Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going to be making a box for my intake to try and shield the under hood heat. I'm getting frustrated with my downstream air temps and it's still winter! I'm seeing over 50+ degrees above Ambient.

Besides building a box, I'm thinking of this hood... I know it's not the prettiest hood out there but it looks promising to me. For the price I might give it a shot. What's yours guys thoughts?
Screenshot_20210222-215513_Chrome.jpg

·
Administrator
18,491 Posts
Hood may help a bit. I don't care for the look of it myself. You can cut out the center section of the rear rubber gasket and it helps get some cooler air under hood. Old school trick is to lose the radiator cover. There were guys who tested this to be worth a touch. I think the best thing is to design shielding to keep exhaust heat in the pipes. Wrapping and coatings help some, but I think that can be improved for decent gains.

Jim

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hood may help a bit. I don't care for the look of it myself. You can cut out the center section of the rear rubber gasket and it helps get some cooler air under hood. Old school trick is to lose the radiator cover. There were guys who tested this to be worth a touch. I think the best thing is to design shielding to keep exhaust heat in the pipes. Wrapping and coatings help some, but I think that can be improved for decent gains.

Jim
Rear rubber gasket the one above firewall and plastic cover over the wiper arms?

As for the radiator cover I'll be removing tomorrow to see if it helps any and try the gasket trick if it's the same one I'm thinking of.

As for the hood, I think I might be ordering it and testing. Not bad for the price.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I run that hood on my truck, came with the truck, it's not the best looking but its different. It definitely helps with iat1 at anything over 15mph. normally Temps are very close to ambient. I assume it helps with downstream Temps but I run water meth injection that helps tremendously.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I run that hood on my truck, came with the truck, it's not the best looking but its different. It definitely helps with iat1 at anything over 15mph. normally Temps are very close to ambient. I assume it helps with downstream Temps but I run water meth injection that helps tremendously.
Nice. Can you post pictures?

·
10 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,609 Posts
So I'm going to be making a box for my intake to try and shield the under hood heat. I'm getting frustrated with my downstream air temps and it's still winter! I'm seeing over 50+ degrees above Ambient.

Besides building a box, I'm thinking of this hood... I know it's not the prettiest hood out there but it looks promising to me. For the price I might give it a shot. What's yours guys thoughts?
View attachment 543195
I still contest that's a factor of either pulley ratio or your bypass. Do you have a low vacuum bypass?

I see at worst 35* above ambient. What are you see for iat1?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I still contest that's a factor of either pulley ratio or your bypass. Do you have a low vacuum bypass?

I see at worst 35* above ambient. What are you see for iat1?
I know pulley ratio is a factor as well. Last night I did some pulls on the street. AFRs where good and boost seems to have dropped from previous 26PSI. It was at about 22.5PSI last night. Maybe it has to do with bigger discharge port? I had the 1.6PR before on the Gen 3. I run a 3.00 upper and 10LB lower.

Yes I have the low vacuum bypass valve from whipple. I seem to get good vacuum. I need to build some sort of box to shield the heat from intake filter and find a way to feed direct fresh air into there.

As for IAT1 I did not monitor. I was just looking at my X4. Will do some logs on my computer today.

·
10 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,609 Posts
I know pulley ratio is a factor as well. Last night I did some pulls on the street. AFRs where good and boost seems to have dropped from previous 26PSI. It was at about 22.5PSI last night. Maybe it has to do with bigger discharge port? I had the 1.6PR before on the Gen 3. I run a 3.00 upper and 10LB lower.

Yes I have the low vacuum bypass valve from whipple. I seem to get good vacuum. I need to build some sort of box to shield the heat from intake filter and find a way to feed direct fresh air into there.

As for IAT1 I did not monitor. I was just looking at my X4. Will do some logs on my computer today.
Iat1 will tell you if heat extraction or an air box do any good. If iat1 is ambient or very close then neither will help.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Iat1 will tell you if heat extraction or an air box do any good. If iat1 is ambient or very close then neither will help.
Thanks will log today and check.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,718 Posts
While I can't say if it helps or not, as I don't monitor those things y'all are discussing, I have this hood that Kenny Proctor did for me. With functional heat vents and the cowl portion is also a heat extractor. I had it done for the aesthetics, and yes, I know there are some here that don't like it. Fine, I get a ton of compliments on it here. I have another set of these carbon fiber vents to install on my Mustang soon as it gets warm. Late last year, I put a set of cheap ones on my Ranger's hood, to see if I could do it before doing the Stang.

Here's a little story on the one on the Ranger. One day two weeks ago, truck was covered in snow and I needed to get somewhere. Got the snow off most of the truck, but the vents were still full. Started on my way and at about 50 mph, all the snow in those vents suddenly came flying out of them and hit the windshield. It took some airflow through those vents to push the snow out of all of them at the same time. And also, the Ranger has required 93 octane gas for years or it talks to me. It doesn't need 93 octane any more, running 89 in it now.

I'll say it again, I know the Ranger is ugly. It's a bad weather beater. I drive it hard and put it away wet. Had it 21 years now. Not getting rid of it til it's pushin up daisies. It's got 175,000 miles on it now. Bet it goes a lot further.

Attachments

Reactions: RDLGHTN and NMSVT

·
regular joe
1,428 Posts
While I can't say if it helps or not, as I don't monitor those things y'all are discussing, I have this hood that Kenny Proctor did for me. With functional heat vents and the cowl portion is also a heat extractor. I had it done for the aesthetics, and yes, I know there are some here that don't like it. Fine, I get a ton of compliments on it here. I have another set of these carbon fiber vents to install on my Mustang soon as it gets warm. Late last year, I put a set of cheap ones on my Ranger's hood, to see if I could do it before doing the Stang.

Here's a little story on the one on the Ranger. One day two weeks ago, truck was covered in snow and I needed to get somewhere. Got the snow off most of the truck, but the vents were still full. Started on my way and at about 50 mph, all the snow in those vents suddenly came flying out of them and hit the windshield. It took some airflow through those vents to push the snow out of all of them at the same time. And also, the Ranger has required 93 octane gas for years or it talks to me. It doesn't need 93 octane any more, running 89 in it now.

I'll say it again, I know the Ranger is ugly. It's a bad weather beater. I drive it hard and put it away wet. Had it 21 years now. Not getting rid of it til it's pushin up daisies. It's got 175,000 miles on it now. Bet it goes a lot further.
People can say what they want. I dont know what is better....them looking good or actually being functional. I just dont have the ballzongas to cut my hood!

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,718 Posts
People can say what they want. I dont know what is better....them looking good or actually being functional. I just dont have the ballzongas to cut my hood!
I get it. Like I posted, a body/paint guy on this forum did my Lightning. And I did my 23 year old beat up daily driver Ranger for the sole purpose of seeing if I could do it. I am a Sheet Metal Mechanic. I know a guy out here that, part of his auto business is installing hood scoops and vents on other's vehicles. Also like I said, my Ranger has required 93 octane gas for years. Since doing this, it runs fine on 89. So something positive happened as a result.

·
Administrator
18,491 Posts
Rear rubber gasket the one above firewall and plastic cover over the wiper arms?

As for the radiator cover I'll be removing tomorrow to see if it helps any and try the gasket trick if it's the same one I'm thinking of.

As for the hood, I think I might be ordering it and testing. Not bad for the price.
Yep. Cut a foot out of the center of that gasket. It helps a touch. Old school was to shim the rear of hood up a bit. i am sure that is where that idea came from.

10# and 3" is a LOT of pulley for a street driven 2.9 setup, though.

Jim

·
10 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,609 Posts
Yep. Cut a foot out of the center of that gasket. It helps a touch. Old school was to shim the rear of hood up a bit. i am sure that is where that idea came from.

Jim
Thats the same pulley combo as the fastest 2.9 whipple truck... on his race tune. At the track. With Ice.

Reactions: NMSVT

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Jim
Got it. Will be doing this over the weekend and removing the radiator cover.

I know it's an aggressive pulley combo. I'm considering going down in boost. The thing is I'm power hungry and like to have all my horses lined up for any chance I get to annihilate any fast car/truck on the street! I am gonna be doing everything possible to keep those downstream temps down.. I'm probably one of very few people who drive a 800HP+ lightning on the street. I'd like to hear from other 2.9 high HP trucks who drive on the street on a regular bases. I enjoy every second I drive my truck. Never a dull moment!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats the same pulley combo as the fastest 2.9 whipple truck... on his race tune. At the track. With Ice.
Marty has the fastest 2.9 whipple truck right?

I can't wait till my track opens up and I'll be running ICE, more timing, and as light as possible. Hope to break into the mid to low 10s with my setup and weight.

·
10 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,609 Posts
Marty has the fastest 2.9 whipple truck right?

I can't wait till my track opens up and I'll be running ICE, more timing, and as light as possible. Hope to break into the mid to low 10s with my setup and weight.
Ya marty.

I'm hoping for 10.60s this spring.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ya marty.

I'm hoping for 10.60s this spring.
Marty deserves it! Can't wait till he posts those low 9 sec passes!

And hell yeah Dusten we on the same level 👍 hope we get it done this year.

·
Carbon Fiber Addict
12,793 Posts
Love my viper style hood, I noticed my IAT's and engine bay temps dropped considerably after installing it. The intake pulls fresh air from one of the heat extractors above it. At cruising speeds the front ram air intake pulls fresh air into the engine bay.

Oh and it made my cogs and KB sound way louder from the outside lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts