Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
broncobeater 04' L
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone can help me with this. Put 97' fuel rails with 1 to 1 boost referencing adjustable regulator on my truck. Will this require a change in my tune? Was tuned for factory regulator set=up. Adjusted base fuel pressure to 35 PSI. Just not sure on the tune part. Thanks Darrell

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
I would think it would be a good idea, just in case there was some sort of change in pressure....at least dataloging would be a good idea.

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
No tune needed as long as you set the fuel pressure back to stock. As was said before about 39psi with no vacuum.

Main reason for the 97 rails is you can tune out issues with the Walbro pumps by either turning the pumps on 100% in the tune, removing the resistor or jumping the relay. Either way the after market fuel regulator will work fine as far as I know. Where as the stock regulator gets over run and screws up the pressure. Easy way is to check your LTFT and see if they changed.

One addition if you do choose to run the pumps at 100% all the time make sure to keep at least a 1/4 tank of gas to cool them. You take a good chance of burning them up other wise. A number of people here on LR can attest to that.

·
broncobeater 04' L
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I take it the 100% duty cycle on the pumps is to insure adequate pressure at all RPM's? Then the stock set-up w/resistor and hi-lo relay will not supply adequate fuel to my 97 rails? I need a little more info on this.

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
Spend some time reading about the Walbro's you will find enough Horror stories to understand why many use the 97' rails. Some people are fine using them(Walbro's) some like me have nothing but issues.

I have seen numerous fixes but so far the only one I know works is the 97' rails with an after market fuel regulator. I don't like that option because I like the stock setup. I did see at one point an thought that they might have an anti drain back issue. But never seen anything about it since. Basically the problem some people(me included) have is mid throttle bucking fuel pressure issues. At mid/high throttle you can see the fuel pressure bouncing if you have a gauge.

I tried new relay, new resistor, a heat sink on the resistor(which gets damn hot). Nothing worked sorry I refuse to try the duel resistor mod because I work on electronics and it makes no sense what so ever.

Bottom line the 100% duty cycle takes out the high/low pump issue that some people have.

·
broncobeater 04' L
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My combination should be providing around 525 rwhp. New built motor w/MP 2.7 upper and #8 lower. Comp 270 cams, dynatech's walbro's etc, etc. Also have the heatsink mod from Jason. I've read quite a bit, but like most will probably find out w/hindsight. Darrell

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.