Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
FLY NAVY
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha from Hawaii!

This is my first truck, first Ford, and first American car for that matter. My previous vehicles include a '92 Accord, an '04 RSX-S (bolt ons, tune), an '04 WRX (bolt ons, tune), a '91 MR2 Turbo (bolt ons, tune), and a '01 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS.

In the past, forums have provided me with a great deal of knowledge and tips concerning my vehicles. Since I am in the completely alien world of an American supercharged truck, I am sure I will be relying on YOU for advice.

I bought the truck with a K&N intake and Borla exhaust. Right now my end goal is to have a decently fast truck, but with nothing to prove. There is no dragstrip on Oahu, so I will never see the fruits of any mods, other than knowing my truck is faster than stock. That being said, I will also be using the truck to tow a small boat (<21 ft), and it is my daily driver. My plans include an LFP stage 1 package (4# lower, upper idler, boost bypass, SCT 2600 MAF, and NGK TR6 plugs), and eventually some longtube headers to open up the exhaust a bit. I would be running the OTS tune from SCT.

PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, but a few things I've gathered from lurking thus far. 1. Don't do anything WOT with the OD on...quick way to sling a rod through the hood. 2. Don't go WOT at <40*F OAT...not really an issue in HI. Anything else? I've read a couple stories of 6# lowers pegging the stock MAF and causing issues and 6# lowers blowing motors in general. Again, this is going to be my daily driver and will likely never see a track. Thanks for the input!

·
Premium Member
25,433 Posts
I'd say go with a 4lb lower, tune, and exhaust. A 6 needs supporting mods like MAF. Then you would want to add dual Walbro 255 fuel pumps, colder spark plugs. Then this, then that. Just do the basics and enjoy it. Oh yeah, and

:stoffer:

·
SLW-SVT
2,959 Posts
congrats! welcome aboard!

·
FLY NAVY
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had just read on the forums here that with an upgraded pulley, highway speed kickdowns are bad and that if possible, you should turn off the OD before going WOT to lessen the stress on the engine.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Sport90's #1
3,690 Posts
Welcome to LR.

You are correct. On anything but a built motor you really do not want to be going WOT with the OD ON as you don't want to do any 2 gear kickdowns and letting it shift from 3rd to OD causing too much stress on the stock rods and then they break...your motor go boom.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
welcome nice L

·
Flyin HI
31,061 Posts
Alooooooha!

Do you live on the Windward side? Pretty soon and we could actually have a GTG here, lol :yikes[smilie=dr:bigtu

·
Flyin HI
31,061 Posts
Sweet.
I'm in Mililani and DOC54 is on this side too. When did you get your truck? And coming from imports how did you get into an L?

If you need anything just ask:bigtu

·
FLY NAVY
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sweet.
I'm in Mililani and DOC54 is on this side too. When did you get your truck? And coming from imports how did you get into an L?

If you need anything just ask:bigtu
Just got my truck in June. I've always been a manual transmission import driver, so this is a big change for me. The biggest purpose of the truck is to launch a boat that I'm in the process of buying. I know the L isn't that good for towing, but many people do and the boat will be dry stored at the marina, so I will literally be towing it to the gas station and then right back to the ramp.

Coming from imports, I had no idea what torque was. My WRX was torquey, but nothing like this.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.