but he threw it in for free so it'll do for now. In other news, I had a rather large ups delivery yesterday. It was like Christmas opening everything, I wanted to roll in it! Plus, I was able to find a scatter shield on eBay. A QuickTime for $390 shipped

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
a few pics of what came in

·
Former Rowing Team.
04 Lightning
11,884 Posts
Dont use the viper master. It's a PITA to make a custom bracket to hold it. Even then, the firewall will flex if the pedal is hard enough.

Look at the harley guys swap. Use the f150 with appropriate slave.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
You're just making things difficult on yourself trying to use the Viper master. And the F150 master will give better pedal feel.

Will the JTS shifter fit a Cobra trans?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dont use the viper master. It's a PITA to make a custom bracket to hold it. Even then, the firewall will flex if the pedal is hard enough.

Look at the harley guys swap. Use the f150 with appropriate slave.
I've sent back the viper slave in favor of the one he used, thanks for the heads up! :bigtu I also sent back the input shaft and shims since I won't be needing those with buying a properly built magnum

You're just making things difficult on yourself trying to use the Viper master. And the F150 master will give better pedal feel.

Will the JTS shifter fit a Cobra trans?
I've sent Tick Performance an email about the magnum, including asking if the shifter will work, or can be made to work when he builds it. Hopefully I hear back from him soon

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
The Magnum has 3 different shifter input locations. The rear opening can take a shifter bolted on as it is out of the box or flipped 180 to get it further forward. There is also a second opening further forward with a 3rd shifter cup receiver.

The JLP will definitely not fit either of the two rear options. It MIGHT fit the forward most option, but I don't think you'll want your lever arm coming out that far forward.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I talked to tick today and they said I'll be able to use whatever shifter I want, and wasn't hesitant to say so even knowing my application, so we'll see when it gets here. I'll get it mocked up before I cut a hole and decide which position I prefer. Trans is on its way though! Should be here in about two to three weeks. TR6060 stage IV rated at 900 lb/ft, 2.95 first gear, .50 sixth gear, carbon blockers, bronze fork pads. If I break it I'll send it back and have them do the stage V cryo treatment but I don't think I'll have a problem with it. Only thing left is to get my master

edit.

and I just ordered the Hydramax system. a couple of sensors is all I have left

·
Believing Believer
2,179 Posts
^^^i remember you mentioning why in an old thread, but I'm sure he's gonna ask you why. Something like lugging in 6th at highway speeds due to weight? And trying to maintain speed without over gassing??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
a couple of sensors is all I have left

Which sensors are you needing? The speedo sensor that hooks up to our wiring harness should already be in the trans when you get it. The reverse sensor and reverse lock-out solenoid should already be on the trans also, but you'll have to source the plugs for them. I'm pretty sure there's a post in my swap thread that calls out part numbers.

Glad to hear that you're making good progress.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
^^^i remember you mentioning why in an old thread, but I'm sure he's gonna ask you why. Something like lugging in 6th at highway speeds due to weight? And trying to maintain speed without over gassing??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

I like my .5:1 6th. If I'm not towing or carrying anything in the bed, there are only a few spots in the mountains that I think about downshifting out of 6th on the interstate. I don't mind the occasional need to downshift since I get to enjoy 1700 rpm at 80mph most of the time.

I also have stock cams though.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I like my .5:1 6th. If I'm not towing or carrying anything in the bed, there are only a few spots in the mountains that I think about downshifting out of 6th on the interstate. I don't mind the occasional need to downshift since I get to enjoy 1700 rpm at 80mph most of the time.

I also have stock cams though.
1700 at 80 doesn't sound like it's too low. I remember my brother's z28 turned 1500 or less at highway speeds in 6th. worst case scenario I feel like it's too low, pull it out and get it switched. I would at least like to try it and see how it does. Almost everywhere I go takes some sort of highway driving so it'll get used.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts