Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally got around to putting my 2.80 upper and Predator tune on the truck last week. I do like the outcome!!! I was running the conservative tune at 16* timing, but then after talking to some of the L guys on the internet I was told that I would be OK to put on the 18* timing tune with the mods that I have. I put the new tune in the truck this morning and I am very pleased with the results. James/RWTD is the man!!!!! I havent heard any pinging/detonation at any of the RPM's and the diagnostics on the Predator read 17*-18* timing/spark advance at WOT. I will surely keep listening to make sure everything is good and I will be getting the L dynoed in a couple of weeks!!!!

·
Registered
426 Posts
A pulley and matching tune on a gen2, has got to be one of the best bangs for the buck in modern car history. (other than nitrous)

Rich :D

·
Registered
186 Posts
lol, i've had a 4# pulley for my truck sitting in my closet for over a year now.....i just can't find the time to get it dynotuned with the nitrous....how big of a difference does the truck feal?

·
Registered
426 Posts
CHIZ,

You'll have to re-learn how to launch the truck after a pulley and tune. :smt025

Rich

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it woke the L up completely throughout the whole RPM band. I love the little wine it makes at idle now.

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
I can't wait till I put my 2.8 upper on after I get my A/F problem fixed

·
Registered
165 Posts
sounds encourging , have one on order  so  soon. 

Russell

a little bit of thunder  :smt027  a little bit of lightning

·
Registered
648 Posts
Traumatized said:
Well, I finally got around to putting my 2.80 upper and Predator tune on the truck last week. I do like the outcome!!! I was running the conservative tune at 16* timing, but then after talking to some of the L guys on the internet I was told that I would be OK to put on the 18* timing tune with the mods that I have. I put the new tune in the truck this morning and I am very pleased with the results. James/RWTD is the man!!!!! I havent heard any pinging/detonation at any of the RPM's and the diagnostics on the Predator read 17*-18* timing/spark advance at WOT. I will surely keep listening to make sure everything is good and I will be getting the L dynoed in a couple of weeks!!!!
If you are using a canned tune I would be very careful. When I had my 4 #der and the preditor it gave my 17 degrees. Ping was my middle name. I had a tuner reburn my preditor and I am at 14 degrees at WTO. Runs fast and safe.

·
Administrator
18,554 Posts
That is a nice starting combo. I ran a 2.76 upper, Airforce One intake, FTVB,
and the Predator Performance tune which gave 19-20 degrees timing advance.
That may be considered aggressive, but with good 93 octane fuel spiked
with a little Xylene no detonation was heard and plugs were fine when I
removed them.
Any more boost you would have to run cooler plugs and definately back the timing
down a notch.
Performance with this combo is crisp with minimal risk.
Jim

·
Registered
454 Posts
rumrunner said:
If you are using a canned tune I would be very careful. When I  had my 4 #der and the preditor it gave my 17 degrees. Ping was my middle name. I had a tuner reburn my preditor and I am at 14 degrees at WTO. Runs fast and safe.
I'd agree with rumrunner...
The only thing is his gas is much better than what we're getting out here - allowing him to run more timing.
So, I think you'd be pretty safe now.
Nonetheless, be careful... probability of venting a block goes up exponentially when adding boost or timing.

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
WOO HOO, Congrats Traumatized,
Nothing like a few tweaks to the factory computer and a little Boost to add fun hu :D
Enjoy it :cheers:

·
paranoid
4,608 Posts
congrats on the new mod...

i have a 2.8 upper and 5#lbs lower and the predator tuner tuned by jlp and love it....

the whine is ssssooooooooooooo ccccccccoooooooooollllllllllll.

and everyone that rides in the truck is like WHAT THE F*%% is that...... :LOL

the kid.......
jimmy

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
airtroop01 said:
rumrunner said:
If you are using a canned tune I would be very careful. When I  had my 4 #der and the preditor it gave my 17 degrees. Ping was my middle name. I had a tuner reburn my preditor and I am at 14 degrees at WTO. Runs fast and safe.
I'd agree with rumrunner...
The only thing is his gas is much better than what we're getting out here - allowing him to run more timing.
So, I think you'd be pretty safe now.
Nonetheless, be careful... probability of venting a block goes up exponentially when adding boost or timing.
It is not one the Predator tunes - it is a custom tune done by James @RWTD. That is why it took me so long to put the predator on - because I didnt want to run the truck with one of the canned tunes that the predator comes with. I also have Sunoco 93 octane out here. I have gotten on it with no detonation or pinging heard.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts