Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2,500 miles on my 04. Don't really baby it. Oil is changed 3 times.
At 500, 1,500 and now 2,500 miles.

I put my JLP intake on about the first week I had the truck and noticed that the engine made this scuawking chirp sound at idle, mostly when cold and not all the time. I couldn't tell where it was coming from but figured it would get worse or go away and was prolly new belts etc.

Then I read other posts about it from 04 owners and some said it was from the low restriction intake and it was SC noise from high vacum.

I put the stock intake back on for my first warranty service and noticed it is still there and just as loud.
Can't decide wether it is a vacum leak or belt noise?
One other thing though, if you turn it off when it is doing this you hear vacum noise equalizing after you turn the truck off. Like some storage canister is leaking.(just for a moment)

I didn't want to mention it to the dealer and have them mess something else up trying to fix it and they certaintly didn't do anything about it on there own.
Everything seems to work perfect and it runs great.
I had a 99 L for about a 1 1/2 years and never heard this......

Any thoughts or anyone else's L doing this?
Will this be an 04 thing?
It doesn't do it all the time but is irritating when it does.

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
You know G it's funny

I HAVE heard this Vac leaking down on mine also after shutting it off ???
And I do have Cavatation, but that doesn't
sound like what your describing, but man I got to say, IF YOU START LISTENING a L motor MAKES ALL KINDS
OF WEIRD NOISES. Now a days I can't hear schitt over the Whine :D

I say you bring that puppy down to English Town the weekend after next,
and we MAKE SURE it isn't hurting performance :smt080

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
It might be your supercharger (boost) actuator...

I had the same problem on mine. At idle I would hear a funky metallic whining sound. After I would turn the truck off within seconds I would hear what it appeared to be some sort of vaccum leak or more descriptively an air leak from a broken vaccum hose is what I can best describe it as... (almost a high pitch or squeely farting sound hehehe) I know gokorn1 had a similar issue and it turned out to be the supercharger actuator...

The sound on my truck was most audible on the driver side of the truck close to the intake (right where supercharger boost actuator is located)

I replaced mine and have not had that problem since!

-Chris

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sounds fun I I can't afford the time and gas it would take.

Yeah these things definitly have a personality and all are different.
When your a motorhead you hear all kins of things that amount to nothing.

May neighbor has a stang and stopped in front of my driveway to shoot the breeze. He is a mechanic and told me that he thought the wheel bearing was going bad. When I saw him later he said he went to take the wheel off and noticed a big gob of duck tape stuck in his tread that was causing the noise. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool vid. Thank you for posting it.
Sounds like several have had actuator probs. I will definitley keep an eye on it.

I didn't hear anything like my sqwauk. Your vacum leak sounds continuous where mine is more of a rythum chirpy sound.
It seems to be more on the driver side. in front.

I just went out and started it up. It is cold out so it fast idled and took a while to settle down to 600 RPM.
It doesn't seem to do it right now. (figures)

Thats part of the mystery. It comes and goes.

OH well, I will keep an ear out for it and see if I can figure out how the sound on my camera works. Maybe I can capture it.

So much to learn, so little time and energy!
So many cool toys to play with.

When I was younger I use to wish I was born 100 years ago and trap beaver and chase little indian girls.
Now, I find technoligy very exciting and still like to hunt for the beaver. Contrary to popular belief. The beav are frigging everywhere........ :twisted:

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
EZGZ said:
....wish I was born 100 years ago and trap
beaver and chase little indian girls.
:twisted:
Don't you mean, Trap Indian's, and Chase Beaver :smt033
This way you can EAT what you catch, AND
Catch what you eat
OR SOMETHING [smilie=xxrotflmao.gif]

WOW @ Vid, now that is a very noticable sound