Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, hope all is well. Figured id post a little about my truck and could give me a platform in which to ask questions about what Ive dealt with so far.

98 Nascar edition F150, was orignally a full L swap done by myself,
Built 5.4
Patriot heads
Comp xe278s w adj gears
Arp everywhere
80lb injectors
Sct BA5000 slot maf
Twin 450lph Walbros in tank
-10an feed -6an return
Modded stock 97 rails w adj regulator
2000 L midplate w/a plate for a 2000 f150 4.6 tb and elbow
Tr3650 w 26 spline treated input and mgw shifter, Mcleod Clutch
Sct livewire ts+
Trying to remember anything else

I made the hot side and everything else. Twin 44mm wastegates, 7875 0.96 AR billet Next Gen turbo from VS racing,
I think the bov is 50mm. 5" fender exit 馃榿

Im using the original stock Nascar truck computer, fuse box and what not this go around (which was dumb).

Seems I cant get away from the truck breaking up under boost. It done the same thing w the M112 I had before I went turbo as well the more that i think about it.

Ill get some pictures together to show yall. Im just sitting here getting ready to go to my grandpa's funeral stuff and figured posting could help occupy me.

2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
Couple questions.., bigger is not always better.
How did you degree the cams, Timing events or centerline?
BA5000 is too big, VMP3500 wound give you better resolution.
What's the base fuel pressure and it has a boost reference?
Did you upgraded the wiring to the fuel pumps?
Some tuners struggle with 80lb injectors, 60lb injectors would have better suited your truck.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Cams were degreed w these heads off of another engine I used to own. Only thing thats stopped me from looking at that as a possible cause is that there is only a 5psi variance between all cylinders (175psi-180psi) when compression tested.

My tuner likes and suggested I go w the ba5000 and 80s and I most definitely trust him, hes tuned everything Ive ever owned. But I understand the concern.

Pumps are each on their own fused 40amp relay, triggered the by factory fuel pump circuit.

Fpr has vac/boost reference coming from port just behind the throttle body. Base pressure set to 40ish psi. I say ish because I dont trust the fuel pressure gauge I have permanently mounted on rail.

Another thing Ill say that I notice is that the best Ive gotten so far is the truck will rip the tires off in 1st and 2nd gear then stumble in 3rd... playing w plug gap best i tried was .026"

Also if i never give more than 1/3rd throttle the truck will run up into the rpms perfectly.

Ive taken several logs but cant seem to get the damn wideband to show up on livelink with usable data. The whole equation thing I have yet to learn about I guess.

EDIT- Ill also add that with the current wastegate springs I have installed both gates open at somewhere between 4 & 7psi. 11.0ish afrs

You need to get the wideband talking to Livelink..
Which widened are you using?
The analog 2 equations go on input 7 in Livelink, not in the handheld.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glowshift wideband
Its wired correctly, Ive just never been able to figure out how to enter the equation so that i get a value thats usable. Its been a few days and Ive had an awful week, but i recall not being able to enter the letter v, if that makes any sense.

In Livelink, up on top click the tools tab and you will see Equations. enter the equation on analog 7.
You will probably need to make a new config file with the analog in 7.
The Equation I found for the glow shift was (V/0.5)+10

Hope this helps.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, I appreciate the help. Ill mess it here in a few and report back.

My twin 450 pumps and 80lb injectors would be right at home running e85, wouldnt it? That was the original plan tbh, just havnt found any locally.

Somehow, I let my oil feed line rest in a bad spot and burnt a hole in it. I have idea where to source one locally so Im down for the count.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Back to my fuel system while Im thinking about it tho...

what is it going to take for the ba5000, 80#ers, and twin 450 pumps to not be overkill? Bigger turbo?

I was thinking a stick shift, built shortblock, w nice heads and cams, and a billet 7875 snail would have some legitimate potential on the street.

My wheels are turning and I cant do anything w the truck until I find a new oil feed line. Cant believe I cant find anything locally and am having to order and wait.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Apologies for the gap in time. I buried my Grandpa this week and he was my buddy. It was harder on me than I thought it would be.

Anywho, I figured out some key issues and created at least one while doing so. 馃樀馃ぃ馃槀

Mind you, Im learning with this as I go... just reading everything I can think of to google thats remotely relevant. I was using the compressor housing for the boost reference to my wastegates and during rhe initial tuning fiasco Luis wanted 8# or so worth of spring in each wastegate. So I do, "the obvious" and stuff 8lb-ish worth of spring into each wastegate lol 馃し鈥嶁檪锔.

Fresh set of autolite 103's gapped around .024" and the truck ran fine. Expcept....say I push the throttle half way down in 3rd and froze my foot itd would start to spin the tires around 2k rpms but by 3k it just hits a wall and makes this LOUD chugging (I guess the gates opening) then huge high pitched bark like sounds like the tires locking up for a split second. Lol

So this entire time the gates have been opening literally the second it gets into boost. Ive fixed the issue by moving the reference to the manifold and put in a red a green spring paired together, hopefully that will get me somewhere. So here I sit waiting for it to be a decent time in the morning to fire up the truck without being too inconsiderate of those around me. 馃ぃ馃槀

Chasing this gremlin I pulled the tank and pumps and all the wiring and everything down and found a couple things that I could have done better. Like a dumbass I broke the top piece of one of my walbro 450s. Win some lose some. Ive a pile of pumps laying here and I put a gallon of gasoline into a big pickle jar and pumped the fuel another big pickle jar to see who was the real badass. Turns out a 2016 mustang gt factory pump will straight up smoke (or did both of mine) a walbro 450 at 18v. I thought that was neat. Trying it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can pull the front clip by myself I one piece in about 15 mins I would say. Probably not near that long really. I work on it a little bit everyday. Its rough but it will be refined, little by little. Please excuse the crack house next door, my cat drags snakes and all kinds of shit out of that place lol. I dont have a garage yet unfortunately so I rough it.

DrFraZZy
Thats a sweet build! I dig it. I agree with above. BA5000 is overkill and it could be the issue.

I would talk to some other well known tuners, just to get 2nd or 3rd opinion. Every tuner has their own experience and preference.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts