Lightning Rodder banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
GoD GiVeN
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Picked up the TB from my friend James yesterday. The plenum and TB are boxed up and it'll be on it's way to you shortly. Overslept a tad today, so noon it's not going to be. More like 1400.
Sounds great man, thank you so much for doing this!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My truck has never passed smog in CA you just have to be willing to pay extra in order to pass but yeah CA is getting strict with emissions and smog check points not to mention if you get a state ref you have to pay the fine or if you have loud exhaust its a 1k fine but lay low and you should be fine.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,148 Posts
Parts were shipped yesterday, should have them Monday.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
That's pretty crazy that you can pass the actual smog test but fail a visual, isn't the actual smog test more important and a better indicator of environmental impact? I got a little concerned with my move to Texas and that some places smog test, luckily the county I am moving to doesn't require it.

·
10,148 Posts
California has to be the worse state to live if you like any kind of modified vehicle wow
Didn't use to be. I lived there from 1976 to 2002. There were no smog tests up until sometime in the mid 90's, IIRC. And then they were bi-annual. I guess now they are annual. But yeah, they did a visual check even on the bi-annual.

I never understood why the concern over the visual either. As long as what's coming out the tail pipe is meeting requirements, who cares what it looks like? Stupid!

·
GoD GiVeN
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
California has to be the worse state to live if you like any kind of modified vehicle wow
Didn't use to be. I lived there from 1976 to 2002. There were no smog tests up until sometime in the mid 90's, IIRC. And then they were bi-annual. I guess now they are annual. But yeah, they did a visual check even on the bi-annual.

I never understood why the concern over the visual either. As long as what's coming out the tail pipe is meeting requirements, who cares what it looks like? Stupid!
Yeah, it is pretty stupid, this is the first time I have been flagged for my plenum and throttle body... with that said, I go my parts in today from cbxer55... Once I get them installed and get my P1000 drive cycle complete, I can go and have it all checked again, so much fun...

I will keep you all updated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Smog inspector and fellow Lightning owner here. I agree the smog program in California is a mess. You have to understand that smog guys are just doing their jobs. The state scores us every 6 months and that "star score" is what keeps us in business. If it drops too low, my job is at risk. We have to treat everyone like they are out to get us. The bureau of automotive repair send "under cover" cars to shops to bust them. We are humans and make mistakes. That one mistake can cost us our livelihood. I personally know a smog guy I worked with that overlooked some performance mods on a mustang and lost his license. He had to pay a $3000 fine on top of that. If I see a modified car come in, which is actually rare, it immediately throws up red flags that it could be an under cover sting. I understand you were a regular at this place, but it's just not really worth the risk for a shop to potentially take a financial hit because you want your truck to go faster with aftermarket parts. So if you wanna be mad at anyone, be mad at the dummies at BAR and CARB that make the rules. The smog inspectors are just doing their jobs. Thanks for your time.

·
GoD GiVeN
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Smog inspector and fellow Lightning owner here. I agree the smog program in California is a mess. You have to understand that smog guys are just doing their jobs. The state scores us every 6 months and that "star score" is what keeps us in business. If it drops too low, my job is at risk. We have to treat everyone like they are out to get us. The bureau of automotive repair send "under cover" cars to shops to bust them. We are humans and make mistakes. That one mistake can cost us our livelihood. I personally know a smog guy I worked with that overlooked some performance mods on a mustang and lost his license. He had to pay a $3000 fine on top of that. If I see a modified car come in, which is actually rare, it immediately throws up red flags that it could be an under cover sting. I understand you were a regular at this place, but it's just not really worth the risk for a shop to potentially take a financial hit because you want your truck to go faster with aftermarket parts. So if you wanna be mad at anyone, be mad at the dummies at BAR and CARB that make the rules. The smog inspectors are just doing their jobs. Thanks for your time.
Thanks for your input, and Welcome to LR.......

·
GoD GiVeN
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
So, I got the parts and factory tune installed, seems to be driving good. Once I get through the drive cycle and all monitors are ready, I can then make another appointment to have my truck checked again, fingers crossed no issues pop up between now and then. Thanks again guys for all the help.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Adam, hope it goes well for you, sorry I couldn't help this time. The drive cycles are can be difficult to complete. I getting ready to get mine done by the end of this month, hope it goes good.

·
GoD GiVeN
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Adam, hope it goes well for you, sorry I couldn't help this time. The drive cycles are can be difficult to complete. I getting ready to get mine done by the end of this month, hope it goes good.
Thanks man, I am just hoping to not throw any codes since most of the monitor stuff is turned off in my custom tune :)

·
10,148 Posts
How do you expect to pass if monitors are turned off? Don't they check the monitors as part of the inspection? I thought they did.

·
Dude
2,297 Posts
If I were you, and if you are actually going to a referee, And you have all stock intake and you are trying to get all 8 monitors to clear, I would put the stock tune back in. I have an L swapped F150 and when I lived in SOCAL I had to go through all the hoops with the referee to get mine to pass for my Lmotor swap. Took me 14 visits to the ref's, :smt08918 months driving with no tags (it was my work truck), drivng around with a stack of 1 day driving passes. I got pulled over 6 times. Ticketed once, impounded once:smt089. Major hassle basically took it all back to stock everything except my exhaust after the Cats and my Volant cold air box which had a CARB sticker under the hood. I was running the stock Maf as well.The final piece of the puzzle that got the monitors to clear was the accordian syle stock rubber intake. Swanson a Lightning tuner up in Long Beach suggested using it and he was right. I borrowed one from another L rodder member here and 2 days of driving later passed the elusive 8th monitor. Drove it straight to the ref's and after he spent an hour and a half of him checking absolutely everything.....it passed. Could not believe it when he told me, and I asked him to tell me again just to make sure I wasn't hearing things.

Then I asked him where was the closest AAA:hifu drove straight there and got my tags.:rockon_ford:bigtu. Then I drove straight home put in my Kenne Bell 2.3 with my JLP sheetmetal intake, my BA3000 Maf , and LFP SBTB, loaded my custom tune and went and did some burnouts legally![smilie=3g:smt023 Wish you all the luck.:cheers If you need something let me know I still have all the stuff I used to pass and would be happy to assist in any way to help you pass and stick it to those guys.[smilie=om I now live in a state thats cheaper to live in, doesnt even pop the hood, and could care less if your missing a cat or 2.

·
10,148 Posts
But, unfortunately for you, Colorado is being infested with ex-commiefornia libtards who will eventually succeed in turning Colorado into California part V or VI. They've already focked up Oregon and Washington, are working on Texas. Never fails to amaze me. You fock up one place so bad you can't stand to live there anymore. What do you do? Go to another and start all over again! :shitstormretarded

From what I understand, Denver is already a lost cause due to these whackos. Parts of Texas such as Houston and Austin are already gone. Texas used to be considered a "red" state, but it's now "purple". Expected to be a "blue" state by 2024. Just in time to vote for AOC!~~~~~ LOL!!!

·
GoD GiVeN
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
How do you expect to pass if monitors are turned off? Don't they check the monitors as part of the inspection? I thought they did.
If I were you, and if you are actually going to a referee, And you have all stock intake and you are trying to get all 8 monitors to clear, I would put the stock tune back in.
You guys missed my post #50, I am running the stock tune, I was saying my custom tune has the monitors turned off, that is how I failed that part from the referee, i didn't know my tune had the monitors turned off. So, two days of driving with the factory tune and no CEL, so I am hoping that I get the monitors cleared.

With that said, does anybody have a stock intake boot laying around I can borrow. I am all for getting the monitors cleared as soon as I can so I can get this back to the referee.

·
Dude
2,297 Posts
I do have the stock intake and you are welcome to borrow it if you cant find anyone local to loan you one.

·
10,148 Posts
Thanks man, but I got hooked up from cbxer55 with a plenum and tb
I wonder if Killer Ride was just saying that he has that krinkly rubber intake boot?

·
GoD GiVeN
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I wonder if Killer Ride was just saying that he has that krinkly rubber intake boot?
Oh, shoot, you might be correct, that didn't don on me about the intake boot.

I do have the stock intake and you are welcome to borrow it if you cant find anyone local to loan you one.
Let me see how this P1000 code thing goes with my K&N and I will get back to you on that, good looking out man! I appreciate it

41 - 60 of 74 Posts