Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Fat Bastad
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck is now requiring it's 3rd starter. It seems that if these things sit for a while without being used they have a tendancy to quit working. Truck has less than 60k miles on it and it now has it's second rebuilt motor in it. Each time the motor was replaced the starter sat through a long period of time 6-8 months pretty much through out the entire winter.

Lesson of this story: Bring your starter into a climate controlled environment if it's not going to be used for a while or else you may just find that it doesn't work once you're ready to use it months later.

After looking into what's available I came across a starter on Summit's website that indicated it Will not work with 164 tooth flywheel.

I searched but couldn't find any information as to....

"How many teeth does a stock Gen2 flywheel have?"

Thanks,

Roach

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
I just went and counted mine, it was 164 teeth

·
Building a fast catfish!!!
15,687 Posts
i dont know if your using autozone starters... but im on my 4th replacement one from them on my 4.6... only takes me 30 mins now to change a starter... LOL

·
Fat Bastad
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dont know if your using autozone starters... but im on my 4th replacement one from them on my 4.6... only takes me 30 mins now to change a starter... LOL
Original starter was the one that came with the truck when I purchased it brand new as I'm the original owner. The second one was a Ford remanufactured starter that came from the Ford stealership...nearly $600.00 installed...:shocked003 If I would have had my way I would have went with one from NAPA for the third one but my mechanic already threw another Ford starter on it.

Roach

1 - 5 of 5 Posts