Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if any of y'all had ran into this problem, i was driving my truck hit a WOT pull close to my house at the freeway took the exit for my house and at the light it started to hesitate i guess like a missfire i have a wideband guage now, so the OD is flashing and when i was going from a stop the truck was reading super lean like 18s i was close so i parked it im pretty sure its a burn plug but whats up with the flashing OD?

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
11,741 Posts
It's like a check engine light, but for your transmission.
Check for any codes...
Check the wire harness, for maybe a pinched or broken wire.
Fuse 27?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's like a check engine light, but for your transmission.
Check for any codes...
Check the wire harness, for maybe a pinched or broken wire.
Fuse 27?
Noted and noted, i had just filled the gas tank as well i dont i know i was doing things i shouldnt have been doing because my AFRS were reading 13-14s at WOT the tranny fluid doesnt smell burnt or black, there is however a check engine light so i will check tomorrow for codes probably change some plugs if that the case and hopefully its like my last engine where it gave me a couple of plug changes before it went, that way i can tune it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so i got a reader in it im pretty sure i melted some wires, because its too many codes.
P0743- Torque convertor clutch solenoid circuit electrical

P0755- shift solenoid b circuit malfunction

P1747- transmission pressure control short circuit

P0443- evap purge control circuit
P1451- 02 sensor heater circuit malfunction
P0135
P0141
P0155
P0161
P0750

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so i got a reader in it im pretty sure i melted some wires, because its too many codes.

P0135
P0141
P0155
P0161
P0750

P0135
P0141
P0155
P0161
P0750
well just got under there and nope the wire loom cover was attached to the top of the cat. Melting but the wires were still very much intact, could it have been that the computer was detecting them getting super hot that it threw all those codes? Or am i dealing with a bad pcm?

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,835 Posts
On my Mustang, when it was flashing, the code was a P0741, Torque Converter Clutch Locked Off. A friend with a transmission shop changed out the torque converter, and no more code. When the TC clutch is locked off, the converter slips too much, hence you feel a loss of power.

Blinking OD OFF light is the same thing as a Check Engine light, but for the transmission. Takes a special reader to get the codes. A friend of mine with a transmission shop a mile away, checked mine. Problem is, unlike the CE light, the blinking OD OFF light resets every time you shut off the vehicle. So you have to take it to get read while it's still running, and leave it idling until they check it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Long Tubes?? I had a similar issue, same as stated above. check o2 extension wires. Mine looked good at first inspection but later found melted and shorted out.
Stock headers high flow magna mids, did you have a similar issue as far as the truck going forward it seems to go in reverse fine. Dont know i recently added my guages all 3 my back up camara aswell, good thing i bought a soldering gun.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On my Mustang, when it was flashing, the code was a P0741, Torque Converter Clutch Locked Off. A friend with a transmission shop changed out the torque converter, and no more code. When the TC clutch is locked off, the converter slips too much, hence you feel a loss of power.
I hear you it could be what im most worried about is the engine i didnt get any misfire codes though.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Mine had no 1st gear, started in 2nd gear. Yes reverse worked & light was flashing. The fuse mentioned by Certified Drunk above was blown from short.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Blinking OD OFF light is the same thing as a Check Engine light, but for the transmission. Takes a special reader to get the codes. A friend of mine with a transmission shop a mile away, checked mine. Problem is, unlike the CE light, the blinking OD OFF light resets every time you shut off the vehicle. So you have to take it to get read while it's still running, and leave it idling until they check it.
So youre saying those codes i got are basically garbage i mean it is a very cheap code reader, that is probably just guessing amongst 100 things what the problem is, I'm going to try putting into first 2nd and drive i current theory is the the tranny is gone, at 160k,

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,835 Posts
So youre saying those codes i got are basically garbage i mean it is a very cheap code reader, that is probably just guessing amongst 100 things what the problem is, I'm going to try putting into first 2nd and drive i current theory is the the tranny is gone, at 160k,
If it's cheap, but it can read transmission codes, they're likely correct. I have an El Cheapo reader as well, doesn't do trans codes at all. The P0741 codes I had, when you Google it, there is a list of things that can cause the T.C. clutch to not lock. Some of them are electrical. Then there's the solenoids, changing the fluid and filter. When I first got the blinking light, had my friend change the fluid and filter and the six-pack of solenoids. Didn't do a thing. Then the transmission failed on me one day. Had it towed to his shop, where him and his son dropped the transmission. They found a broken snap ring inside, which had proceeded to reek havoc inside. Rebuilt the entire trans and put in a new converter. It's good as new now.

I am definitely no expert on automatic transmissions. They're magical to me, like magic carpets. Thankfully I have a friend who knows his way around them. Watched him rebuild a Lincoln Navigator Continuously variable transmission several weeks ago. MAN! I wouldn't even know where to start. What a nightmare that thing looked like.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so im pretty sure its an electrical problem, 1st works fine second does too, and reverse works as ut should i went into the harness and it was burnt some cables looked a little cooked haha and also i installed a remote start in my truck a couple of weeks back and when i went to take the key off the damn truck stayed on, so wiring problems is most likely the culprit of my PULL so my question is there was a couple of wires burnt can i cut and re solder them? Are all 4r100 tyranny's the same? Or does anyone have a spare harness laying around. Again all of these codes indicate to a circuit malfunction and i found some burnt wires so that the direction im going to take to fix it. Heres some pics

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
252 Posts
Your wires are burnt even if inspection looks good I had same issue and just bought same guage wire and just resolder which ever were hard to the touch and had burn stains on them.

As air fuel goes depending on your tune should be low 11s if email tune. But if air fuel went 13s all the way to 18s it do that when you slightly let off or immediately let off nothing is happening negatively. if you go 3/4 throttle and say see 12.1-13s you have a lean condition going on and going full throttle will hurt something.

If your worry your front o2 sensors aren't working just datalog with sct tuner and choose short fuel trims to make sure they are moving as they should and not stuck on idle

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Your wires are burnt even if inspection looks good I had same issue and just bought same guage wire and just resolder which ever were hard to the touch and had burn stains on them.

As air fuel goes depending on your tune should be low 11s if email tune. But if air fuel went 13s all the way to 18s it do that when you slightly let off or immediately let off nothing is happening negatively. if you go 3/4 throttle and say see 12.1-13s you have a lean condition going on and going full throttle will hurt something.

If your worry your front o2 sensors aren't working just datalog with sct tuner and choose short fuel trims to make sure they are moving as they should and not stuck on idle
Well i just ordered a new one from LMR im completely stock apart from CAI and throttle body my afrs usually read 14.7 at idle and cruise 11.5-12.5 3/4 thottle and 13/14 at WOT but my question was with the tranny wiring being down would that effect them?

·
Registered
252 Posts
No it shouldn't affect at all the short fuel trims since transmission harness only has the rear o2 sensors for the catalytic converters.

Did your fuel always read that much 11.5-12.5 before ?

11.5 is good but if it goes 12s it can be a bad tank of gas ,clogged fuel filter if everything is stock pulley wise and tune wise. I don't know if having a Intake effects air fuel much if maf sensor is stock and boost didnt change on a stock lightning with just intake.

But if before you had way lower air fuel I would look into a fuel filter change or add some octanium vp racing unleaded to improve gas quality and raise octane incase fill up you got is not actual 93oct.

I use boostane to make 93oct to 100oct for 20+ boost but you have to order online , but vp racing works aswell if you need to bring 93oct to 100oct but you can add half a can for 96oct, a 20 dollar proven octane booster additive with mmt safe for o2 sensors is cheaper to bring you to 96oct is cheaper than a motor incase gas is bad.

The others don't work for octane booster only vp racing octanium at oriellys and other two but online torch and boostane

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No it shouldn't affect at all the short fuel trims since transmission harness only has the rear o2 sensors for the catalytic converters.

Did your fuel always read that much 11.5-12.5 before ?

11.5 is good but if it goes 12s it can be a bad tank of gas ,clogged fuel filter if everything is stock pulley wise and tune wise. I don't know if having a Intake effects air fuel much if maf sensor is stock and boost didnt change on a stock lightning with just intake.

But if before you had way lower air fuel I would look into a fuel filter change or add some octanium vp racing unleaded to improve gas quality and raise octane incase fill up you got is not actual 93oct.

I use boostane to make 93oct to 100oct for 20+ boost but you have to order online , but vp racing works aswell if you need to bring 93oct to 100oct but you can add half a can for 96oct, a 20 dollar proven octane booster additive with mmt safe for o2 sensors is cheaper to bring you to 96oct is cheaper than a motor incase gas is bad.

The others don't work for octane booster only vp racing octanium at oriellys and other two but online torch and boostane
Well i had just filled up the tank im using a pro sport digital guage and got the bung right before the first 02 on the drivers side like at 2 oclock but im going to replace the harness the fuel filter and change the plugs again this week see whats going on. Truck doesnt sound like it has a miss though iddles fine goes in reverse fine first and second operate great its only when im in Drive and at a stop that the the afrs shoot up and the truck struggles to take off from drive really bad, and i dont have any missfire codes when your harness burnt up did some fuses go out with it?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts