Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
02 lightning/03 cobruh
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp two steps forward and one back. I thought I was gonna be ok with doing a bandaid on my fuel system for at least the break in on my new motor but I had a little issue with my fuel pressure spiking and I'm a little hesitant now.

I got walbros In and did hd's wiring upgrade and did a bigger return line for now. Not sure if it's just a bad diaphragm but my fuel pressure is at 60psi at idle now. The first few startups we're normal at 35psi at idle.

I had planned on having this truck being drivable a couple weeks back now since my daily needs to be dropped off at the trans shop on Tues. The only thing holding me up RN is the fuel in my lightning. Don't other guys run walbros with the rest of the stock fuel system? It just shortens the life of the pumps right? I'm looking for the easiest temporary solution just so i can get to work and stuff.

For reference I have a 2.3 whip and 60lbers, walbros, upgraded return line. I have a fore system and 80lb e85 injectors otw that's going in, it'll just take time since I gotta pull the blower again.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
If you still have the stock fuel rails installed then most likely there’s your issue.

·
Registered
02 lightning/03 cobruh
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you still have the stock fuel rails installed then most likely there’s your issue.
No yea I know, when I was putting the the truck back together I already had fore rails, but money was super tight already and I was hoping that if I upgraded the return line I wasn't gonna run into this problem. I just bought a fore setup, but can't finish that for a few weeks. Was just wondering if I could either run the walbros for a bit and buy another regulator since mines probably done being so old. Or just swap the stock pumps in and leave the 60lbers and adjust on the tune or something. Just for a couple weeks until I get my daily going.

·
Registered
02 lightning/03 cobruh
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can probably drop the tank and swap pumps in 20 min with the help of a friend. I've dropped the tank enough times now lol. I'm going to do tge rest of the fuel system the way I should have done it in the first place in a few weeks but, basically I'm just trying to limit down time. If I can anyway. If I run a new stock regulator would it blow the diapragm again? I thought some guys get away with the walbros and nothing else. I know it limits the life of the pumps but don't they still run without this problem?

·
Former Rowing Team.
04 Lightning
11,883 Posts
I had walbro 255's and 60's for around 7-9ish years and didnt have issues. Then once one or both were going out, it was draining the fuel rails on the hit. So i did DW300 fuel pumps and that led me down to the road of a full fuel system.

I talked to walbro and they couldnt tell me a way to test my fuel pumps to ensure they were working properly.

·
Registered
02 lightning/03 cobruh
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had walbro 255's and 60's for around 7-9ish years and didnt have issues. Then once one or both were going out, it was draining the fuel rails on the hit. So i did DW300 fuel pumps and that led me down to the road of a full fuel system.

I talked to walbro and they couldnt tell me a way to test my fuel pumps to ensure they were working properly.
Damn idk why I got the worst luck haha. I'm just having the opposite problem as you, I'm getting way to much fuel now My pumps are brand new. Pretty sure they aren't knockoffs.

You running them for that long with no problems and I know other guys do to, That's why I didnt think I was gonna have a problem it seems like most people run them without having problems at least for a year anyway. I upgraded the fp wiring and put a bigger return line. And I didn't even really get to drive it yet and here I am asking already lol. I pretty much only needed the hat but I got one on the way already. We have e98 here for 7 bucks a gallon so I'm gonna just get it setup for that in a couple weeks. I guess I'm gonna try and change the stock regulator out first and go from there for now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've had dual 255s for 12 years now with 60lb injectors and otherwise stock fuel stuff. Tuner took out the hi/low so they just run on high always. I don't have a pressure gauge, but I never had a single problem save for one.... it goes way rich for an instant and sputters when you floor it off idle. I learned to drive around that now. Tuner couldn't get the rich sputter out, and we decided rich for a second was better than lean for a second.

·
Registered
02 lightning/03 cobruh
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had dual 255s for 12 years now with 60lb injectors and otherwise stock fuel stuff. Tuner took out the hi/low so they just run on high always. I don't have a pressure gauge, but I never had a single problem save for one.... it goes way rich for an instant and sputters when you floor it off idle. I learned to drive around that now. Tuner couldn't get the rich sputter out, and we decided rich for a second was better than lean for a second.
Ten years? Interesting. What is your setup?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry my first reply was 10years, but i realized i am older now and its been 12 going on 13 years with this setup. Stock 01 motor, KB 2.3 15psi, BA2400 MAF, 60lb inj, dual 255's, tune. Not really that much else done that relates to this discussion. I would say I have 15k-ish miles since the above was installed and tuned.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We have e98 here for 7 bucks a gallon so I'm gonna just get it setup for that in a couple weeks. I guess I'm gonna try and change the stock regulator out first and go from there for now.
Ethanol, just make sure you don't let it sit for any length of time. I have a buddy that went E85, 90lb, triple walbros, bigger lines, etc. He had that junk turn into jelly in his gas tank TWICE. He is done with Ethanol now, moving back to gas. I think it may be more that he doesn't drive it all that much so it sits long periods, but still.

·
Former Rowing Team.
04 Lightning
11,883 Posts
Damn idk why I got the worst luck haha. I'm just having the opposite problem as you, I'm getting way to much fuel now My pumps are brand new. Pretty sure they aren't knockoffs.

You running them for that long with no problems and I know other guys do to, That's why I didnt think I was gonna have a problem it seems like most people run them without having problems at least for a year anyway. I upgraded the fp wiring and put a bigger return line. And I didn't even really get to drive it yet and here I am asking already lol. I pretty much only needed the hat but I got one on the way already. We have e98 here for 7 bucks a gallon so I'm gonna just get it setup for that in a couple weeks. I guess I'm gonna try and change the stock regulator out first and go from there for now.
I had a conversation with Korn 2+ years ago about fuel system upgrades when i did DW300's and then the full fuel system. My memory sucks but i think i recall him saying usually 255's work. I think when someone add's better wiring such hard Josh's wiring kit (which i did to fix my DW300 popping fuses), the fuel pumps can flow more. You may be overpowering your stock regulator. We over powered my stock regulator one we got the DW300's to stop popping fuses. If you have a fuel hat that accepts bigger AN lines, i would just do a full fuel system and be done with it.

·
Registered
02 lightning/03 cobruh
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You know what I think you're right, I think the wiring upgrade is working to well lol. It makes sense now that I think about it. After the wiring upgrade, there weren't any popped fuses anymore. At least now I know that it's not my car luck this time haha. Thanks for sharing that cause I was going nuts wondering why.

Yes I bought the fore stuff that was for sale here. Hopefully it comes in soon. I dropped the tank and everything already again. I just am not looking forward to pulling the blower again to change the rails. I gotta buy the stupid an tool this time tho I'm tired of always cutting my fingers trying to make lines..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts