Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had brand new insulated garage doors put on a few months ago, to replace the tin-can non-insulated cheap doors that were originally there. The garage wasn't really staying any warmer though, and I did not skimp and go with just the cheapest insulated doors, I got the highest R value ones you can get. Whenever the wind blew, with them being 8'x8' doors, the wind would blow them off the outer seal just enough to let the cold wind blow by. Watching my security camera, you'd see the doors just all day moving just enough from the wind and seeing the quick shine of bright light as the doors just lifted off the exterior seals. And it's not like the seals weren't done right either, with the door in it's normal closed position, the seal butted tight up against the doors, and if you push the seal in any further, it didn't push the door, it'd just curl the seal up. The hinges/rails were also adjusted properly, they're a fixed setup, and were professionally installed.

I was about to start cutting spacers for every single hinge to try and eliminate the slack in the rails so it couldn't blow in with high winds, but that could potentially bind up the rails and wear the wheels faster. While searching garagejornal forums for some innovative ideas, I stumbled across Green Hinge. (Green Hinge System - Spring Loaded Garage Door Hinges To Seal Side Gaps While Saving Money and Energy). As an engineer I can really appreciate such a simple yet brilliant solution to a problem like this. They simply implemented a springed hinge system into their garage door hinges. Each spring by itself isn't overly stiff so it's not putting excessive pressure on any 1 wheel, but as a whole when the full door is outfitted, it provides enough spring pressure to keep the door from pushing in off the seals when the wind blows, yet still provides movement within the rails as the door opens & closes to avoid any binding.

Few pics below. Not only do they implement a very trick solution, the quality themselves of the powdercoated hinges is also really nice. You guys know how OCD I am with my garage, so even this is a nice touch lol.

Immediately I noticed the garage staying warmer, actually getting my moneys worth out of the insulated garage doors, the hinges will end up paying for themselves and also making for a comfortable wrenching environment in the winter, and installed in all of 10 minutes. I took a video showing how easily my old hinges would let the door blow in off the seals, vs. how the door stays in place with the green hinges, I can try to post it if folks want.

Anyway, just wanted to share the idea. I had never heard of these before, and even took some digging on Garage Journal to discover them. Apparently they sell them at Ace Hardware stores. They don't have those buy us. I'm surprised they aren't in Home Depot/Lowes. Definitely an awesome little product to keep the garage warmer, utility bills lower, and even help keep bugs out lol. :bigtu

Attachments

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately no coupon codes, but the price ordering direct thru GreenHinge was cheaper than thru Ace Hardwares, and they were pretty quick on shipping.

Make sure you get the ones specific to your garage door sizes. They have one style for single doors, and a heavier duty style for double doors since it's got more door to hold against the rails, and they have different kits for 4, 5, 6 panel, etc.

They seem a little pricey at first, but man it's worth every last penny when that door is no longer blowing in and keeping shop temps stable. Doesn't take much either, I'm not talking about a door rattling a few inches in and out. 1/8" of play is all the door needs within the rails to let air blow past the seals, which is well within the slack on the wheel to rails clearances. Just think about what difference 1 small drafty window can make in a house, now take that drafty window and make it 8'x8' or whatever lol, getting rid of that draft makes a big difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts