Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is my story, I have an 02 HD that I have had for about a year, it has 240k...

When I bought the old girl she came with a very sorry and sad electric fan setup, and as you can imagine living in Socal i had heating and overheating issues...

so I thought lets hang in one of those awesomer digical 9000 electromatic fans...

a good buddy of mine who builds race cars had told there are only two types of electric fans...those that have failed and those that are about to fail....of course i ignored his years of experience and installed it anyways

Well 500 some odd bucks and several hours of teeth mashing later, the flex a lite 270 was installed and humming like a charm....

For all of 6 months....

so last week her controller box fried and the wires were toasted.......

Well lessoned learned, I decided to go back to the factree setup, clutch fan and fan...(overpriced shroud coming in the mail soon)

Paid a couple of hundred bucks in parts, Motorcraft for sure...
During the installation of the new clutch fan, found out the feller before me had installed a NA water pump...or that's what the parts guy told me which was why i lost hours trying to figure out why the clutch wouldn't marry up to the water pump...anyways pump swapped fan installed yaaay for me right!!!

Wrong...

After two days of rolling around today, my temps shot up to 210+ on just a short run to the local deli shop for a samwhich...of course disgusted I slammed the hood down and walked into my office at home and now typing this goddamn frustrating ass story, I'm sure I need therapy after this...

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've posted this experience before .. to some criticism, but , next time it overheats check to see if there's more heat coming out of one front wheel well than the other
ie.. check for a hot wheel hub / tire .. but don't touch it as it may be really really hot

I had an overheating issue , twice .. temps would go as high as 220.. it was my front caliper draging on the rotor.. bad, old gummy inside brake hoses needed replaced

it produces SO MUCH HEAT the radiator becomes ineffective as there's a box of super hot air behind it

and if overheating on a short trip that maybe should only "just" bring it up to operating temp this may be a likely cause

otherwise I'd be doubting the new waterpump

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've posted this experience before .. to some criticism, but , next time it overheats check to see if there's more heat coming out of one front wheel well than the other
ie.. check for a hot wheel hub / tire .. but don't touch it as it may be really really hot

I had an overheating issue , twice .. temps would go as high as 220.. it was my front caliper draging on the rotor.. bad, old gummy inside brake hoses needed replaced

it produces SO MUCH HEAT the radiator becomes ineffective as there's a box of super hot air behind it

and if overheating on a short trip that maybe should only "just" bring it up to operating temp this may be a likely cause

otherwise I'd be doubting the new waterpump
Appreciate the advice I will pop the wheels off and see what the hell we have to going on...and if it is the pump gawddamn it...lol....but just for arguments sake 210 is way too hot for normal operation...i just want to be sure cause i have read so many misleading reports on that subject...

·
Registered
120 Posts
When my instances happened I was dealing with the original 2001 brake hoses at about 16 and 18 years old
the fist time it happened I stopped at a gas station .. realized my wheel was really hot and 4 or 5 buckets of water vaporized INSTANTLY..it was THAT hot

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Sounds like you have a few issues going on. First thing I’d do is put a new thermostat in it. Next, if you ever do decide to run electric fans, is check your running voltage at idle. Every burned up controller I’ve seen was either due to inadequate wire size to the controller, bad grounds, or most often, low idle voltage.

·
Registered
120 Posts
another thought / hope for simple solution

you just put a waterpump on..possibly there's an air bubble in the cooling system that needs blead out ??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts