Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 02 Lightning I brought to the local Ford dealership with what I thought was a bad coil. After 1 then 2 techs looked at it and a foreman who came and looked at it after 2 weeks at their garage, I'm told I need a long block. Compression loss in cylinders 1, 2, and 5. I take it elsewhere and relieved to learn it was only a cam sensor and a disconnected injector. The cam did jump a tooth. Replaced the sensor, Compression just fine, and she runs like the day I bought her 20 years ago. To think I was looking around to do a rebuild and needless costs!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've got an 02 Lightning I brought to the local Ford dealership with what I thought was a bad coil. After 1 then 2 techs looked at it and a foreman who came and looked at it after 2 weeks at their garage, I'm told I need a long block. Compression loss in cylinders 1, 2, and 5. I take it elsewhere and relieved to learn it was only a cam sensor and a disconnected injector. The cam did jump a tooth. Replaced the sensor, Compression just fine, and she runs like the day I bought her 20 years ago. To think I was looking around to do a rebuild and needless costs!
Than that means a bad techs. Some don't know there way around. Doesnt mean its a stealership, it means its a bad service dealer. It's like a realtor, if you find a good dealer it's always good.

Glad you took it to that other shop.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Jumped a tooth"
Is this a thing? Can you be off by a tooth and not crash valves into the piston?
Apparently not. This is what the mechanic who did the work told me. Either way, my truck is running great. I've even had a custom dyno-tune done with an SCT X4 and a 4lb lower pulley.
Did the Steeda cold air kit, free flow cats and Basani exhaust years ago. Figured it was time to complete the setup after all these years. Didn't want to go too crazy considering she's got 119k on the clock.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Go to local race track. Look to see who is racing fords 4.6-5.4. Mustangs mainly. You will find a reliable mechanic that will work with you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Go to local race track. Look to see who is racing fords 4.6-5.4. Mustangs mainly. You will find a reliable mechanic that will work with you.
I'm glad I hooked up with the guy who proved Ford wrong. I went back and showed them what he found versus their genius techs, and got a full refund on the $679 they charged for the diagnosis!
Which one, the dealer one or the one that "fixed" it?
The dealership told me I had 3 bad cylinders with over 70% compression loss and the truck ran worse than when I brought it. The mechanic I brought it to found the cam sensor and injector problem.
Mechanic did great by me, but Ford was who said I needed a motor. I've had issues with this dealership in the past. I showed them the work order from my mechanic and also got a full refund on the $679.00 diagnostic they charged me.
Ya, the pistons on these sit pretty far in the hole.
Lucky for me!

·
Registered
97 F150 Lariat rcsb 4.6 5 speed 2wd
34 Posts
Over half those so called "technician " don't know what holds their own ass together much less vehicle. Crying shame they have a job at a dealership.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Its so bad there its not even funny. I've went through 7 out of 8 dealers here. Every one of them has had a severe problem. Ex. They used a impact on a wheel lock, broke off, couldn't remove and told me I had to replace axle for $2000.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Different dealer, I took in to get windshield replaced. Only had maybe 10k miles on the lightning. They totally trashed the interior with grease and mud and gave it back to me. I was ready to nuke that dealer from orbit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great! That worked out better than!
Minus the aggravation. We dyno tuned this baby and she putting up some good numbers for a deadmotor..hahaha. gotta redo max rpm because the intercooler showed it wasn't working. Waiting to coordinate and get it back on the dyno!
I'll post the numbers when I get em!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts