Lightning Rodder banner

Found a Lightning. Right price?

2K views 33 replies 23 participants last post by  rich017 
#1 ·
Well, I found a Lightning that is what I want. 03 Sonic Blue with the stock chrome rims that were an option. 2nd owner and only 21K miles completely stock. Sits in a garage next to some high dollar cars.

He is asking around $21K. What do you guys think of that price?

#6 ·
If you are going to mod it, I would say to buy one that is already modded.

If you just want to keep it stock (none of us have ever managed to do that...lol) then I think the price is high. I mean, it REALLY has to be immaculate to get that kind of money. I would talk him down as much as possible, then get back with us...

#11 ·
you guys must have stole yours, I paid like 27 for my 04 in April of 07 with 35k miles on it from a dealer

#12 ·
I was thinking it was high but not how much. Was hoping to get it for around $18k. The truck is immaculate. Looking for stock and very low miles. The most I will do for mods is a lower, maf, and a tune.

#29 ·
I was thinking it was high but not how much. Was hoping to get it for around $18k. The truck is immaculate. Looking for stock and very low miles. The most I will do for mods is a lower, maf, and a tune.
When I bought mine 9 years ago I told my buddy I was going to keep it stock and it was just a daily driver while the Cobra was the hot rod. Well three weeks later it hit the dyno for a tune, CAI, and a pulley. Well now it's a caged 10 second beast. Just beware of the Mod Bug, it bites real hard with these trucks.

I agree it is high priced but like many have said it is up to what you want. Make an offer.

#17 ·
After looking for several months, I bought a 2001 with 31K miles for $16,000, which I think is "about right" - neither high, nor low. But what made me pull the trigger was the fact that it was a one owner truck with light mods and very well taken care of. I think actual condition plays a huge roll in what you're willing to pay. I've seen low mileage truck with wear and tear that shouldn't be.... So, I'd say the truck you're looking at might a good deal at 18-19K..

#18 ·
I bought my 04 with 34k last September from a dealer for 20k, might be high for some but a local 66 year old man bought it new and it was bone stock and not a scratch, I wasn't even looking for one but had to have it after I saw it so I traded my 04 comp orange mach 1 for it, it all depends on what you want, I wanted a clean canvas to do exactly what I wanted so I wanted stock, good luck.

#20 ·
Condition is everything. It's more important than mileage imo. That's why I bought a super clean 99 with 175,000 miles on it. I've experianced some noobie problems like vac leaks and dumb stuff like that. Now that I know what to look for and where to look...I'm ok with it.

I've seen Lightnings, both stock and built in person and on this forum, that arent in as good a condition as mine. After shipping mine across the counrty, doing new axle seals, tuning and a dual fuel pump replacement...I'm in it $6500. It the engine goes I'd just go built. It runs exactly like some 04s with 30k on the clock.

It all comes down to condition and your budget. If you think this is the best condition vehicle that is within your budget, buy it.

#22 ·
It's not a bad price. On the high side, but if it's in excellent condition, probably worth it.

i picked up a 99 lightning 29 k on the odometer for 12,000 with a 100,000 mile warranty in that price

last month
but it was purple.... that's a huge price discount you have to give right there trying to move a purple lightning

Its too much. I paid 21k for my 2004 Sonic Blue in 2006 at a dealership!! It only had 14.4k miles on it also.
That's not really a fair comparison, it's a much different market now. In 2006, 95% of 2004 lightnings had low miles. Now the supply of low-mile trucks is much lower. Almost all 2004 lightnings would have had less than 30k miles, so sellers had to compete on price. Today, finding an 8 year old truck with only 21k miles is very rare. Chrome 03's are very rare (vs. the days when you could get a full set for pennies from Ford Racing) The seller has all that on his side now.

I would change the wheels again.:shitstormretarded
Agreed! This man knows :smt023

#27 ·
A couple of weeks ago you could've bought Josh's [JTBtheWelder] built sonic blue '04 for $14K (asking price). The motor had maybe 4000-5000 on it, truck had 42K on it and it was stellar! Had the bucket seat/console mod, great project truck, just needed a few pieces to make it a legit low 11-second truck.

That price is too high, but if you want to pay high for a low-mileage (30K-2001) un-raced not beat on garage queen truck, buy mine LOL. You can have it for $21K as it sits with all the trophy-winning bling. I keep my dog.

Mike

#30 ·
It's just so damn easy to make power in relation to the mod expense with these trucks. You can spent about $1700 and get nearly 80-100hp. That's pretty damn good.

It's almost weird for me to read about Lightnings that are stock lol.

If I were keeping mine, I'd do a 6# lower, CAI intake, plenum, plugs, boost bypass, lower gears, MAF, stat, SBTB, E-Fan, idler, Punsisher VB, and a dyno tune or Amazon email tune. I'd also plug the SC for the extra whine! That's about $2000 in mods that really are night and day on a stock block. I'd run that until she died and then go built longblock with the Eaton and eventually do a Whipple 2.3.

But I'm not keeping it lol. I want my DD supercharged. This driving the L only on sunny Saturdays is killing me. I look at this truck in my driveway and drool.

#33 ·
i bought my 02 true blue rarest color lightning with boltons and the chrome 01-02 wheels with 43k miles in may 07 for $20,500. the truck had about $3-4k in mods and other stuff on it.

#34 ·
The guy who owns this truck is older and he has had the truck for a couple years now and it has only been driven a few times since then. This truck is brand new inside and out. Never been raced, modded, tracked, etc... f

The truck is up in NC but he is down here for a while and he is a friend of a friend. Talked to him today and I am very confident that I can get the truck for $19K. $70 plane ticket to get up there and 600miles back. Now I need to sell my damn truck!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.