Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be doing a built long block faster than I'd planned. Broke the motor last night with the KB and 20 psi of boost. Now before you say "I told you so!" I think a built motor would have broken the same way.

Getting on the freeway behind a very slow vehicle so when I could I stood on it to pass in the other lane. Right before shifting out of second gear it nosed over and I immediately pulled out of it. Too late, melted a piston/plug(s) is my guess. Plenty of smoke, running on 6-7 cylinders, but no rod knock. Was able to drive it, and it still starts. LOTS of oil out the right side of the engine.

I'm guessing I just found out the limits of the stock fuel injectors and pump. I've datalogged it before in high gear and the A/F has always stayed in the 11.2-11.2:1 range, nice and fat. No detonation. Thing is no blower motor can handle going lean under full throttle.

My guess is the temps made the difference as I had done the full throttle tuning in the 90 degree range and it was only mid 60's last night.

It felt just like it ran out of gas, but the reaction to the nosing over just wasn't quite quick enough. My feelings are that I would have killed any motor in there. At least I didn't kick the rods out, lol!!!!!!!!! And no, I'm not going to try to warranty it!

:D

I am open to fuel system upgrade recommendations though! Looking at 55# injectors and Bosch pump(s). Going to be swapping out for the SCT maf to go with their Pro Racer system.

Jody

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry to hear about your L but it sounds like you already have a pretty good idea of what your going to do for your new engine.

BTW, I finally got an L this past Friday in the Bay Area. I was the guy that emailed you a few times asking about your L purchase. Oh ya, I live in Sacramento County like you. Maybe one of these days we can hook up and I can check out your L (well, when it gets better :razz: ).

Steve

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That'd be great Steve. Where did you end up going?

Jody

·
Registered
16 Posts
Frontier Ford in Santa Clara. I swindled them down to invoice (with the bedliner and tonneau cover). It's Silver and only had 8 miles on it. I'm very happy so far :D

Steve

·
Registered
367 Posts
Sorry to hear about that I was just thinking of posting that I was looking for a stock 5.4 block I was going to start builfing one to have in the garage just for that reason. She will better and faster than ever.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts