Lightning Rodder banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
This type of failure is why Ford drilled deeper into the snout for the cobrajet crankshaft. The deeper hole transfers the stresses further into the crank and out of the weak snout area. I had my stock crank machined to accept a cobrajet bolt.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Are you not running that custom "caged" lower that was made years ago for us?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Are you not running that custom "caged" lower that was made years ago for us?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Nope, sold it a while ago. Went twins

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Reactions: utlong31

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
This is my biggest fear swinging my 11" lower. Crank stress is magnified with the larger circumference. And I would hate to ruin my GT block that is not easily replaced. Next build will have a billet crank, but that is going to cost...

Jim
11IN lower?? Damn and I thought I was pulleyed to the moon! I’m on a 10 lower and 3 upper.

It’s very odd tho…. My Innovate Motorsports electronic boost gauge taps out at 23-24PSI. On dyno.. on there machine it read 27.9PSI!!! I don’t understand this shit sometimes lol.

Definitely going to a cobra jet crank or else billet next go around

·
Registered
28 Posts
Curouis my Lightning has original 28,000
Mikes never been races I’m older just love my truck
But u say was stock ? Or built to 1000 hp ?
How much does these sort of repairs cost normally for people have no mechanical abilities ?
i drive my truck on Sundays 20
Mikes only to play tennis hahaha
It runs like new still seems strong engine

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
11,545 Posts
Curouis my Lightning has original 28,000
Mikes never been races I’m older just love my truck
But u say was stock ? Or built to 1000 hp ?
How much does these sort of repairs cost normally for people have no mechanical abilities ?
i drive my truck on Sundays 20
Mikes only to play tennis hahaha
It runs like new still seems strong engine
Yeah. Same here. Mine's just a weekend toy. Only if the weather is good. 18 years old, 73,000 miles. Unlike so many others, if anything were ever to happen to my engine like this thread shows, I'd sell the entire truck for scrap and move on. Love my Lightning, and it's enough of a money pit as it is now, can't imagine spending 18 grand on a motor. No way Jose!

·
10 second street truck
12,717 Posts
Yeah. Same here. Mine's just a weekend toy. Only if the weather is good. 18 years old, 73,000 miles. Unlike so many others, if anything were ever to happen to my engine like this thread shows, I'd sell the entire truck for scrap and move on. Love my Lightning, and it's enough of a money pit as it is now, can't imagine spending 18 grand on a motor. No way Jose!

When. Not if. You've got an aftermarket blower on a stock tune. It'll let go.

·
11,545 Posts
When. Not if. You've got an aftermarket blower on a stock tune. It'll let go.
Right. But the MP is just a glorified Eaton. Only difference is the rotors are moved forward and the snout is shorter. I'm only doing ten pounds boost. So far it's doing great. Spins up those YUGE M & H 345's effortlessly, even with long bars. The sound is lovely.

·
10 second street truck
12,717 Posts
Right. But the MP is just a glorified Eaton. Only difference is the rotors are moved forward and the snout is shorter. I'm only doing ten pounds boost. So far it's doing great. Spins up those YUGE M & H 345's effortlessly, even with long bars. The sound is lovely.
I ran an mp. I know what they are.

·
11,545 Posts
Just saying, it's not a YUGE difference from an Eaton. Not like a Whipple or Kenne Bell.

·
11,545 Posts
Why, Robert doesn’t drive any faster then 25mph.
🤣
LOL!

Incorrect. I've been triple digits on I-240 more than once. The eastern end of it, where I-40 feeds off onto it, is very sparsely populated. No homes, no buildings, very few on or off ramps, and they're usually empty. Everyone hits the loud pedal when they exit I-40 onto 240. 80, 90 100 or more. I've been on it on one or the other of my bikes, and it scares the hell out of me the way people drive on it while I'm riding. But yeah, come off I-40, turn the OD off, drop the hammer. Especially if I am the only one there. And that happens a lot. Then exit 240, and go around Lake Stanley Draper. Really nice 15 mile curvy road, and quite often, don't see another vehicle going my way all the way around it.

Since I have a new set of rims, and soon tires, been out smoking the M & H 345's that are currently on it. They're pretty far gone anyways, so why not enjoy lighting them up before tossing them? Only problem is the mess it makes on the truck behind the wheels. LMAO!!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts