Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
having a problem with the fuel pressure. i have 2 255 pumps, stainless y, gates hose, 97 rails, aeromotive reg, 60 lb injectors, with the resistor bypassed to run the pumps wideopen 12 volts.
I can turn the key on and fuel pressure jumps to 40 lb. turn key off and pressure drops to 20 lb. instantly. if you crank it it runs at 40 lb. but if you try and get into boost the pressure will not increse any higher. we put Two guages on it to verify what was happening and they read the same.
Are the pumps going bad or do you think there is something wrong with the reg???

has anyone had any more feed back on the Aeromotive 340 stealth (11142) pumps?? or would the walleys be the wiser choice if the pumps are going bad???

thanks for you time and sorry for the long post.

·
Innovator of the Bombassani exhaust
2,428 Posts
Half asleep... You are jumped already. Edited

---
- Sent from my Iphone 4 w/Android flavor

Reactions: finkshd

·
Innovator of the Bombassani exhaust
2,428 Posts
Did you use worm clamps on your pump hoses??? Those things are horrible to use on this application. They cut into the hose with ease.

---
- Sent from my Iphone 4 w/Android flavor

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Sounds like either the fpr is failing or the fpr isn't seeing boost - have you verified that the boost signal is reaching the fpr? (vacuum at idle and boost pressure when wot).

Bird

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,677 Posts
X2 on checking the vacuum lines and FPR

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
we put the pumps in 3-3.5 years ago and we did use worm clamps on the hose.....we pulled the vac. line off the reg. and it seamed to be working..
wouldn't one of the pumps be failing if it would not build any pressure at all?
the reg is less than 1 year old if that helps.

anyone have any info on the aeromotive 340 pumps yet???

·
Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
5,887 Posts
Like said above, check the fuel pressure reg and make sure the vacuum line is hooked up to a vacuum/boost source. The fuel pressure reg is boost/vacuum sensitive 1:1
Are you sure there is a boost sensitive regulator in the 97 rails. And not a NA regulator.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
Sounds exactly like what happened with mine! The worm clamps had cut into the fuel hose and were bleeding fuel back into the tank. You need to drop the tank and check the hoses! While you're in there replace them with a fuel line clamp...something that tightens from the side without cutting into the hose.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts

·
Even Then I Was Old Skool!
10,411 Posts
Had a similar issue last week when we dyno tuned the truck. Dropped the tank and found that one of the pumps was totally dead. Replaced both with BOSCH pumps because my tuner doesn't feel 100% comfortable with Walbros and OEM wiring as they draw more current and he has seen failures caused by this. His solution is to create a new wiring circuit that can handle the sudden draw but told me that for my 99% street use, it's a waste of money. BTW, Bosch pumps are roughly the same price as Walbros, so its the time and material to make the Walbros bulletproof.

As an aside, my hoses looked brand-new and had nice, but Jimmy suggested non-OEM SS pinch clamps... so possibly the PO had somebody (maybe JDM) in there once before. I've owned the truck for 5 years and nobody else has been in the tank while I've owned it. PO had JDM do a bunch of things on it when he had it.

Mike

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dropped the tank and found where the worm clamp was cutting in to the hose and where it hose split. one of the hoses was loose on the pump also. changed the hose to Gates submersable hose, replaced with fuel injecter clamps, and new strainers on the pumps. fuel pressure is back working as it should.thanks for the help fellows.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts