Lightning Rodder banner

Grill / headlight surround?

3K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  cbxer55 
#1 ·
I see LMR sells this part. Is it any good? My original one is cracked, and the body shop is unable to fix it. Even with reinforcement on the inside, the front keeps cracking.

Also LMR sells both the upper and lower grills. Are these any good? For some reason, the one they sell for the upper doesn't look like a Lightning grill. Looks more like a plain jane F-150 grill. I need one in any event. I messed up the billet grill when I drilled out the rivets that mounted it to the grill. Broke off a drill bit inside the pipe, can't get it out.

#4 ·
That's a 99-00 grill. It's honeycomb.

Why not get a grill surround from a wrecking yard? Then you know it fits.
I'll likely just go ahead and order the ones from LMR. That way, if they are bad, everyone here will know it. And vice-versa if they're good.

There's a carbon fiber grill surround available, from the guy that's doing the carbon fiber wiper cowl. $1299.00 though. Ouch!

Reactions: g0297882
#3 ·
I see LMR sells this part. Is it any good? My original one is cracked, and the body shop is unable to fix it. Even with reinforcement on the inside, the front keeps cracking.

Also LMR sells both the upper and lower grills. Are these any good? For some reason, the one they sell for the upper doesn't look like a Lightning grill. Looks more like a plain jane F-150 grill. I need one in any event. I messed up the billet grill when I drilled out the rivets that mounted it to the grill. Broke off a drill bit inside the pipe, can't get it out.

Like the other guy said, you posted 99-00 style grille. LMR sells the 01-04 grille, too.

Here s the link: https://lmr.com/item/LTP-8200AC/2001-2004-ford-f150-svt-lightning-grille-insert-lmr

#5 · (Edited)
99-03 f150 grile
when you forget to say lightning the regular ol' f150 grille is a little cheaper

buck n ah half

Automotive lighting Grille Hood Rectangle Gesture

#7 ·
#9 · (Edited)
yeah
first one , the honeycomb grill .. the lmc lower honeycomb grille link is in one of the posts above mine

the stx grille is a good enough (maybe) option for early harley truck
(beats lmc's early version harley grille price by $1000-ish)
(or really cool with my white truck / chrome bumper / 03 harley air dam and matching lower grille)

bought that air dam from the ford dealer in 2014..went back two weeks later to get the grille and the listing for the air dam had disappeared from the dealer's parts listings .. so maybe I got the last one(?)

they don't have to supply parts past ten years so deleting it would prevent peeps from trying to order a part that's not serviced.(.just a guess)

lower 03 harley grille is a bleepin pos..it has the weakest "hinged" section at the top that's easily eff'ed up if you bend it to much before installing it
you wanna fold it over ONCE as you install it ..
kinda like the plastic "hinge" on a blow molded socket set case eventually dies from age and use..but way way easier to kill
with just a couple of flex's it develops a white stress line along the thin hinge-ie part..

as far as fit goes..how can you do worse than the gaps around the 0-e ford part
the one piece I always hated on my truck is the gap at the front of the fenders

#12 ·
a few years ago i bought from ebay grill surround with honeycomb. the surround is not fully contoured around the side markers. its ok. been looking for but hard to find 01 and up locally, or they are sold and/or cracked, to much money if from an L

#13 ·
I know it's probably on here somewhere. Can the bumper cover be removed without taking the bumper off the truck. Since I am going to change back to stock grills, need to take it off to change it out. Also my bumper cover is looking a little tired, want to get it painted to match the newly painted grill/headlight surround. They're the only parts on my truck where the paint is kind of worn out. Odd, I never tailgate anyone.

#14 ·
I went ahead and bought that STX grill. It looks so similar to my current billet grill, I won't have to change the lower. Thanks for posting that. Going to a body shop half a mile from me to get painted as soon as I get it.

#16 ·
Bought that STX grill assembly from Ebay. Arrived broken in two places. Seller did a lousy job "packaging" the part. So, back to the drawing board. I like the STX center grill assembly, so at least I got that. It very closely resembles the billet grill in the lower opening. I only need get that finished in black, and no one will know the difference. The billet grill in the upper got messed up when I drilled out the rivets holding it in place. Drill bits broke off in the vertical tubes the rivets were in.

Guess I'm just going to have to order the part from LMR and hope for the best.

#17 ·
Bought that STX grill assembly from Ebay. Arrived broken in two places. Seller did a lousy job "packaging" the part. So, back to the drawing board. I like the STX center grill assembly, so at least I got that. It very closely resembles the billet grill in the lower opening. I only need get that finished in black, and no one will know the difference. The billet grill in the upper got messed up when I drilled out the rivets holding it in place. Drill bits broke off in the vertical tubes the rivets were in.

Guess I'm just going to have to order the part from LMR and hope for the best.

Do you not have wrecking yards?

#22 ·
Found one in a salvage yard on Saturday. He has two, but the "pins" that the grill mounts to are different on them. Had to come home and verify what the pin arrangement is on the two busted ones I have. They match one that is on a truck out in the yard. The one inside is evidently an aftermarket piece, the pin arrangement is totally different. And the grill appears to be permanently mounted, not removable. So going back tomorrow to get the one off the truck in the yard. It's fake chrome, hopefully the body and paint place can paint it Oxford White for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.