1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Harley F-150
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 02 Harley
want to go with forged pistons/rods
my tuner recommended manley pistons and rods not sure what exact pistons i would need to retain stock compression. and my next question would be
found out my motor wasn’t doing too hot because the cylinder #2 has a exhaust valve stuck open. so i’m gonna pull it and refresh the whole thing,
do n/a heads interchange with the truck? because i have built n/a heads from when i was going to turbo my king ranch

·
10 second street truck
12,717 Posts
Pi heads are basically pi heads.
There are differences between Romeo and Windsor and 4 thread vs 8 thread.

I wouldn't recommend stock compression. A bump in compression is healthy.

Don't take offense, but with the questions your asking I would find a reputable local shop and have them build you a motor.

·
Registered
2002 Harley F-150
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
boosted applications are new to me especially a built motor but everyone has to start somewhere… reputable shops in san antonio are hard to find. i’ve rebuilt n/a 5.4s and it’s simple but never have i ever done the harley/lightning’s. i’m fairly confident i can build a motor but the only thing i need to find would be a machine shop for the block/heads

·
10 second street truck
12,717 Posts
boosted applications are new to me especially a built motor but everyone has to start somewhere… reputable shops in san antonio are hard to find. i’ve rebuilt n/a 5.4s and it’s simple but never have i ever done the harley/lightning’s. i’m fairly confident i can build a motor but the only thing i need to find would be a machine shop for the block/heads
You said you have heads.

·
Registered
2002 Harley Davidson F-150
148 Posts
I agree with that. You're already pulling the timing gear off to strip the motor down and build it. For the work involved, you might as well get some good cams in it now. Save you some money later.

·
10 second street truck
12,717 Posts
they’re for my n/a truck. talked to JJ and we have a set path for the harley. going w/ trickflow heads w/ stock cam for now
1 don't waste your time with stock cams.
2 don't run stock trick flow heads. Get bare castings and have quality parts put in them.

·
Registered
2002 Harley F-150
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 don't waste your time with stock cams.
2 don't run stock trick flow heads. Get bare castings and have quality parts put in them.
Sounds good. this is why i came in here to ask questions to avoid going back in twice. any recommendations on what to run on the trickflows? if not stock cams run comp cams. im pulling the motor to do all of this work but my main goal for now is to get the truck running right so i can have fun with it here and there. but i do agree it would be pointless to have to go behind and re do all that work.
after the leakdown test it appears that my block is good so its to be determined whether or not ill have to get it machined .030 over

·
Registered
2002 Harley F-150
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think you are nuts to do that much work and stick with stock cams...

Jim
a little bit, ill see what i can do but the problem usually is that you either have time and no money, or money and no time. my alternative would be to rebuild the extra N/A heads i have to spec for the harley but again not sure what cams/ valves etc i should go with

·
10 second street truck
12,717 Posts
Sounds good. this is why i came in here to ask questions to avoid going back in twice. any recommendations on what to run on the trickflows? if not stock cams run comp cams. im pulling the motor to do all of this work but my main goal for now is to get the truck running right so i can have fun with it here and there. but i do agree it would be pointless to have to go behind and re do all that work.
after the leakdown test it appears that my block is good so its to be determined whether or not ill have to get it machined .030 over
.030 is a no no on these blocks. Any amount of power will stress the walls and crack the block.

Cams, I would talk to JJ @ woodbine or Todd warren. Get some custom cams and matching springs.
On the trick flow heads, the big issue is guides. Have them replaced with bronze guides.

·
Registered
2002 Harley F-150
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
update: by stock trickflow i did not mean the bare castings with stock parts getting the 44cc ones with the 150lb dual springs/etc. will be running stock cams until i can move up in the world :)

·
Registered
2002 Harley F-150
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
.030 is a no no on these blocks. Any amount of power will stress the walls and crack the block.

Cams, I would talk to JJ @ woodbine or Todd warren. Get some custom cams and matching springs.
On the trick flow heads, the big issue is guides. Have them replaced with bronze guides.
will look into that. i also have a second spare n/a block. if the first one isn’t good for stock bore or .010 over i can’t miss twice! hopefully…

·
10 second street truck
12,717 Posts
update: by stock trickflow i did not mean the bare castings with stock parts getting the 44cc ones with the 150lb dual springs/etc. will be running stock cams until i can move up in the world :)
The guides in the trick flow heads are a bigger issue than the springs I wouldn't run those heads without having bronze guides installed

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
will look into that. i also have a second spare n/a block. if the first one isn’t good for stock bore or .010 over i can’t miss twice! hopefully…
Look into Gibtec pistons. CNC to any specs you want. I'm running them in my current TT build. I went +.002" oversize

TFS heads require the plunger lengths to be checked and shortened. Also, grind off the ratchet teeth. I'm not running any springs in either of my hyd tensioner. I had custom length spacers made.

·
10 second street truck
12,717 Posts
Look into Gibtec pistons. CNC to any specs you want. I'm running them in my current TT build. I went +.002" oversize

TFS heads require the plunger lengths to be checked and shortened. Also, grind off the ratchet teeth. I'm not running any springs in either of my hyd tensioner. I had custom length spacers made.
I bought the tf tensioners. They're shorter than stock.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts