Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering what would be everyone’s suggestion to get a firmer shift out of my stock transmission. I dont want anything violent as I’d like to keep it driveable.

·
Registered
887 Posts

·
BagsR4groceries eBay built
9,587 Posts
I have a race one in my lightning and street one in my expedition. They are like that for a reason. Expedition daily lightning toy

·
Registered
373 Posts
Check with JJ at Woodbine Motorsports he’s on here. That’s where I got my Punisher Street valve body from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I have a race one in my lightning and street one in my expedition. They are like that for a reason. Expedition daily lightning toy
Well I just be damn. There you have it gentlemen...a prime example of putting common sense into use. Don't see much of that anymore !

Keith

·
Registered
109 Posts
What are thoughts on these upgrades to a tranny with 108,000 miles?

·
11 second street truck
10,535 Posts
A valve body only helps..

A1 trans or punisher are the best options

·
11 second street truck
10,535 Posts
I have a Craig Evans in mine. Don't know if makes them anymore, been years.
Gregg Evans
He owned Factory Tech
He stopped years ago.

·
Administrator
18,355 Posts
I put a Connecticut built race transmission in my own truck. Paul "Punisher" Delpo built it for me and I had previously had his street VB in my truck when it was milder. Woodbine sells these.

A1 is another fine choice. Lots of fast guys running them. I reccomend street versions for street use with any company. If your tune has trans pressure/timing work done in it, revert those to stock settings.

Jim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Was wondering what would be everyone’s suggestion to get a firmer shift out of my stock transmission. I dont want anything violent as I’d like to keep it driveable.
If you want a street valve body for your Lightning I would highly suggest a Punisher Valve Body. The guy who builds these has sold thousands of them for our transmissions. I purchased mine through Woodbine Motorsports along with a 4x4 transmission pan and filter he sells also. Makes it ten times easier to change transmission fluid the next time around. I think at the time 2 years ago I got all mine together for under $400 with tax. Price may have gone up a little.

Typically the way it works is the more gas you feed it the firmer it will shift. Easy throttle easy shift, medium throttle medium firm shift, full throttle full firmness shift, get what I'm saying. If you are unhappy at anytime with the way it shifts he can firm up or soften up any shift for you free of charge. How firm or soft it shifts will mostly depend on what suspension mods you have on your truck. They are pretty much set for a stock suspension truck out of the box. If you have any mods you just tell them ahead of time and they can choose to tweak it for you if needed. And if you add or change anything on your truck in the future you can still send it back in free of charge for him to retweak it.

I have a stock suspension and mine was pretty much 99 percent perfect out of the box. The reason I say 99 percent is the 1-2 and 2-3 shift were exactly where i wanted it. the 3-4 shift on occasions will shift a little firmer then i like but nothing violent just a little pet peeve. Doesn't bother me enough to remove it and have him retweak it though still very pleased with it. Driving around town normal it shifts 99 percent like stock and you can't even tell you have a performance valve body in it. When you get on it every time you going to say "Why didn't Ford put this in from the factory?" It will chirp/spin the tires going 1-2 and 2-3 will get you a chirp most the time depending on your tire choice. I have NT05s and for a pretty sticky street tire it still likes to spin them most the time into second. Truly one of the best mods I have done to any car I have ever owned with almost zero downfall unlike most performance parts.

A little word of advice if you do your own change on your valve body. The transmission pan bolts are junk. If you haven't removed your transmission pan bolts for many years like me cause I only had 33k miles on mine they will corrode pretty bad and may snap on you taking them off. I recommend heating them up spraying them down very good with a penetration fluid multiple times including you can get to the backside of several of the bolts too on the top side of the transmission. Then I would find a good flat punch and give each one a good hit with the punch on head of the bolt to help break away any corrosion. Then try to remove them. Then go up to the hardware store and buy some good stainless steel bolts and put those back in since you may not have to remove your bolts for a very long time now that you change your fluid without removing your pan.

So again if I had to buy a Punisher Valve Body over again i would do it every time. One of the best mods ever. Hard for me not to push the gas down every time I take off just to feel it shift. Seriously though Ford could have put this in at the factory and they would have less complaints from firm shifts then they did from everyone complaining about soft shifts. And it extends the life of your transmission clutch packs will less wear between shifts!

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
If you want a street valve body for your Lightning I would highly suggest a Punisher Valve Body. The guy who builds these has sold thousands of them for our transmissions. I purchased mine through Woodbine Motorsports along with a 4x4 transmission pan and filter he sells also. Makes it ten times easier to change transmission fluid the next time around. I think at the time 2 years ago I got all mine together for under $400 with tax. Price may have gone up a little.

Typically the way it works is the more gas you feed it the firmer it will shift. Easy throttle easy shift, medium throttle medium firm shift, full throttle full firmness shift, get what I'm saying. If you are unhappy at anytime with the way it shifts he can firm up or soften up any shift for you free of charge. How firm or soft it shifts will mostly depend on what suspension mods you have on your truck. They are pretty much set for a stock suspension truck out of the box. If you have any mods you just tell them ahead of time and they can choose to tweak it for you if needed. And if you add or change anything on your truck in the future you can still send it back in free of charge for him to retweak it.

I have a stock suspension and mine was pretty much 99 percent perfect out of the box. The reason I say 99 percent is the 1-2 and 2-3 shift were exactly where i wanted it. the 3-4 shift on occasions will shift a little firmer then i like but nothing violent just a little pet peeve. Doesn't bother me enough to remove it and have him retweak it though still very pleased with it. Driving around town normal it shifts 99 percent like stock and you can't even tell you have a performance valve body in it. When you get on it every time you going to say "Why didn't Ford put this in from the factory?" It will chirp/spin the tires going 1-2 and 2-3 will get you a chirp most the time depending on your tire choice. I have NT05s and for a pretty sticky street tire it still likes to spin them most the time into second. Truly one of the best mods I have done to any car I have ever owned with almost zero downfall unlike most performance parts.

A little word of advice if you do your own change on your valve body. The transmission pan bolts are junk. If you haven't removed your transmission pan bolts for many years like me cause I only had 33k miles on mine they will corrode pretty bad and may snap on you taking them off. I recommend heating them up spraying them down very good with a penetration fluid multiple times including you can get to the backside of several of the bolts too on the top side of the transmission. Then I would find a good flat punch and give each one a good hit with the punch on head of the bolt to help break away any corrosion. Then try to remove them. Then go up to the hardware store and buy some good stainless steel bolts and put those back in since you may not have to remove your bolts for a very long time now that you change your fluid without removing your pan.

So again if I had to buy a Punisher Valve Body over again i would do it every time. One of the best mods ever. Hard for me not to push the gas down every time I take off just to feel it shift. Seriously though Ford could have put this in at the factory and they would have less complaints from firm shifts then they did from everyone complaining about soft shifts. And it extends the life of your transmission clutch packs will less wear between shifts!

^^^^ Awesome response for sure, great job and very informative.

I own Woodbine Motorsports and can tell you that the Punisher valve body is the number one selling valve body around and even the number of valve bodies we sell to this day surprises me considering how old these trucks are getting. Paul does a great job of making these for us and can custom tailor the valve body to your particular needs, just fill out the extra information form when you order from our website at www.woodbinemotorsports.com and I'll take care of the rest. No core return required either!!!

[email protected]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts