Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my intercooler out of the truck and cleaned it out. No pics,(figure everyone has seen it) but mine was jet black from all of the oil. I will be doing the dime mod to solve that problem.

Next up was the spark plug change. WHAT A PAIN!!! This was the first time changing the plugs so there was a learning curve. Took a little over 2 hours and that was without the SC and IC on the damn truck. I can't imagine doing that with all that crap on there.

Got some questions:
1. Are the 4 intercooler bolts torque-to-yield?
2. Are the SC bolts torque-to-yield?
3. Are TR6s a good plug with ported SC and 4#?
4. Will my hands ever heal from all the cuts and scrapes of changing those freakin plugs?

Later,

Mook

·
Registered
367 Posts
Mook said:
Got some questions:
4. Will my hands ever heal from all the cuts and scrapes of changing those freakin plugs?
1. They say they are but I reuse mine I have done it 4 times now.
2.Same as above
3. I run the TR-6's gapped .034-.036 I run a 5 lb pulley an da little extra stuff.
4. Hell no because when you think you are done you want to do something else.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mook said:
I took my intercooler out of the truck and cleaned it out. No pics,(figure everyone has seen it) but mine was jet black from all of the oil. I will be doing the dime mod to solve that problem.

Next up was the spark plug change. WHAT A PAIN!!! This was the first time changing the plugs so there was a learning curve. Took a little over 2 hours and that was without the SC and IC on the damn truck. I can't imagine doing that with all that crap on there.

Got some questions:

Later,

Mook
while your there you might as well take the lower off and port it . :D

finished porting and polishing heads yesterday and off they went to the machine shop to be freshened up. and working on porting lower right now . oh and if you running a stock throttle body port it and the upper elbow . ask avalanche if it makes a diffrence i did his a couple of months ago. :smt023

ken

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Sounds like a very productive day Mook, CONGRATS :smt023

And your right, those plugs DO suck to change :sad: (twice so far for me)
But I got to admit, once you've done them, you do get a certain feeling of achievement don't you.
(next time I think I'll pay Sal of PSP to do them all the same, hehehehehe)

TR 6's are fine for that set up
EVERYONE re-uses the bolts and gaskets WITHOUT a prob (me included)
And as Avalanche said, aint it time for a Fuel Filter and oil change :D

Sounds like your cranking over there Ken :smt023
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice..................
and I agree @ the TB, My TB Mod remains one of my favorite Mods, how people can say it does nothing is beyond me :smt102

·
Registered
734 Posts
ken cryder said:
Mook said:

Got some questions:

Later,

Mook
while your there you might as well take the lower off and port it . :D

finished porting and polishing heads yesterday and off they went to the machine shop to be freshened up. and working on porting lower right now . oh and if you running a stock throttle body port it and the upper elbow . ask avalanche if it makes a diffrence i did his a couple of months ago. :smt023

ken
I just found out that they will not be able to repair my heads I will need to get another set ported. What would you charge to do mine?
Or could you give me a how to? I ported my own upper plenum last week. The intake is hollowed out pretty good.

Suavy

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just saw that one of my classes is going to be porting and polishing... I can't WAIT to learn how to do it myself, and screw up some parts doing it.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Duende said:
I just saw that one of my classes is going to be porting and polishing... I can't WAIT to learn how to do it myself, and screw up some parts doing it.
Does that mean we can call on you for all our porting needs? OK what about just me call me selfish!

Suavy :twisted:

·
Registered
20 Posts
sauvy if you can do your intake you can do the heads . they are just short runners that dump right at the valves . it's actually easeier than the upper intake . iv'e got some pics but they are posted on another site and i can't seem to get them to post here . eastwood company has a good quality griding bits and any thing you need for polishing . but remeber you don't want the intake runners to smooth . or the gas will puddle up on you in the runner . now the exhuast you want a mirror shine to them . no porting just polish . they have a product cal;ed grinders grease that really helps the bits cut the material much faster and smoother . if i can help any further just ask .
so far i have collected a little over a coke can full of aluminum fillings , and tha's just the heads and lower intake . :shock:

i'm having my heads worked on right now the valve guides were toasted , milling the heads , polishing the cam shafts , and doing a 3 angle valve job . they should flow good when i get the truck back together. my crank just came in so tomorrow i'm taking the block and inerds to the machine shop.

ken

·
Registered
159 Posts
Suavy said:
Duende said:
Does that mean we can call on you for all our porting needs? OK what about just me call me selfish!

Suavy :twisted:
I sincerely hope that one day I will actually be good enough that someone would *want* me to do a port job. So we'll both keep our fingers crossed.

Also, I'm drunk. Really, really drunk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts