Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fuel Pump Wiring Upgrade Kit Details are Here!!!
======================================

***EDIT***GB ENDS TOMORROW 4/15! We're currently at 50 deposits in! 1 more needed for max tier GB discount!!!

-Group buy for fuel pump wiring upgrade kits! Up to 20-30% Off!

-Kits for stock fuel hats, aftermarket fuel hats, single pump, dual pump, or triple pump setups!

-OEM-like operation of pumps, & optional 3rd pump harness kit allows independent operation of the 3rd pump

-Proven gains! On stock rails, stock injectors, stock lines, & aftermarket fuel pumps, I gained 12 PSI of fuel pressure with ONLY upgrading the fuel pump wiring! This shows how improved the wiring is over stock by reducing the voltage drop to the pump by a significant amount.
---This gives more margin on stock pumps before aftermarket upgrades are needed
---This gives more margin on aftermarket pumps before bigger pumps are needed (whether it's driven by more power, or by using E85, etc.)

-Kit details & install specifics are in the photo descriptions

-Group buy pricing will run for 1 week. Pricing tiers & terms are in the last photo.

-Deposits due by midnight 4/15/18, any kits after that will be at normal pricing and built after the GB run. I'm ordering materials 4/16, and expect to start building a week after when materials arrive.

-If you'd like to purchase a kit, please COMMENT below after you've sent a $50 non-refundable deposit (as a gift or cover the fee) to hdcircuitry(AT)gmail{D0T}com with the following in the pp note:
1.) KIT (OEM Hat Kit, Billet Dual Hat Kit, Billet Triple Hat Kit):________
2.) SHIPPING ADDRESS:______________
3.) HARLEY or LIGHTNING:_____________
4.) LR SCREEN NAME:________________
(or regular f150, but I need to know the wheelbase to adjust the kit length!)
***PLEASE DO NOT FORGET THIS INFORMATION! It's hard to keep track between LR, FB, & Email addresses!

-I will post up daily on which tier we are at so folks know what their balance will be when the GB ends 4/15. Balances will be due once I have kits built & ready to ship.

-Any questions please post below in the comments! (few questions I've gotten so far are yes if you have a stock fuel hat you need kit 1, if you have a fore hat you need kit 2, and if you want to hookup a 3rd pump you'll need the optional 3rd pump relay kit. :bigtu

Attachments

·
Registered
409 Posts
Sent I didn't realize I would need wheelbase as I have a reg. F150. I will send that to you later when I measure.

·
Panty Dropper
5,911 Posts
Actually, I do have one question: are the pass-thru wires in a stock hat sufficient for running dual 465 pumps or should we upgrade that ourselves?
In for some info on this as well. I plan to run 340’s in a modified stock hat

·
14,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We're at 16 deposits in over the past ~36 hours, just under a full week to still go, and I've got probably around 10 people who have messaged me about getting one but haven't sent anything yet. Should easily hit the 30 tier, possibly 40 tier.

Got it :smt023

Stock hat for me!

@Stricken I didn't see any deposit come in, unless a screen name wasn't put down. Let me know!

Actually, I do have one question: are the pass-thru wires in a stock hat sufficient for running dual 465 pumps or should we upgrade that ourselves?
Will dual 465's even fit in a stock hat?

That is a lot of pump, I'm not sure the draw off the top of my head, but I'd probably lean towards redoing the wiring inside the stock fuel hat since you're going to have to rework other things in the hat to fit the pumps themselves anyway. The factory hat is like 16 awg to 1 pump, then piggy backed to the 2nd pump. So 1 set of 16 awg wires is carrying all the current for both pumps. Not a problem for Walbro 255's or DW200's, etc. but dual 465's may be a bit much. In that case, I'd order my second kit. Even though I have it labeled as "billet hat", the only difference between the OEM hat kit and the billet hat kit, is the pump harness on my OEM hat kit has 1 pair of pump wires since the pumps are piggy-backed inside the fuel hat, and the pump harness on my billet hat kit has 2 pairs of pump wires since the billet hats run both sets of pump wires outside the fuel hat. If you get that kit and upgrade the wiring inside the hat, it'd be your best bet for dual 465s. You may even need to upgrade the feed/return diameters for pumps that big in the hat.

Sent I didn't realize I would need wheelbase as I have a reg. F150. I will send that to you later when I measure.
Just let me know cab/bed configuration and I can figure it out from there. The L kits I just build a little shorter than the HD kits since the fuel tanks sit a bit further forward in those with the shorter cabs.

You've sold me, PP gift sent !!
Got it! :smt023

In for some info on this as well. I plan to run 340’s in a modified stock hat
340's is a tough call. Twin 465's I'd upgrade the wiring inside the fuel hat, 340's probably need to compare the current draw between stock/255's/340's and see just how much more they're pulling. See my above comment on the 465s.

If it were my own truck and 340's I'd probably modify the in-tank wiring while modifying the hat anyway. But you could probably get away with just replacing the pass-thru wires with 12 AWG and still piggy back both pumps off them inside the tank. Then you're still with just 1 pair of wires thru the stock fuel hat instead of 2 pairs.

Reactions: LoganR

·
Panty Dropper
5,911 Posts
We're at 16 deposits in over the past ~36 hours, just under a full week to still go, and I've got probably around 10 people who have messaged me about getting one but haven't sent anything yet. Should easily hit the 30 tier, possibly 40 tier.

Got it :smt023

@Stricken I didn't see any deposit come in, unless a screen name wasn't put down. Let me know!

Will dual 465's even fit in a stock hat?

That is a lot of pump, I'm not sure the draw off the top of my head, but I'd probably lean towards redoing the wiring inside the stock fuel hat since you're going to have to rework other things in the hat to fit the pumps themselves anyway. The factory hat is like 16 awg to 1 pump, then piggy backed to the 2nd pump. So 1 set of 16 awg wires is carrying all the current for both pumps. Not a problem for Walbro 255's or DW200's, etc. but dual 465's may be a bit much. In that case, I'd order my second kit. Even though I have it labeled as "billet hat", the only difference between the OEM hat kit and the billet hat kit, is the pump harness on my OEM hat kit has 1 pair of pump wires since the pumps are piggy-backed inside the fuel hat, and the pump harness on my billet hat kit has 2 pairs of pump wires since the billet hats run both sets of pump wires outside the fuel hat. If you get that kit and upgrade the wiring inside the hat, it'd be your best bet for dual 465s. You may even need to upgrade the feed/return diameters for pumps that big in the hat.

Just let me know cab/bed configuration and I can figure it out from there. The L kits I just build a little shorter than the HD kits since the fuel tanks sit a bit further forward in those with the shorter cabs.

Got it! :smt023

340's is a tough call. Twin 465's I'd upgrade the wiring inside the fuel hat, 340's probably need to compare the current draw between stock/255's/340's and see just how much more they're pulling. See my above comment on the 465s.

If it were my own truck and 340's I'd probably modify the in-tank wiring while modifying the hat anyway. But you could probably get away with just replacing the pass-thru wires with 12 AWG and still piggy back both pumps off them inside the tank. Then you're still with just 1 pair of wires thru the stock fuel hat instead of 2 pairs.

Looking at the DW400’s, they are right around 18 amps at the max of what most would need (using base pressure). DW300’s are right around 13 amps. These are obviously rated for a single pump, and I’m not sure how 2 pumps running affects that. GSS342 is right at 10 amps for the same pressure.

·
14,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We're up to 18 paid deposits, and I've got a bunch of messages from folks asking questions deciding which one they need, so once those all send in we should be about 25 or so. Should be easy to hit 30, let's get 'em in folks! :bigtu

Looking at the DW400’s, they are right around 18 amps at the max of what most would need (using base pressure). DW300’s are right around 13 amps. These are obviously rated for a single pump, and I’m not sure how 2 pumps running affects that. GSS342 is right at 10 amps for the same pressure.

2 pumps would be twice the amperage. Voltage in parallel stays the same, current splits, so if DW400 pulls 18a then a pair pulls 36a, if DW300's pull 13a then a pair pulls 26a, and if 255's pull 10a then a pair pulls 20a.

So a single 400 is pulling almost as much as twin 255's, so while I'm comfortable with running a pair of 255's on stock hat wiring, I'd be nervous about running a pair of 400's on stock hat wiring, that's almost like quad 255's lol. In that case it's worthwhile to get my kit for the "billet hat" which just means it's got a pair of pump wires, and then upgrade your hat wiring to have separate pairs of wires for each pump. Your other option if you only want to pass-thru 1 pair of wires, is just upgrade the wire size internal to the hat and the pass thru. It's like 16 awg stock, so upgrade that to a 12 awg wire in the pass thru, and you can even leave paired 16 awg wire on the Y splice inside the tank, and that'd be a much safer option than a single 16 awg pass thru and the 2nd pump piggy backed off the 1st.

Reactions: LoganR

·
Registered
151 Posts
Deposit sent!

Edit- On bypassing the resistor on the oem kit is it just in the tune or wiring I need to do or does the kit bypass its wiring?

1 - 20 of 185 Posts